still using 35mm

Old January 2nd 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default still using 35mm

Just came upon your group. Nice to see that folks are still using 35mm
film
cameras. I am using the Mamiya ZM, the final 35mm SLR in the line
before
Mamiya went out of the 35mm business. I have those superb
Mamiya/Sekor/Osawa
lenses which I use professionally. I shall continue to follow this
group.

Old January 2nd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Just came upon your group. Nice to see that folks are still using 35mm
film
cameras. I am using the Mamiya ZM, the final 35mm SLR in the line
before
Mamiya went out of the 35mm business. I have those superb
Mamiya/Sekor/Osawa
lenses which I use professionally. I shall continue to follow this
group.

I've handled Mamiya's normal lens and it was anything but superb. It's high
flare and so-so sharpness put it into a somewhat more pedestrian category,
when compared to the SMC Takumars or Nikors.

Old January 2nd 06, 04:53 PM
sobolik sobolik is offline
Junior Member

I say long live 35mm! I too am a die hard 35mm fan. The more I research a digital SLR to replace my film SLR the more I convince myself not to do something as foolish. The web is full of reasons why film is better than digital in all respects except computer interface convenience. Even so when I say such on a forum I invariably get a vicious attack from some juvenile who loves his folly and does not want to be reminded of it. More or less I get told to go away.
I do own non-SLR digitals for the convince of rapid computer interface but I doubt I will ever swap 35mm SLR for digital. I see only 2 reasons for doing so. 1) A pro who NEEDS rapid computer interface, such as Sears portraits, or some other situation. 2) For those who get a thrill out of playing with techno gizmos. And cant imagine not participating in the latest computer oriented craze.
I should shut up because while so many are spending thousands for digital I can be picking up a lot more of their used Film equipment for only hundreds. I do not want to reveal too loudly the best deals going. My film stuff will probably outlast my kids while the land fills are full of digitals. Long live 35mm!
Old January 2nd 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Michael Weinstein" wrote in message

Welcome. But beware. A large portion of the discussion on this newsgroup
is digital. The digital folks are trying to take over everything,
declaring film dead.
--

There was a discussion a year or so ago on this NG, with arguments being
presented to justify discussion of digital equipment on this 35mm NG.

Just because some of the main players in 35mm film equipment also happen to
produce digital cameras is hardly any justification to throw this "35mm"
group open to digital discussions. And we are already seeing a parallel
over on the Medium Format NG, with regular posts on the topic of digital
backs for MF cameras. All this does is to blur the lines of interest, and
make it more difficult for readers of the NGs to sort out posts on subjects
they consider irrelevant.

I personally would find it more palatable if the digital aficionados would
just give it a rest and stop trying to teach us film users the error of our
ways. Digital is different from film. It is not necessarily "better" or
"worse" than film, although one system may stand head-and-shoulders above
the other for specific types of applications. News photographers, as one
example, obtain many advantages with digital, in terms of speed and ability
to transmit the image back to their editors almost instantly. But those
criteria hardly affect an amateur photographer like me, who shoots for his
own pleasure and does not have deadlines to meet, or editors to satisfy.

The irony is that we can sense, intuitively, that many of those Digital
Apostles who so fervently are spreading their "Good News" have probably
*never* done any work on film and have never owned or used any decent film
gear themselves, yet they mischaracterize those of us that continue to use
our legacy equipment as just a bunch of brainless Neanderthals.

So, to all those Digital advocates--who are, no doubt, going to post
hundreds of replies to this post--all insisting that
Film-Is-Dead-And-Why-Can't-I-Understand-That--I concede defeat. You are
right. Film is dead. Anyone that uses it must be set in their ways. How
could anyone have been so foolish as to not see the handwriting on the wall?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to head out to the photofinisher and pick
up some Velvia slides that are ready . . .

Happy New Year! Film Is Dead? So What . . . ?