Why are tripod collars so hard to find?

Old January 21st 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Default Why are tripod collars so hard to find?

I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to find
very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular lenses,
and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to make a generic
one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Mark I lens that
is somewhat heavy and I'd like to get a generic collar for tripod
mounting, but I cannot find anything suitable. Anyone know of anything
available?

I have one that came with my 70-200 f2.8L IS, and even a replacement
for that, if I were to need one for whatever reason, doesn't seem to be
available. Why are they not more readily available?
Old January 21st 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

TheDaveŠ wrote:
I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to find
very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular lenses,
and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to make a generic
one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Mark I lens that

Doesn't strike me as a size that would really benefit from a collar...
the weight would shift so much to the body as to make it awkward. I
have a 100 f/2.8 macro (Minolta) that is not at all large enough to
consider a collar, exp. considering that my bodies are relatively heavy.

But it you do need one ... G'luck.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old January 21st 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Alan Browne wrote:
TheDaveŠ wrote:
I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to find
very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular lenses,
and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to make a
generic one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Mark
I lens that

Doesn't strike me as a size that would really benefit from a
collar... the weight would shift so much to the body as to make it
awkward. I have a 100 f/2.8 macro (Minolta) that is not at all large
enough to consider a collar, exp. considering that my bodies are
relatively heavy.

But it you do need one ... G'luck.

I don't know if I'd say "need", but it is heavier than other lenses of
comparable size, and I feel that it would put less stress on the mount
if I did have one.
Old January 21st 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

TheDaveŠ wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
TheDaveŠ wrote:
I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to
find very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular
lenses, and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to
make a generic one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8
Macro Mark I lens that

Doesn't strike me as a size that would really benefit from a
collar... the weight would shift so much to the body as to make it
awkward. I have a 100 f/2.8 macro (Minolta) that is not at all
large enough to consider a collar, exp. considering that my bodies
are relatively heavy.

But it you do need one ... G'luck.

I don't know if I'd say "need", but it is heavier than other lenses of
comparable size, and I feel that it would put less stress on the mount
if I did have one.

I should also add that I feel it would distribute the weight more
evenly and reduce the potential for camera shake.

Old January 22nd 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mark˛

TheDaveŠ wrote:
TheDaveŠ wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:
TheDaveŠ wrote:
[...]

It would help. As I'm sure you know, macro work is sensitive to even the
SLIGHTEST of head slips/movements when framing, and the torque on the head
is significantly reduced by moving the connection point forward.

--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by Mark˛ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson

Old January 22nd 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

TheDaveŠ wrote:
I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to find
very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular lenses,
and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to make a generic
one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Mark I lens that
is somewhat heavy and I'd like to get a generic collar for tripod
mounting, but I cannot find anything suitable. Anyone know of anything
available?

They are available, but expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ist&sku=194450

Old January 22nd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
TheDaveŠ

Annika1980 wrote:
TheDave) wrote:
I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to find
very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular lenses,
and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to make a
generic one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Mark
I lens that is somewhat heavy and I'd like to get a generic collar
for tripod mounting, but I cannot find anything suitable. Anyone
know of anything available?

They are available, but expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s&Q=&is=REG&O=
productlist&sku=194450

I looked at B&H, but that one didn't come up in my search. You're
right, that is expensive. I'll have to keep an eye out on the used
market. Thanks.

Old January 22nd 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"TheDaveŠ" wrote in message
Annika1980 wrote:
TheDave) wrote:
I've looked at online stores, and on eBay, and I can't seem to find
very many at all. Most are specific designed for particular lenses,
and even then are almost non-existent. Nobody seems to make a
generic one that I can find. I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro Mark
I lens that is somewhat heavy and I'd like to get a generic collar
for tripod mounting, but I cannot find anything suitable. Anyone
know of anything available?

They are available, but expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...s&Q=&is=REG&O=
productlist&sku=194450

I looked at B&H, but that one didn't come up in my search. You're
right, that is expensive. I'll have to keep an eye out on the used
market. Thanks.

It seems to me that, unless the lens weighs significantly more than the
camera, one wouldn't need a separate mount for it....The camera should be
capable of holding at least it's own weight by the mount.....For example, my
F5 weighs about 2-12 pounds, so I don't even think about a lens tripod mount
unless the lens weighs like 3 pounds or more. (and I don't have any lenses
that weigh that much) Any lens that does weigh 3 pounds or more should have
a built-in tripod mount......