There's a lot of this going on...

Old December 9th 09, 05:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default There's a lot of this going on...

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowLarge.jpg (full
size)

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowSmall.jpg (quick

Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...

I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
impassable.

I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
sufficiently to bring out the faces...

Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.

What do you think?

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 10th 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bigguy[_5_]

Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowLarge.jpg (full
size)

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowSmall.jpg (quick

Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...

I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
impassable.

I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
sufficiently to bring out the faces...

Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.

What do you think?

Take Care,
Dudley

I think you need to find the White Balance button.

Old December 10th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowLarge.jpg (full
size)

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowSmall.jpg
(quick loading)

Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...

I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
impassable.

I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
sufficiently to bring out the faces...

Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.

What do you think?

Take Care,
Dudley

I think you need to find the White Balance button.

Is it off?

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 10th 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 12/10/09 12:21 PM, in article v_aUm.55526$Db2.20162@edtnps83, "Dudley
Hanks" wrote:

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

It's pretty cyan because of the sky reflectivity on the snow. The foliage in
the background is true because it is in sunlight. If you adjust the color
temp upward (~6500 - 7500ºK) the snow will become more neutral. That would
be more pleasing to some observers.

Old December 10th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Hanks" wrote:

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

Thanks, George, I'll see if I can find a way to do that.

Take Care,
Dudley

Old December 10th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Ciszek

In article hiRTm.55427$Db2.53873@edtnps83,
Dudley Hanks wrote:
http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowLarge.jpg (full
size)

http://www.snaps.blind-apertures.ca/...gSnowSmall.jpg (quick

Indeed, we've been hit with a BIG dump of snow...

I caught these two fellows clearing a parking lot which was nearly
impassable.

I shot this one in manual mode, using a variation of the sunny 16 rule,
lowering the aperture to f/11 while bumping the shutter speed up to 1/200
second. I also added a fill flash, just in case I wasn't over-exposing
sufficiently to bring out the faces...

Also, this was the first real test of my new 18 - 55mm IS lens. With the
limited amount I've tried it out, it seems to be working not too bad.

What do you think?

I think I see chromatic abberation, most noticably if you look at the
left and right edges of the leftmost trouser leg in the picture (our
left, not theirs).

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."
Old December 11th 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]

Hold your camera level, too.

Old December 16th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

"Dudley Hanks" wrote:

"Bigguy" wrote in message
Dudley Hanks wrote:
[...]