Rollei TLR vs. tripods

Old March 29th 04, 07:26 AM
David J. Littleboy

Default Rollei TLR vs. tripods

Speaking of Rollei TLR straps, I seem to recall someone saying that the
parts that the Rollei tripod mount is connected to in the early '50s models
is fragile and that one shouldn't just screw it onto a generic tripod head.

What's the received wisdom on the right way to use my Automat 4 on a tripod?

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 29th 04, 08:41 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

"David J. Littleboy" wrote:

Speaking of Rollei TLR straps, I seem to recall someone saying that the
parts that the Rollei tripod mount is connected to in the early '50s models
is fragile and that one shouldn't just screw it onto a generic tripod head.

The aluminium is pretty thin and bends easily. Even worse things can
happen, if the screw of the tripod is too long.

What's the received wisdom on the right way to use my Automat 4 on a tripod?

I found from a junk bin a thread adapter (3/8" to 1/4") that has a wide
plate, almost the size of the circular feature in the bottom of the
camera. It prevents the latter accident, and seems to be much sturdier
as a bonus.

-- Lassi
Old March 29th 04, 09:02 AM
Martin Jangowski

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Speaking of Rollei TLR straps, I seem to recall someone saying that the
parts that the Rollei tripod mount is connected to in the early '50s models
is fragile and that one shouldn't just screw it onto a generic tripod head.

What's the received wisdom on the right way to use my Automat 4 on a tripod?

The tripod socket secures the back of any Rollei TLR tight to the tripod;
unfortunately, the back is only held by two small screws and the lock at the
bottom. It's not too difficult to damage this three points by using force
to the body of the camera, additionally you can warp the bottom of the
TLR back.

The Rolleifix is the way to go. It secures the body by two points at the front
(there are two small silver cups at the front of the camera where these
two points will connect) and clamps the whole bottom of the camera tightly.
The pistol grip contains one Rolleifix and is sometimes cheaper than a
solo Rolleifix... just remove two screws and lift it out of the grip.

Martin

Old March 29th 04, 12:40 PM
David J. Littleboy

"Martin Jangowski" wrote:

The Rolleifix is the way to go. It secures the body by two points at the

front
(there are two small silver cups at the front of the camera where these
two points will connect) and clamps the whole bottom of the camera

tightly.
The pistol grip contains one Rolleifix and is sometimes cheaper than a
solo Rolleifix... just remove two screws and lift it out of the grip.

Ah, I see the two cups. Thanks. (I'll be extremely careful or jury rig
something while keeping my eye out for a Rolleifix.)

One more dumb question: does the same Rolleifix work on all Rolleiflexes? (I
can't imagine them having their act in gear that well: I'm a pessimist.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 29th 04, 08:57 PM
nicholas

David J. Littleboy wrote:
"Martin Jangowski" wrote:

The Rolleifix is the way to go. It secures the body by two points at the

front

(there are two small silver cups at the front of the camera where these
two points will connect) and clamps the whole bottom of the camera

tightly.

The pistol grip contains one Rolleifix and is sometimes cheaper than a
solo Rolleifix... just remove two screws and lift it out of the grip.

Ah, I see the two cups. Thanks. (I'll be extremely careful or jury rig
something while keeping my eye out for a Rolleifix.)

One more dumb question: does the same Rolleifix work on all Rolleiflexes? (I
can't imagine them having their act in gear that well: I'm a pessimist.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Another vote for the Rolleifix. Can be had for $20 if you know where to
look. Maybe not in Japan though...
Old March 30th 04, 12:36 AM
David J. Littleboy

"nicholas" wrote:

One more dumb question: does the same Rolleifix work on all

Rolleiflexes? (I
can't imagine them having their act in gear that well: I'm a pessimist.)

Answering my own question: no. My Rollei (Automat 4) is old enough to not
have the groove in the tripod mount, so it apparently requires an adaptor.

Another vote for the Rolleifix. Can be had for $20 if you know where to
look. Maybe not in Japan though...

I found a place that wants US$80 for the Rolleifix and $20 for the adaptor,
but he hasn't answered my email yet. :-(

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old March 30th 04, 02:08 PM
Uncle Lucky

"nicholas" wrote:

One more dumb question: does the same Rolleifix work on all

Rolleiflexes? (I
can't imagine them having their act in gear that well: I'm a pessimist.)

Answering my own question: no. My Rollei (Automat 4) is old enough to not
have the groove in the tripod mount, so it apparently requires an adaptor.

Another vote for the Rolleifix. Can be had for $20 if you know where to
look. Maybe not in Japan though...

I found a place that wants US$80 for the Rolleifix and $20 for the adaptor,
but he hasn't answered my email yet. :-(

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Might be cheaper in the long run to pick up a newer used back or one off a
newer junked camera.
Old March 30th 04, 07:40 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, David J. Littleboy posted:

Speaking of Rollei TLR straps, I seem to recall someone saying that
the parts that the Rollei tripod mount is connected to in the early
'50s models is fragile and that one shouldn't just screw it onto a
generic tripod head.

What's the received wisdom on the right way to use my Automat 4 on a
tripod?

I learned some interesting things from the responses that you've gotten so
far!

But, it shouldn't be surprising that I'll offer a different perspective. I
have an early '50s Rolleiflex TLR that I bought back in the late '70s. I
don't own a Rolleifix, nor have I felt that the "stock" mount is so
fragile that I'd need one. I also have been screwing it onto generic
tripod heads just as I do with my 6008i other cameras. After over 25 years
of use, I've not suffered any of the difficulties that others have
speculated about, and feel that if you're at all reasonable in your use,
the Rollei will serve you well. As this is a "user" camera, I don't try to
handle the TLR with kid gloves. Of course, I don't do such things as try
to pick up the tripod by grabbing the camera, either. ;-)

Regards,

Neil