How to start into wedding photography ?

Old November 12th 03, 10:14 PM
Seymour Butts

Default How to start into wedding photography ?

You sound like me, lol. I thought it would be 'quick' money, HA! I'll
NEVER shoot another, lol. My hat's off to anyone with the patience to
do it.

I've done a little in my day, with Hasselblad of course, but I didn't
want to do too much of it. Be sure this what you want to do. It's
terribly stressful photography. I'd rather be in Iraq.

Old November 13th 03, 04:29 AM
Xavier Onassis

Or how about doing a wedding IN Iraq!!!!

Old November 13th 03, 10:56 PM
Jim Hutchison

On 6 Nov 2003 18:27:37 -0800, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

Jim Hutchison wrote in message . ..
Check out the article on this subject at
www.jamesphotography.ca

Hack work.

....but thanks for looking.

Have a nice day.

jim
jim h

http://www.jamesphotography.ca

More than photographs: free downloads, prizes, a bit of humour...
Old November 27th 03, 03:10 PM

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

wrote in message . com...
Was reading some posts here... hope I'm ok with my question.

Am very interested in starting into Wedding Photography. Extra income
I guess being the main motivation... second to taking pictures.
(second only because "People" have never been my thing, am much more
into scenics,
anyway...

If I wanted to get started... Things I know I need are this...
-Medium format camera (2 probably)
-Serious flash equipment
-Color darkroom equip

With technology being so affordable these days... my questions are...

1) Do wedding photographers (for the most part) still just use film
and developing... or are they using digital technology?
(cameras/expensive printers)

2) Is digital technology near the same quality as print film ?

3) Of any of you that have done wedding photography, would love to
know how you broke into the field... even if sent via email.

I'm a 35mm novice and I know it's going to be a big expense either
way.
Thank you all for reading and I look forward to some good advice.

I've done a little in my day, with Hasselblad of course, but I didn't
want to do too much of it. Be sure this what you want to do. It's
terribly stressful photography. I'd rather be in Iraq.

That can be arranged. The guys in rec.photo.darkroom are sure to want to
contribute. One way ticket, of course. Transportation inside Iraq included as
a bonus. What would you prefer for transportation? Choices are dromedary or
bactrian. Water not included.
Old November 28th 03, 03:03 AM
Michael Scarpitti

I've done a little in my day, with Hasselblad of course, but I didn't
want to do too much of it. Be sure this what you want to do. It's
terribly stressful photography. I'd rather be in Iraq.

That can be arranged. The guys in rec.photo.darkroom are sure to want to
contribute. One way ticket, of course. Transportation inside Iraq included as
a bonus. What would you prefer for transportation? Choices are dromedary or
bactrian. Water not included.

They can't take the fact that they're morons.
Old February 4th 04, 08:21 PM
KBob

On 4 Nov 2003 09:45:51 -0800, (Michael
Scarpitti) wrote:

wrote in message . com...
[...]

I know it's heresy to say this (here), but I'd suggest going digital.
Also no weddings until you have become quite familiar with using
Photoshop and digital imaging processes and printing. I've had a 500C
and SWC etc., but I consider them all to be collector items at this
point. I now use a Kodak 14n and various flash systems including a
modified Quantum 400 W-S, and carry a Nikon D100 for backup. Shoot in
RAW mode and you can capture a latitude of 10 stops (try THAT with
film). Nowdays it is also common to use bluescreen masking methods to
position your subjects into surroundings of their choice, and this is
very easy with digital. In fact just about everything is much easier
with digital, and you'll get better results, too!! (let the flames
begin...)
Old February 4th 04, 10:26 PM
SoarHead

this is
very easy with digital. In fact just about everything is much easier
with digital, and you'll get better results, too!! (let the flames
begin...)

No flames here. I went all digital last year with my Mamiya and Kodak 645M and
love it. I also went Fuji S2 and Nikon D2H and they have improved my game
considerably for sports and photojournalism. The Medium format 16 megapixel
Kodak does a great portrait job. I was curious how the 14N was working in that
department.

On the whole aspect of shooting weddings for some cash, but not to sure about
shooting people...
If I had a buck for all the people that want to kill the wedding photographer
for poor lighting etc...
Pre-plan by visiting the site...finding out what the couple wants.
Get some friends, relatives to help you test your lighting setup and practice
your people skills.
Dress up to their level and wear a happy face. Try to plan photo windows in
the schedule and get the formal bride shots out of the way before the ceremony.
They should be your first shots of the day...tell her how pretty she is and
have fun...(and don't drink until you're done...I have my wedding pictures as
examples.)
Vince
Old February 4th 04, 11:34 PM
Freemale

"SoarHead" wrote in message
[...]

Again No flames. I believe any wedding pro who is not using digital has
missed the boat. I fact if he has not been using digital in some way for at
least a couple of years he will find himself on very difficult learning
curve in order to try and catch up.

Old February 5th 04, 05:23 AM
Randall Ainsworth

I know it's heresy to say this (here), but I'd suggest going digital.
Also no weddings until you have become quite familiar with using
Photoshop and digital imaging processes and printing. I've had a 500C
and SWC etc., but I consider them all to be collector items at this
point. I now use a Kodak 14n and various flash systems including a
modified Quantum 400 W-S, and carry a Nikon D100 for backup. Shoot in
RAW mode and you can capture a latitude of 10 stops (try THAT with
film). Nowdays it is also common to use bluescreen masking methods to
position your subjects into surroundings of their choice, and this is
very easy with digital. In fact just about everything is much easier
with digital, and you'll get better results, too!! (let the flames
begin...)

I used Hasselblads exclusively for 20+ years but if I were to get back
into it again, I'd go digital.
Old February 5th 04, 05:25 AM
Randall Ainsworth

On the whole aspect of shooting weddings for some cash, but not to sure about
shooting people...
If I had a buck for all the people that want to kill the wedding photographer
for poor lighting etc...
Pre-plan by visiting the site...finding out what the couple wants.
Get some friends, relatives to help you test your lighting setup and practice
your people skills.
Dress up to their level and wear a happy face. Try to plan photo windows in
the schedule and get the formal bride shots out of the way before the
ceremony.
They should be your first shots of the day...tell her how pretty she is and
have fun...(and don't drink until you're done...I have my wedding pictures as
examples.)

By all means...suit and tie no exceptions (unless maybe it's a nudist
wedding). Formals done before the ceremony no exceptions. Use more
than one light. Don't eat or drink at the reception.