[SI] Some more Chrome comments

Old October 4th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Quercus

Default [SI] Some more Chrome comments

Hi there, only a few lines for each picture, as if I try to write
longer comments may be I never send them. And I think I prefer more
comments than longer ones if I have to choose. Only saying that I've
been out of the Shootin for quite a long time and that after shooting
for chrome and reading the comments I'm happy I found it for the first
time and happy for being round here again, I learn and enjoy a lot with
this :-)

Doug Payne:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586623
This wins for me. That soft ligth, the well polished metal and the
straight and curved lines make a great balanced image. It makes you
think about having that Pontiac in the garage and just sit there for
hours staring at it

Rich Pos:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586656
Unexpected. I thought we were all sending motorcycle exaust tubes and
you send a head... I'm not sure if I like it or not, so I guess I do
like it somehow :-)

Jim Kramer:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586663
Nice eyes, amazing sharpness in them, but may be a little more depth of
field would be better too much blur all around for me. Did you first
saw the fly and thought about the Chrome mandate or you found it later
when viewing the pictures at home?

Mardon Erbland:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586924
Chrome's mission in life is to reflect things, so being yourself
reflected is a great opportunity to say "Look! I was there!!" Good idea
with the bolts, I couldn't find any chormed like those. I think that
showing only one or two of those would have made a stronger image and
telling the same story as they are easy to identify.

Quercus:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586931
Man, next time use that little wheel and get a lower f-number, so
you'll get lower depth of field and a more blurred background (the one
you got isn't that bad anyway ;-)

Duncan Chesley:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586959
It's a pity that Godot isn't polished, as Bobby seems to be staring at
it thinking "what the hell is Duncan doing?". Nice shot.

Bowser:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67589560
As I said to Mardon, I like photographers being reflected in things.
And I know you chose that red t-shirt to look fine besides that truck
:-) The yellow light is disturbing there, as others said, but probably
it would be hard to get it out of the frame and keeping the "horn" so
you can imagine the air flow that makes it sound, that I do like. So...
:-?

Ken Nadvornick:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67594765
Definitely, there is chrome here
A bit too simmetrical for me, I would have tried a closer approach not
to show the whole thing at once (and probably screwing the picture ;-)
Nice exposure and sharpness anyway. Well done.

Katarina Pantelic:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67664144
Same feeling as with Jim's picture, nice colors and nice sharpness, but
too narrow DOF for me. Background seems to be far enough so you don't
need such a blur in the corners and leaves. May be I just like macro
pictures that way.

Old October 4th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Duncan Chesley

On 4 Oct 2006 09:48:37 -0700, "Quercus" wrote:

Duncan Chesley:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586959
It's a pity that Godot isn't polished, as Bobby seems to be staring at
it thinking "what the hell is Duncan doing?". Nice shot.

For some reason Bobby is always looking at me like that. Or maybe it's
just me...

Thanks, Q.

Cheers,
DuncanC

Old October 5th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Kinon O'cann

"Quercus" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well, I think you like my shot more than I do. You are correct, I was unable
to frame and eliminate the damned yellow light, and I don't PS my images
except for levels and resizing, so it stayed.

It was a pretty nice truck, though. Loud, too.

Old October 5th 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

Default Some more Chrome comments

Katarina Pantelic:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67664144
Same feeling as with Jim's picture, nice colors and nice sharpness, but
too narrow DOF for me. Background seems to be far enough so you don't
need such a blur in the corners and leaves. May be I just like macro
pictures that way.

hi Q,

to tell you the truth, they were running away from each other, I had to
grab what I could.
but it always surprise me how nature can come up with such a crazy
metalic colours... quite weird, don't you think?

greetZ
Cat

Old October 5th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mardon

"Quercus" wrote:

Mardon Erbland:
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/67586924
Chrome's mission in life is to reflect things, so being yourself
reflected is a great opportunity to say "Look! I was there!!"
Good idea with the bolts, I couldn't find any chormed like
those. I think that showing only one or two of those would have
made a stronger image and telling the same story as they are
easy to identify.

Thanks for the comments. Good to have you back at SI.

It's interesting that you say a single nut might look better. That
was exactly my intent when I first saw the wheel and the shots of 1
or 2 nuts, separated from the others, were the first that I took.
Only after not feeling so sure of those images as seen in the
viewfinder did I photograph the entire wheel as a fall-back idea.
When I got to see them on my PC, I hated the images of only 1 or 2
nuts. I felt the entire wheel was much better. I'd be curious what
you think. Here is a link to one of the single nut images. BTW,
pretty much crop exclusively to a 3:2 aspect ratio. I know the image
would look better if it were a bit more squarish but I impose the #:2
rule on almost all my images. Here's the single nut:
http://www.JustPhotos.ca/transfer/021201.jpg
Old October 6th 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Quercus

http://www.JustPhotos.ca/transfer/021201.jpg

Much better the one with only one nut, IMHO. Due to the curved lines
and other nuts round there, you can easily imagine that it is a wheel,
so the idea is transmitted and you have all the picture to concentrate
in the shapes and chrome thing. The reflected details in the nut, and
in the wheel besides it, make a stronger image, nice DOF too.

Definitely, I like this more than the one with the whole wheel

-Quercus-

Old October 6th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Mardon

"Quercus" wrote:

http://www.JustPhotos.ca/transfer/021201.jpg

Much better the one with only one nut, IMHO. Due to the curved
lines and other nuts round there, you can easily imagine that it
is a wheel, so the idea is transmitted and you have all the
picture to concentrate in the shapes and chrome thing. The
reflected details in the nut, and in the wheel besides it, make
a stronger image, nice DOF too.

Definitely, I like this more than the one with the whole wheel

-Quercus-

Thanks for the additional feedback, Quercus. I think it's
fascinating how people's taste in images can be just as diverse as
their taste in foods. Once I saw the image of the single nut on my
PC, I never even considered submitting it to the SI. It does
absolutely nothing for me compared to the image of the full wheel.
It's good that you've driven home to me the fact that my taste in
images isn't always what other's like. I knew this already but an
occasional reminder is good. Maybe I'll start shooting more
compositions that I don't like! So --- off I go to shoot a soft
focus, long shutter speed waterfall shot! LOL
Old October 6th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Frank ess

Mardon wrote:
"Quercus" wrote:

[...]

I like the whole wheel because it's more accessible: I don't have to
shift up or down as many gears because it's more of a match with
everyday eye-use.

I like the 'single' nut because even in whole-wheel type images I
almost invariably get down to that level, anyway; I'd have liked it
even more if the viewpoint had been down a little and maybe a bit to
the right, looking up some, so the object in the upper left could echo
the main nut a little. Seems to me there'd have been enough of the
wheel curve left in such a frame to evoke whole-wheelness.

Any road, given the same task and surroundings I might have made the
same choices, but not carried them off as well.

I missed "chrome" due to lack of inspiration and fear of cliche-ness;
however I _did_ photograph a (formerly) chromy thing a couple days
ago:
http://www.fototime.com/D9745D3AA4E9571/orig.jpg

Morris (Minor?) nose embellishment.

--