Contrast Wedding

Old May 1st 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

Default Contrast Wedding

Hi
I have a digital camera (canon 5D) that allows one to change the Contrast
from zero contrast to maximum (8)

I will be using the camera for a traditional wedding with the bride in a
white dress and the groom in a black suit.

How important is the contrast setting? It also has Sharpening, Saturation
and color Tone settings.

Will zero contrast give me the best tonal range, and what will the picture
look like?

Thanks

Old May 1st 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

In article , Jack wrote:

Hi
I have a digital camera (canon 5D) that allows one to change the Contrast
from zero contrast to maximum (8)

I will be using the camera for a traditional wedding with the bride in a
white dress and the groom in a black suit.

How important is the contrast setting? It also has Sharpening, Saturation
and color Tone settings.

Will zero contrast give me the best tonal range, and what will the picture
look like?

If you have to ask questions like this, perhaps you shouldn't be
photographing once-in-a-lifetime events.

Old May 1st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

"shutterbug" wrote in
:

wrote:

Hi
I have a digital camera (canon 5D) that allows one to change the
Contrast from zero contrast to maximum (8)

I will be using the camera for a traditional wedding with the bride
in a white dress and the groom in a black suit.

How important is the contrast setting? It also has Sharpening,
Saturation and color Tone settings.

Will zero contrast give me the best tonal range, and what will the
picture
look like?

If you have to ask questions like this, perhaps you shouldn't be
photographing once-in-a-lifetime events.

He has a point though! If you ruin a set of wedding photos,you can't
just restage the event and take them again, can you. I did wedding
photography myself for a while, and it's not as simple as 'point camera
and shoot'.
Old May 1st 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

How come nobody's answered my question?

I thought the idea of this newsgroup is mutual support.

Best wishes

"Richey" wrote in message
"shutterbug" wrote in
:

Old May 2nd 06, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

In article , shutterbug
wrote:

haven't been to this newsgroup in years.....still see randall is still a
pompous ass.....gee, nothing changes

Somebody is going to photograph an event that is the most important
event in at least two people's lives, and the questions he asks are
questions that shouldn't be asked. This is a wedding, not pictures of
your little kid washing the car.
Old May 2nd 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

Richey wrote:

"shutterbug" wrote in
:

haven't been to this newsgroup in years.....still see randall is still
a pompous ass.....gee, nothing changes

"Randall Ainsworth" wrote in message
. ..

In article , Jack
wrote:

Hi
I have a digital camera (canon 5D) that allows one to change the
Contrast from zero contrast to maximum (8)

I will be using the camera for a traditional wedding with the bride
in a white dress and the groom in a black suit.

How important is the contrast setting? It also has Sharpening,
Saturation and color Tone settings.

Will zero contrast give me the best tonal range, and what will the
picture
look like?

If you have to ask questions like this, perhaps you shouldn't be
photographing once-in-a-lifetime events.

He has a point though! If you ruin a set of wedding photos,you can't
just restage the event and take them again, can you. I did wedding
photography myself for a while, and it's not as simple as 'point camera
and shoot'.

If you're getting paid for it, you might be obliged to.

I know of one photographer who had to fly a whole wedding party down to
the caribean from the mid-west because he gummed it up the first time
round.

High society wedding, prominent families & he couldn't afford to ****
'em off.

Came out of his pocket, although I'm sure his business insurance covered
most of it, and the rest got written off on his taxes.
Old May 2nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

In article , no_name
wrote:

If you're getting paid for it, you might be obliged to.

I know of one photographer who had to fly a whole wedding party down to
the caribean from the mid-west because he gummed it up the first time
round.

High society wedding, prominent families & he couldn't afford to ****
'em off.

Came out of his pocket, although I'm sure his business insurance covered
most of it, and the rest got written off on his taxes.

Back when I had the studio, there was one of my competitors who - and I
know of at least two instances - had to pay to restage a wedding
because he screwed up the pictures.
Old May 2nd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

He has a point though! If you ruin a set of wedding photos,you can't
just restage the event and take them again, can you. I did wedding
photography myself for a while, and it's not as simple as 'point camera
and shoot'.

He didn't say that he had been hired to do that as a job. Though it is a
pro quality camera, it also could be someone that likes to use pro grade
equipment just because its the best and for them money is no object.

My personal suggestion is to do two things. First get the manuals out and
see what you can find out in there, with a possible call to Canon to help
explain what the controls actually do. Though I don't do weddings, the
trick would be to have as much flexibility as possible in the post capture
processing as possible. The more flexibility, the more likely you are to be
able to correct problems.

Second I would find some friends of theres to be test subjects. Ideally Id
want someone to wear the exact dress and suit that will be used on the big
day. If thats not possible get as close as you can, and then spend the day
playing with different settings, ect so you are not guessing what will
happen. You know what will happen.

Finally Id get there early with a lap top to check some early work. Slip a
CF card into a reader and check and make sure what you think is happening
really is before its all messed up. The monitors on the back of the camera
never worked that well for me for this. Better to find a few shots off and
fix the problem than have a whole card full of images with a problem that
can not be fixed.

Old May 2nd 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.people

Thanks for all this.
I find that the proof of the pudding is in the prints.

I can't really see the results until I see the prints in my hand.

I then have to decide whether the problem is the lighting, camera, lens
settings, flash etc.

Nothing is static when working with people photography.

How come people don't really know the Canon 5D?
I think I will try the Canon helpline.