Medium format film printing

Old April 7th 04, 02:06 PM
Todd F

Default Medium format film printing

Group,

I've been itching to get my wet darkroom running again since I switched to
digital. I'm going to buy one of those cheap plastic Holga medium format
cameras to play around with medium format film. I can develop the film no
problem but my enlarger will only accept 35mm film. All of the medium format
labs I have seen are geared toward the professional doing studio work. I'd
hate to burden these people with a few rolls from a Holga.

My question - is there a consumer grade lab that can do medium format film
or someone that can print from my developed negatives?

Todd

Old April 7th 04, 02:44 PM
moda

Send the developed film to a lab and don't think about bothering them with
the rolls from a Holga. Ask them to make prints on a machine to keep costs
down.

Moda

Old April 7th 04, 02:55 PM
Todd F

I'm wondering now if my local superstore's Fuji Frontier system could scan
processed 120 film?

Todd

. ..

Old April 7th 04, 03:11 PM
Dean Hoffman

Your problem is common for a lot of us who like to use their old medium
formats for fun and not for profit. I've just started sending my things in
at Sam's club and payinf about 1/3 of what the local pro lab charges. They
usually ship small prints, but the good shots can be enlarged later. The
knowledgeable folks at your local wal-mart probably haven't even heard of
120 film, but if you put it in the envelope, it does get done. Also, the
more rolls they get, the better they will serve us. The local Sam's said it
was only a $500 investment to allow him to handle 120, but the management
said they would have to make the investment in all their stores. Is that
bad?
Dean

Old April 7th 04, 04:02 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Todd F" wrote

cheap plastic Holga medium format cameras ... my enlarger will
only accept 35mm film. [What's a photographer to do?]

They do sell a 'Holga' enlarger, but it is pricey and it may work
too well to do a Holga negative (in)justice.

You may want to bid on ebay for a $10 Federal enlarger - just the
thing to go with a Holga.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Old April 7th 04, 04:09 PM
PSsquare

Consider making contact prints at first. I've put contact prints from my
Holga in my journal as is. Kind of artsy and fun. Just put a strip of
unexposed but developed developed 35mm neg in your enlarger and get going.

There are also a lot of very inexpensive used enlargers on the market, so
you might be able to get a suitable enlarger for very little. My first
enlarger was actually a gift from someone with too little room to store it.

PSsquare

Old April 7th 04, 07:49 PM
Jan T

If he's got the adapters, yes.
BTW, never thought of bying a Mamiya C 220 or 330? My 220 costed 350 $ and
it's just great.

Jan

"Todd F" schreef in bericht
I'm wondering now if my local superstore's Fuji Frontier system could scan
processed 120 film?

Todd

. ..

Old April 8th 04, 09:04 AM
Dan Quinn

"Todd F" wrote

Group,

I've been itching to get my wet darkroom running again since I
switched to digital. I'm going to buy one of those cheap plastic
Holga medium format cameras to play around with medium format film.
I can develop the film no problem...

...but my enlarger will only accept 35mm film.

Is that your only excuse? Used medium format enlargers abound. Dan
Old April 8th 04, 03:44 PM
Mark in Maine

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 15:02:20 GMT, "Nicholas O. Lindan"
wrote:

They do sell a 'Holga' enlarger, but it is pricey and it may work
too well to do a Holga negative (in)justice.

The Freestyle catalog that recently arrived shows the Holga enlarger,
set up for MF at $110 - including the lens! They also sell at kit
which includes the Holga enlarger with both 50mm and 75mm lenses as
well as lensboards, appropriate negative carriers etc. for $139.
To put this in perspective, the list price for a 6x6 negative carrier
for my enlarger (a Beseler 45) is $148.
Old April 8th 04, 04:33 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Mark in Maine" wrote

wrote:

They do sell a 'Holga' enlarger, but it is pricey ...

The Freestyle catalog that recently arrived shows the Holga enlarger,
set up for MF at $110 - including the lens!

Like I said, pricey:

(Tower enlarger w/carrier, lensboard, lens - went for $0.99)
and lots more to chose from for $1.00 to $10.00 - all with plenty of flair and
fuzzies, I'm sure.

To put this in perspective, the list price for a 6x6 negative carrier
for my enlarger (a Beseler 45) is $148.

What for would anyone buy a _new_ negative carrier?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio