pentax *ist or panasonic fz30

Old November 17th 05, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default pentax *ist or panasonic fz30

Hi all,

have been having a look around for something to replace my Canon G2 - more
zoom primary and a bit more MP (secondarily)

I have 3 x lenses (28-70,35-80-100-300) to suit my Penatx Z-70 so the Pentax
*ist looks quite good value althought its seems its getting trickier to get
hold of a DS, most seem to
be the DL

or alternatively I could get a Panasonic FZ30 which seems to have all the
features and goodies i need

I'd consider myself more of a keen hobbyist than prosumer (if that makes
sense)

Most of the shots would be in good light and the extra zoom would come in
handy alot of the time

any ideas or suggestions

thanks Dave

Old November 17th 05, 06:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:57:34 +0800, "corks"
wrote:

Hi all,

have been having a look around for something to replace my Canon G2 - more
zoom primary and a bit more MP (secondarily)

I have 3 x lenses (28-70,35-80-100-300) to suit my Penatx Z-70 so the Pentax
*ist looks quite good value althought its seems its getting trickier to get
hold of a DS, most seem to
be the DL

or alternatively I could get a Panasonic FZ30 which seems to have all the
features and goodies i need

I'd consider myself more of a keen hobbyist than prosumer (if that makes
sense)

Most of the shots would be in good light and the extra zoom would come in
handy alot of the time

any ideas or suggestions

The FZ30 has image stabilization, and the *ist does not.

But you have to keep your ISO down (to around 100) with the FZ30 to
minimize noise, and that forces use of a slower shutter speed. With
the *ist, you can shoot at 400 or 800 which allows use of a faster
shutter speed. That pretty well compensates for the image
stabilization.

The FZ30 has significant shutter lag, I think, when in auto focus
mode. The *ist has negligible shutter lag. This is a big factor if you
are shooting moving subjects.

With the incredible zoom range of the FZ30, you will never have to buy
another lens. Well, except for the wide angle adapter. And that still
doesn't get you real ultra-wide.

The *ist commits you to spending a king's ransom on interchangeable
lenses, if you don't already have them. Plus, you have to lug them
around. But that does give you more versatility. And you can put some
real wides on it. But the sensor is not full frame... so you are still
denied ultra-wide angles!

I think both cameras will be great, with both having their strong and
weak points. The good thing is, if you buy one and later realize it
was the wrong one, it doesn't matter that much, because it will be
obsolete in 2 years and then you can buy a better one!

Old November 17th 05, 08:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

corks wrote:
Hi all,

have been having a look around for something to replace my Canon G2 -
more zoom primary and a bit more MP (secondarily)

[]

Two other cameras you might want to consider are the Panasonic FZ5 and
FZ20. Both 5MP resolution, they give a similar zoom coverage to the FZ30
but are cheaper and lighter. A lot cheaper and more convenient than a
DSLR outfit. If you want the zoom, you really need the image
stabilisation as well, and such lenses may not even be available for the
Pentax. I have the Panasonic FZ5, and my wife the FZ20.

I agree with King Sardon's comments, although I think that shutter lag on
modern non-SLR cameras is not to difficult to cope with.

David

Old November 18th 05, 12:33 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I would choose between the Panasonic FZ5, a great point and shoot or if
you want something more versatile look at the Canon DRXT with IS lenses
or the Nikon D50. I hear that the Canon is more advanced but the Nikon
appears to balance better.

It also seems that the reviewers claim there is really no difference
between 6mp or 8mp in producing results. I can neither negate or
substantiate that claim.

Old November 18th 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

David,

Haven't you said in the past that you saw not difference in quality of
results between the FZ5 and FZ20 and that you prefer the FZ5 due to the
fact it is lighter, smaller, and easier to balance.

If that is what you said do you think that the picture quality would be
about the same even when printing 8.5x11?

Old November 18th 05, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

I owned the FZ20 and now own the *ist DS. I have a couple of Pentax
lenses, and two other film bodies.

I didn't like the shutter lag with the Panasonic. As another reply
mentioned, it makes action shots very difficult. The zoom length and
f/2.8 through the entire range is very nice, however.

I picked up the last DS that I could find, at a great price $919
Canadian/$775 USD with 18-55mm kit lens. I was also lucky enough to
sell my FZ20 at just below brand new price (it was only 4 months old),
so I didn't lose a lot on it.

I'm happy with my decision - having a higher ISO range is very nice, as
well as the potential (reality...) of spending more of my paycheck on
lenses!!

Old November 18th 05, 08:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

okay thanks for that , similar situation to me

ive been quoted $1070 for the ds with 18-50mm lens or 1175 with the 18-125mm
lens

aussie dollars

oups.com...