Focusing screen for Nikon FE

Old October 13th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Armando

Default Focusing screen for Nikon FE

Hi @all!

I'd like to change the standard (type K) focusing screen of my Nikon FE.
I have sometimes difficulties to focus when I make astro-photos.
I prefer to buy the best focusing screen for astro-photography ( bright,
with no grigs, no split image, ...)

What do You think about Beattie Intenscreen focusing screens?

I hope a Nikon type B focusing screen could be good enough.
But I'm not able to find it.
Could I mount a B2 focusing screen?
And what about a B3 one?
Is B3 better than B2?
I can ignore the exposure compensation problem, since I use exposure
times of 10-20 minutes according to seeing on 400 ISO films...
And for daylight photos I could always set the appropriate exposure
compensation...

Thank You and Best Regards
Armando
Old October 13th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Armando" wrote in message
Hi @all!

I'd like to change the standard (type K) focusing screen of my Nikon FE.
I have sometimes difficulties to focus when I make astro-photos.
I prefer to buy the best focusing screen for astro-photography ( bright,
with no grigs, no split image, ...)

Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't you just use infinity for all
astro photos? - I mean, you could focus on a distant hill during the
daylight hours, and then just not change anything until you take your
nighttime pictures....

Old October 13th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Armando

William Graham ha scritto:

Perhaps I'm missing something, but wouldn't you just use infinity for all
astro photos? - I mean, you could focus on a distant hill during the
daylight hours, and then just not change anything until you take your
nighttime pictures....

Hi William,

I use the camera on a telescope. And accurate focusing is required.
Focusing is critical for astro-photos and with standard focusing screen
I've no problem only when the Moon is visible, thanks to split image.
For deep-sky photos (when the Moon is not visible) I'm never sure to
have properly focused...
Old October 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Armando" wrote

focusing screen of my Nikon FE ... astro-photos.

"D" is the usual choice for astrophotography.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation

Old October 13th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Philip Homburg

In article , Armando wrote:
I use the camera on a telescope. And accurate focusing is required.
Focusing is critical for astro-photos and with standard focusing screen
I've no problem only when the Moon is visible, thanks to split image.
For deep-sky photos (when the Moon is not visible) I'm never sure to
have properly focused...

Nikon made the type C screen for astrophotography. This screen is designed
for parallax focusing. Unfortunately, there is no C screen for the FE. I
don't know if there is another company that makes those types of screen for
the FE. Otherwise, it would be best to get such a screen and an F or F2.

I think that the ground glass part of the B and E screens is that same as
on the K screen. If you have trouble focussing using the ground glass part
of the K screen then I doubt that a B, B2, or B3 is going to be much
of an improvement.

Old October 14th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Philip Homburg" wrote

Nikon made the type C screen for astrophotography. This screen is designed
for parallax focusing.

The C-Screen works great for photomicrography but I haven't had luck
with astrophotography. The problem with the C screen [clear focusing
spot with cross-hairs] is I can't see the cross-hairs unless I am looking
at the moon or large [in the finder] planet.

I use an E screen and swing the scope to a bright star to focus on
and then return to the object to photograph.

For focusing dim images with a view camera a pencil line is drawn on
the GG at the part of the image where the camera is to be focused and
then a drop of oil is applied to the GG. The oil film smoothes out the
GG enough that parallax focusing can be done with the pencil line.

I don't know if a drop of light oil on an E screen would work, but
it might.

Old October 14th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Armando

Nicholas O. Lindan ha scritto:
"Armando" wrote

focusing screen of my Nikon FE ... astro-photos.

"D" is the usual choice for astrophotography.

Since no compensation is required by using a B3 in place of B2 focusing
screen, and 1/3 stop compensation is required by using a B2 in place of
B focusing screen, I simply need 1/3 stop compensation to use a B3 on my
Nikon FE.
But can a B3 focusing screen be mounted on a Nikon FE?

Thank You again!
Armando
Old October 15th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Gordon Moat

Armando wrote:
Nicholas O. Lindan ha scritto:

"Armando" wrote

focusing screen of my Nikon FE ... astro-photos.

"D" is the usual choice for astrophotography.

Since no compensation is required by using a B3 in place of B2 focusing
screen, and 1/3 stop compensation is required by using a B2 in place of
B focusing screen, I simply need 1/3 stop compensation to use a B3 on my
Nikon FE.
But can a B3 focusing screen be mounted on a Nikon FE?

Thank You again!
Armando

Absolutely. I didn't see any difference between the B2 and B3 in use. If
you are doing critical focus, you might consider adding the DG-2
eyepiece magnifier. That provides a 2x magnification, though only in the
centre of the screen.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio
http://www.allgstudio.com

Old October 15th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Armando

Gordon Moat ha scritto:

Absolutely. I didn't see any difference between the B2 and B3 in use. If
you are doing critical focus, you might consider adding the DG-2
eyepiece magnifier. That provides a 2x magnification, though only in the
centre of the screen.

Ciao!

Thank You Gordon!
What about a Beattie Intenscreen or Maxwell or Brightscreen?

Armando
Old October 18th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
henryp

Location: New York, NY

Armando wrote:
What about a Beattie Intenscreen or Maxwell or Brightscreen?

This is NOT from personal experience but people in several Nikon forums
I frequent all say Maxwell's best. Your mileage may vary.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.