Why B&H is King...

Old May 12th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Why B&H is King...

Saturday night, 11:30PM:
--Internet order placed
Sunday Morning, 10:30AM:
--E-mail indicating all items SHIPPED, with tracking number.
Wednesday morning:
--At my doorstep, perfectly packed...rebate forms included.

Last night:
--Similar late-night order
--Checked status from work this AM (on hold 30 seconds, conversation:
less than 45 seconds)
--Already shipped, Fed-Ex over-night w/tracking, arrival tomorrow AM.

B&H:
Solid as a rock...every...single...time.

-MarkČ

Old May 12th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

B&H:
Solid as a rock...every...single...time.

Go on, I'll bite. What did you get then ?

Old May 12th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Mike wrote:
No, they aren't King. They are standard for normal businesses.

No they aren't "standard." If they were...they wouldn't have such loud
fans.
They also happen to carry the largest stock in the world...yet they manage
to keep the effective customer service most mammoth sized companies
lose...long before they become huge. They are strictly business, and get
you your info fast. No sales pitch...no BS. -Just business.

I'm not sure why people constantly post about how great B&H is.

Because the FEW reliable mail-order photography suppliers need to be
known...in a segment that is FILLED with sheisters, swindlers and criminals.

Must
be because there are so many lousy, shady photo retailers out there.
This is pretty standard business for dozens of internet retailers,
including amazon.com

Right.
"Dozens..." -Out of hundreds of thousands of "internet retailers."
"Dozens" ain't much.

(but my last 2 orders from B&H were horribly packed. The chemicals
leaked over everything)

And what was B&H's response?
They made it right. And there ya go.

Freestylephoto.biz is also fantastic. In fact for my last order, I
placed an order on Monday. On Tuesday I get a phone call saying that
they had to recall my shipment because they screwed up, but were
re-sending everything FedEx Overnight.

Good for them.
We need more success stories.

Old May 12th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
B&H:
Solid as a rock...every...single...time.

Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Old May 13th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I am sorry to hear this and apologize for having inconvenienced you.
Please contact me via e-mail with your order details so I can
investigate further.

It happened awhile ago and was taken care of. Thanks for the offer.

(and to clarify my previous post, I really do think that B&H offers
fantastic service...I wouldn't expect anything less and thankfully I
haven't yet gotten burned yet from other shady places)

Old May 13th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote:

Saturday night, 11:30PM:
--Internet order placed
Sunday Morning, 10:30AM:
--E-mail indicating all items SHIPPED, with tracking number.
Wednesday morning:
--At my doorstep, perfectly packed...rebate forms included.

Last night:
--Similar late-night order
--Checked status from work this AM (on hold 30 seconds, conversation:
less than 45 seconds)
--Already shipped, Fed-Ex over-night w/tracking, arrival tomorrow AM.

B&H:
Solid as a rock...every...single...time.

I wouldn't go that far. While we all apprecitate the best mail order
photography store in the world, they are not flawless:

-received an 80-200 f/2.8 len$ with the back cap loose due to their
poor packing.

-received a Minolta IV meter that dropped $20 the next day. (to their
credit, B&H refunded the difference within a day of me reporting the
discrepency).

I still recomend B&H and Adorama as safe and reliable suppliers. Just
don't be surprised when there is a bump in the road. I intend shortly
to order the Nikon 9000 from them, but as the US $ continues its plunge,
I'll wait a little longer...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 13th 06, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alan Browne wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

Saturday night, 11:30PM:
--Internet order placed
Sunday Morning, 10:30AM:
--E-mail indicating all items SHIPPED, with tracking number.
Wednesday morning:
--At my doorstep, perfectly packed...rebate forms included.

Last night:
--Similar late-night order
--Checked status from work this AM (on hold 30 seconds,
conversation: less than 45 seconds)
--Already shipped, Fed-Ex over-night w/tracking, arrival
tomorrow AM. B&H:
Solid as a rock...every...single...time.

I wouldn't go that far. While we all apprecitate the best mail order
photography store in the world, they are not flawless:

-received an 80-200 f/2.8 len$ with the back cap loose due to their
poor packing.

Oh dear!

-received a Minolta IV meter that dropped $20 the next day. (to their
credit, B&H refunded the difference within a day of me reporting the
discrepency).

And this is a problem...how?

I still recomend B&H and Adorama as safe and reliable suppliers. Just
don't be surprised when there is a bump in the road. I intend shortly
to order the Nikon 9000 from them, but as the US $ continues its
plunge, I'll wait a little longer...

Of course no entity is perfect.
B&H comes as close as anyone can.

Old May 13th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

MarkČ wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

MarkČ wrote:

Saturday night, 11:30PM:
--Internet order placed
Sunday Morning, 10:30AM:
--E-mail indicating all items SHIPPED, with tracking number.
Wednesday morning:
--At my doorstep, perfectly packed...rebate forms included.

Last night:
--Similar late-night order
--Checked status from work this AM (on hold 30 seconds,
conversation: less than 45 seconds)
--Already shipped, Fed-Ex over-night w/tracking, arrival
tomorrow AM. B&H:
Solid as a rock...every...single...time.

I wouldn't go that far. While we all apprecitate the best mail order
photography store in the world, they are not flawless:

-received an 80-200 f/2.8 len$ with the back cap loose due to their
poor packing.

Oh dear!

Caused me conniptions, but the lens has been near flawless (the hood
design is not the best and jammed the focus ring when I jumped out of a
helicopter with it attached. I didn't realize what the problem was till
an hour later.)

-received a Minolta IV meter that dropped $20 the next day. (to their
credit, B&H refunded the difference within a day of me reporting the
discrepency).

And this is a problem...how?

Not a problem, just an indication that they change pricing and it bears
watching.
I should have gotten the price on the day of shipping automatically. I
understand it was booked at one price and that it was "history" but I
also wonder if my buying it at one price triggered an inventory
clearance price level (eg: profit target was met, so clear the stock).

I still recomend B&H and Adorama as safe and reliable suppliers. Just
don't be surprised when there is a bump in the road. I intend shortly
to order the Nikon 9000 from them, but as the US $ continues its
plunge, I'll wait a little longer...

Of course no entity is perfect.

That's why I reacted to your "Solid as a rock...every...single...time."
otherwide I would not have replied beyond an "amen".

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 13th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alan Browne wrote:
MarkČ wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

MarkČ wrote:

[...]

I've ordered about 45 times from them over the years.
So far, they are 45 for 45...and that's all the way from NY to California
(plenty of space for poor packing to show up, etc.)
45 for 45 is close enough to perfect for me.

Old May 14th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

I live in Chicago. I have not purchased a thing locally in I don't know
how many years. Why? B&H beats them on price and taxes. Service superb.
I charge on my credit cards. Sometimes I send a postal money order.
They ship immediately. I buy everything from them except for printer
ink. Even used stuff. They are what they are, a terrific company. They
earned their reputation with real and consistent performance.