Thanks + D50 Sample pics + comments

Old November 4th 05, 01:29 AM
NikV

Default Thanks + D50 Sample pics + comments

Hi Folks
I asked for some advice here about a month ago DSLR kit finally after
helpful comments (esp Bill) plumped for a D50+18-70mm +Sb 600 speedlight.
Here are some sample images (8 smallish).

http://www.npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk/photos2.html

I am pleased with the results (after 3 weeks use) and knowing my own
limitations would welcome any constructive comments

My only regret is that the D50 cannot control the sb600 so I am saving up
for a sb800 to use on a sc28 with the sb600 as slave. I did realise this
when buying but did not I would be interested in multiflash. I was tempted
at the time to go for the D70s but its non-availability (couldn't wait due
to long awaited and imminent birth of son #2) and the need to have the
smaller body (wife still gripes about the size - too big she says :-) ) so
decided on the D50

Anyway thanks to those who to the time to help

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Old November 4th 05, 08:19 AM
Graham Archer

Great photos Nik !
I took some photos of my daughter with a Nikon F80 film slr a few hours
after she was born (10 years ago).
I have got a Nikon D70 now and I wish they were around then.
You should take as many photos as you can when they are growing up.
Its nice to capture special moments that will never be replaced.
Regards
Graham

Old November 4th 05, 08:35 AM
Laurent

"NikV" a écrit dans le message de news:
http://www.npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk/photos2.html

I am pleased with the results (after 3 weeks use) and knowing my own
limitations would welcome any constructive comments

Nice pics !
As the room is very red coloured and no flash were used (to preserve baby
eyes ?) The DSC_1685.jpg looks a bit red to me though... Maybe a slight
white balance correction (I used 9003k) like:
http://cjoint.com/?lejBVXyCu2
could improve it...
Maybe use a white paper to make a WB measurement next time ?

Laurent -- just trying to help ;-)
--
= http://www.laurent-roy.com =

Old November 4th 05, 11:11 AM
NikV

"Laurent" wrote in message
"NikV" a écrit dans le message de news:
http://www.npkjlvenn.demon.co.uk/photos2.html

I am pleased with the results (after 3 weeks use) and knowing my own
limitations would welcome any constructive comments

Nice pics !

Thanks - just starting out with digital

As the room is very red coloured and no flash were used (to preserve baby
eyes ?) The DSC_1685.jpg looks a bit red to me though... Maybe a slight
white balance correction (I used 9003k) like:
http://cjoint.com/?lejBVXyCu2
could improve it...
Maybe use a white paper to make a WB measurement next time ?

Thanks for that - your correction is better, I actually used bounce flash
mainly off the white ceiling but the reflection off the red walls caused the
red cast - not the location I would have chosen it just happened that way

Laurent -- just trying to help ;-)
--
= http://www.laurent-roy.com =

Old November 4th 05, 11:19 AM
NikV

Thanks - I have several thousand pictures taken in the last 3 weeks - plenty
of the new born but not all that happy with the results yet

Nik

Old November 4th 05, 01:09 PM
sierra

Another starting out in digital.

Can you explain the phrase "the D50 cannot control the SB-600" - it's
noted in the manual as being compatible.

Old November 4th 05, 02:23 PM
NikV

It works fine either on the hotshoe or on the sc28 extension cable but the
d50 on board flash cannot 'command' the sb600 to act as a slave (unlike the
d70,d70s,d200) you either need to mount a sb800 (or the new su800) on the
camera to wirelessly control sb600 or sb800 (or new macro flashes) in d-TTl
mode(terminology ??)

oups.com...

Old November 4th 05, 04:34 PM
sierra

Thanks

Old November 4th 05, 10:01 PM
Dimitris M

Here are some sample images (8 smallish).

If those are your first photo's with the d50, then I expect to become a very
good photographer. Technically are perfect.

My only regret is that the D50 cannot control the sb600 so I am saving up
for a sb800 to use on a sc28 with the sb600 as slave.

You mean to wireless remote control it. So yes, if you need multiflash, then
you may need a SB800.
--
Dimitris M

Old November 4th 05, 10:47 PM
NikV

If those are your first photo's with the d50, then I expect to become a
very
good photographer. Technically are perfect.

Blush ,, Thanx I dabbled in 35mm a decade ago but the cost of film
development was a bit limiting, the ability to shoot and view the result
within minutes makes experimenting easy.

My only regret is that the D50 cannot control the sb600 so I am saving up
for a sb800 to use on a sc28 with the sb600 as slave.

You mean to wireless remote control it. So yes, if you need multiflash,
then
you may need a SB800.

yes - I was thinking of the sb800 off camera (on the cable) with the sb600
as a wirless slave