What can CS2 do that Elements 3.0 cannot?

Old September 16th 05, 10:04 PM
SuperFly

Default What can CS2 do that Elements 3.0 cannot?

I understand that Photoshop CS2 is the end all be all for imaging editing,
but I'd like to know 4 or 5 of the key features included in CS2 that are not
in Elements. And for those of you that did go for the upgrade, was it
worth the extra money?

SF

Old September 16th 05, 11:52 PM
Bob Harrington

SuperFly wrote:

What can CS2 do that Elements 3.0 cannot?

Besides running your bank account down an extra $600 or so? ;^)

Old September 17th 05, 12:30 AM
Ed Velez

Only paid $299 since my Canon 20D came with elements 2.0 and the upgrade to
CS2 was cheap enough.

My big thing is batch work. I can use ACR 3.0 in batch so that I can work on
dozens of file simultaneously tweaking exposure, white bal, etc and not have
to do one at a time.

Old September 17th 05, 12:30 AM
bmoag

There are a few nifty new CS2 filters, like lens/distort, warping and
perspective and a new smart sharpen tool.
There are probably plug-ins that do these functions as well or better in
one way or another that would work in Elements.
For general photo use the most striking difference I have seen is how the
full version of Photoshop, and now even more so in CS2, allows for the
handling of layers, sublayers and groups of layers. This is a level of
complexity that many users never need or use. For example, the last time I
used Elements, and it may have been 2 not 3, I was not able to isolate
subsections of layers as new adjustment layers, something I habitually do in
PS (for example in retouching faces), at least not in the way I do it in PS.
Otherwise I could do most of what I could do in say PS7 in Elements. And
that is quite alot. Do not forget that Elements allows for Adobe style color
management which is absolutely necessary if you want to take your printing
to the next level, or at least reliably get prints that look something like
your monitor.

Old September 19th 05, 04:30 PM
David Geesaman

Where is this $300 upgrade deal? (I got Elements 2.0 with my 300d and would
like to upgrade also). The Adobe price is $500 for the upgrade.

Dave

Old September 19th 05, 10:04 PM
no_name

David Geesaman wrote:

Where is this $300 upgrade deal? (I got Elements 2.0 with my 300d and would
like to upgrade also). The Adobe price is $500 for the upgrade.

I think that was an earlier upgrade offer, now expired.

Currently upgrade from earlier full versions is $150.

And there's a "time limited offer" for upgrade from Photoshop LE,
PhotoDeluxe and Photoshop Elements. That's the $500 one you're seeing.