FZ30 vs. Pro90IS

Old August 23rd 05, 01:43 AM
Brian Allen

Default FZ30 vs. Pro90IS

I have been holding on getting a new ZLR until I found one that had all of
the features of the Canon Pro90IS that I currently use. I already get
fantastic 8x10 prints using this camera, but I wanted something with much
higher resolution and all of the features. the FZ30 is the first in the FZ
line to have all of the features.

I have seen many complaints already about noise issues with the FZ30. I
know the Canon Pro90IS, though old technology, produced good quality images.

How does the picture noise of the FZ30 compare to that of the Pro90IS?

BCA

Old August 23rd 05, 01:51 AM
Brian Allen

I just wanted to be clear that I am not interested in any of the other FZ
cameras because they do not have ALL of the Pro90IS features, nor do any of
the other Canon cameras.

BCA

Old August 23rd 05, 02:59 AM
Daniel Silevitch

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:51:27 GMT, Brian Allen wrote:
I just wanted to be clear that I am not interested in any of the other FZ
cameras because they do not have ALL of the Pro90IS features, nor do any of
the other Canon cameras.

BCA

"Brian Allen" wrote in message
I have been holding on getting a new ZLR until I found one that had all of
the features of the Canon Pro90IS that I currently use. I already get
fantastic 8x10 prints using this camera, but I wanted something with much
higher resolution and all of the features. the FZ30 is the first in the FZ
line to have all of the features.

I have seen many complaints already about noise issues with the FZ30. I
know the Canon Pro90IS, though old technology, produced good quality
images.

How does the picture noise of the FZ30 compare to that of the Pro90IS?

Out of curiousity, what features that you use on your current camera are
missing from the FZ20 or Canon S2IS? (Just wondering)

I'm not sure you can do a fair comparison of the noise levels of the two
cameras because of the factor of three or four difference in resolution
between them. A fairer comparison would be to take an FZ30 picture and
use a 2x2 binning to resize it down to something comparable to the
resolution of the 90IS. Without doing the test, I'd guess that the FZ30
would come out somewhat ahead; same physical size sensor, but both the
sensor and the signal processor are about 2 generations newer.

-dms

Old August 23rd 05, 04:48 AM
Brian C. Allen

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Out of curiousity, what features that you use on your current camera are
missing from the FZ20 or Canon S2IS? (Just wondering)

Of of the top of my head, I can think of RAW files. I know there is
more, but I cannot recall now. I knew it back when I investigated the
FZ20 and the older Canon S1IS. I thought I would "settle" on the FZ5
a few months ago, then the S2IS was announced, and I am brand partial
to Canon. However, exept for possible noise issues, I am sold on the
FZ30.

BCA

Old August 23rd 05, 05:53 AM
Cordovero

BCA,

Just be prepared for the fact that the FZ30 is a lot bigger than the S2 IS.
I held the S2 IS and the FZ20 in my hands, and they were totally different
beasts (pics on the net don't tell the story), and the FZ30 is bigger than
the FZ20.

I prefer bigger cameras, but I will say that the S2 IS (which I've had for a
week) is something I'd throw in a (big)jacket pocket on my way to something
like a family event, while the FZ30 is something I'd have to think twice
about travelling with at all, especially if by plane.

Old August 23rd 05, 12:24 PM
Daniel Silevitch

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:48:17 -0400, Brian C. Allen wrote:
Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Out of curiousity, what features that you use on your current camera are
missing from the FZ20 or Canon S2IS? (Just wondering)

Of of the top of my head, I can think of RAW files. I know there is
more, but I cannot recall now. I knew it back when I investigated the
FZ20 and the older Canon S1IS. I thought I would "settle" on the FZ5
a few months ago, then the S2IS was announced, and I am brand partial
to Canon. However, exept for possible noise issues, I am sold on the
FZ30.

Yes, RAW mode would be a significant difference. I wonder why Canon
dropped it in their superzooms? It's probably coupled to the falling
list price; looking up the specs of the Pro90IS, I found it was released
with a list price of $1600, whereas the FZ5 and S2IS list at $500. The
newer cameras are aimed at a broader market, and RAW was probably seen
as a complication rather than an asset.

