"The Gimp" and its plugins?

Old January 28th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RolandRB

Default "The Gimp" and its plugins?

Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

Old January 28th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rebecca Ore

In article . com,
"RolandRB" wrote:

Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

I've got it installed but don't use it that much. Try the beta 2.3. If
you're scanning to tif, you don't need many plug ins other than those
installed, but Gimp has a website that shows the latest plugins. I use
DarwinPorts on Mac. If you're on Windows, I believe there are various
compiled binaries now, but I don't really know much about them.
Old January 28th 07, 12:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Richard Polhill

RolandRB wrote:
Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

Yes it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to PhotoShop. Interface may
take some getting used to but no more than Photoshop's.

I have not yet found the need for any plugins, in fact the compiled
binaries on Windows and Mac OS come with verious special effects plug
ins that mostly I've never even looked at.

What plug ins do you think you might need?
Old January 28th 07, 02:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RolandRB

On 28 Jan, 12:02, Richard Polhill
wrote:
RolandRB wrote:
Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?Yes it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to PhotoShop. Interface may

take some getting used to but no more than Photoshop's.

I have not yet found the need for any plugins, in fact the compiled
binaries on Windows and Mac OS come with verious special effects plug
ins that mostly I've never even looked at.

What plug ins do you think you might need?

Anti noise/grain plugins

Old January 28th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

RolandRB wrote:
Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

I used a couple years ago under both Windows and Linux.

The main complaint I have is while doing USM that you have to set the
parameter, let it run, examine the result, undo, change parameters, run
it... eg: the pre-viewing while adjusting is not very good. They may
have improved it in the meantime.

My other complaint is that it ran in 8-bit image mode. There was a
separate version of it that did images in 16 bit, however it missed a
lot of the other upgrades to the main Gimp edition.

In short, the user interface is not as natural to use as PS, and the 16
bit image mode is not (was not, anyway) in the main release.

It's worth a try (as it costs nothing but time), but keep your
expectations in check.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 28th 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Richard Polhill

Alan Browne wrote:
RolandRB wrote:

[...]

Progressed a lot since then. You may be impressed with the current version.
Old January 29th 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Lassi Hippeläinen

Richard Polhill wrote:
RolandRB wrote:
Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

Yes it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to PhotoShop. Interface may
take some getting used to but no more than Photoshop's.

Agree in both cases.

I have not yet found the need for any plugins, in fact the compiled
binaries on Windows and Mac OS come with verious special effects plug
ins that mostly I've never even looked at.

If you want to scan directly from Gimp, you'll need the Xsane plugin.
I'm not sure if it comes with the Windows or Mac versions by default. It
doesn't with Kubuntu Linux packages, but it is only a few clicks away in
Synaptic.

What plug ins do you think you might need?

I.e. what effects do you need?

-- Lassi
Old January 29th 07, 12:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
RolandRB

On 29 Jan, 12:00, Lassi Hippeläinen
wrote:
Richard Polhill wrote:
RolandRB wrote:
Does anyone use "The Gimp" as an image editor and if so, which plugins
do you recommend?

Yes it is a perfectly acceptable alternative to PhotoShop. Interface may
take some getting used to but no more than Photoshop's.Agree in both cases.

I have not yet found the need for any plugins, in fact the compiled
binaries on Windows and Mac OS come with verious special effects plug
ins that mostly I've never even looked at.If you want to scan directly from Gimp, you'll need the Xsane plugin.

I'm not sure if it comes with the Windows or Mac versions by default. It
doesn't with Kubuntu Linux packages, but it is only a few clicks away in
Synaptic.

What plug ins do you think you might need?I.e. what effects do you need?

I note they have a despckler but I was wanting something more to
reduce film grain.

Old January 29th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Toni Nikkanen

Lassi Hippeläinen writes:

If you want to scan directly from Gimp, you'll need the Xsane
plugin. I'm not sure if it comes with the Windows or Mac versions by
default. It doesn't with Kubuntu Linux packages, but it is only a few
clicks away in Synaptic.

Is the Gimp better than Photoshop in this respect? What I mean is that
if I scan directly into Photoshop, the application is blocked until the
scanning is complete (which makes the feature useless if I can scan 4-24
frames at the same time - I'd rather scan into files using a separate
application in that case.)

Old January 29th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Rebecca Ore

In article ,
Toni Nikkanen wrote:

Lassi Hippeläinen writes:

If you want to scan directly from Gimp, you'll need the Xsane
plugin. I'm not sure if it comes with the Windows or Mac versions by
default. It doesn't with Kubuntu Linux packages, but it is only a few
clicks away in Synaptic.

Is the Gimp better than Photoshop in this respect? What I mean is that
if I scan directly into Photoshop, the application is blocked until the
scanning is complete (which makes the feature useless if I can scan 4-24
frames at the same time - I'd rather scan into files using a separate
application in that case.)

Trying Gimp Beta 2.3 right now, it called up my Epson scanning program
from GimpTwain, which came with the install. (I tend to scan with
Vuescan). I suspect that it wouldn't be any different from Photoshop in
that regard but I didn't attempt a scan. I'm using the DarwinPorts
version of Gimp Beta 2.3.