-dms

Old August 23rd 05, 05:29 PM
Brian C. Allen

Cordovero wrote:
BCA,

Just be prepared for the fact that the FZ30 is a lot bigger than the S2 IS.
I held the S2 IS and the FZ20 in my hands, and they were totally different
beasts (pics on the net don't tell the story), and the FZ30 is bigger than
the FZ20.

I prefer bigger cameras, but I will say that the S2 IS (which I've had for a
week) is something I'd throw in a (big)jacket pocket on my way to something
like a family event, while the FZ30 is something I'd have to think twice
about travelling with at all, especially if by plane.

The FZ30 is virtually identical in both size and mass to the Canon
Pro90IS, so it is what I am already used to.

BCA

Old August 23rd 05, 05:35 PM
Brian C. Allen

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Yes, RAW mode would be a significant difference. I wonder why Canon
dropped it in their superzooms? It's probably coupled to the falling
list price; looking up the specs of the Pro90IS, I found it was released
with a list price of $1600, whereas the FZ5 and S2IS list at $500. The
newer cameras are aimed at a broader market, and RAW was probably seen
as a complication rather than an asset.

-dms

I know the S1 & S2 also do not have a hot-shoe for external flash as
does the Pro90IS.

One bummer is that I have some good filters (UV, circular polarizer)
and add-on conversion lenses (Canon's wide angle and Canon's macro)
and a lens hood that are for 58 mm threads.

The FZ30 has 55 mm threads, though I think it does come with a lens
hood.

I wonder if a step-up ring 55 to 58mm would be a good solution, or
would there be some image quality issues? Maybe the filters would
work the same, but I am not sure about the conversion lenses. I
think they get designed with the camera's sensor and existing lens
in mind.

Any ideas?

BCA

Old August 23rd 05, 05:56 PM
Daniel Silevitch

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 12:35:48 -0400, Brian C. Allen wrote:
Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Daniel Silevitch wrote:

Yes, RAW mode would be a significant difference. I wonder why Canon
dropped it in their superzooms? It's probably coupled to the falling
list price; looking up the specs of the Pro90IS, I found it was released
with a list price of $1600, whereas the FZ5 and S2IS list at $500. The
newer cameras are aimed at a broader market, and RAW was probably seen
as a complication rather than an asset.

I know the S1 & S2 also do not have a hot-shoe for external flash as
does the Pro90IS.

The FZ20 has a hot-shoe; without doing a comprehensive check, I think
that's the only current-model superzoom with a shoe. The FZ30 will also
have one once it's released.

One bummer is that I have some good filters (UV, circular polarizer)
and add-on conversion lenses (Canon's wide angle and Canon's macro)
and a lens hood that are for 58 mm threads.

The FZ30 has 55 mm threads, though I think it does come with a lens
hood.

I wonder if a step-up ring 55 to 58mm would be a good solution, or
would there be some image quality issues? Maybe the filters would
work the same, but I am not sure about the conversion lenses. I
think they get designed with the camera's sensor and existing lens
in mind.

My guess is that a step-up ring would work fine for the filters, but
that the lenses would be different enough to make the converters
problematic. The FZ5 and FZ20 both ship with hoods standard, and I can't
imagine that that will change for the 30.

Panasonic will sell wide and tele converters for the 30, and I imagine
that 3rd parties will eventually do the same. No macro converter that I
know of, so you'd be limited to the inherent macro capabilities of the
main lens.

-dms
Old August 23rd 05, 07:30 PM
Paul Murray

In article , Daniel Silevitch wrote:
I wonder if a step-up ring 55 to 58mm would be a good solution, or
would there be some image quality issues? Maybe the filters would
work the same, but I am not sure about the conversion lenses. I
think they get designed with the camera's sensor and existing lens
in mind.

My guess is that a step-up ring would work fine for the filters, but
that the lenses would be different enough to make the converters
problematic. The FZ5 and FZ20 both ship with hoods standard, and I can't
imagine that that will change for the 30.

Panasonic will sell wide and tele converters for the 30, and I imagine
that 3rd parties will eventually do the same. No macro converter that I
know of, so you'd be limited to the inherent macro capabilities of the
main lens.

There is useful information about using conversion lenses on the FZ series
of cameras he
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-10/index.html

Closeup adapters can also be used for macro work.