Panasonic FZ28 or FZ18 deleting photos

Old August 26th 08, 06:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_4_]

Default Panasonic FZ28 or FZ18 deleting photos

"robert" wrote in message
robert wrote:
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

Update

Just had a reply from Panasonic - I had given up waiting !.

"Camera seen as read only device by PC , so cannot delete pictures via PC"

So thats sorted that out; had no problem doing this with SONY cameras.

Did you tell them what Operating Stem you are using ?

Because whether or not files are read only in Windows is a file attribute
not a device or directory attribute.

This screenshot shows one of the directories on my Panasonic DCMFZ7
- named as "Removable Disc" in Windows - with the read only check-box
unchecked. These files will be deleted when the files are moved.

http://i38.tinypic.com/2hocl5e.jpg

The only confusion arises because only files, not directories or
devices can be set to read-only. But to set files as read-only or not
in Windows its necesary to click the box in the directory pane.

To enable files to be deleted on moving its necessary to uncheck this
box, if the default is set to read only.

To set individual files to read only it would be necesary to use the
DOS or CMD attrib command.

michael adams

Thanks for all the comments, will carry on working my way through the
rest of the menu options of my new toy.

Old August 26th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
robert

michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
robert wrote:
[...]

Windows XP SP3
Have rechecked messages. - "Media is write protected" when trying to
remove read only tag

"Disk is write protected" when trying to delete file.

I assume it is quite possible to make the "read only" or write protect
part of the USB driver.

Old August 26th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
michael adams[_4_]

"robert" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
robert wrote:
[...]

I give up, you've got me beat. I would have thought the drivers that
come with all Panasonic cameras would offer the same functionality with
all the Windows OS's. The above was 98 SE but I use my XP SP2 machine with
the Pentax K200D - and that deletes files when they're moved o.k. So it can't
be a problem with XP up to SP2 at least.

michael adams

michael adams

Old August 26th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
clandestin_écureuil

michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"robert" wrote in message
robert wrote:
[...]

I have seen something similar when a system had been limited/protected in
group policies for some reason. Even as administrator you couldn't delete
things if it wasn't allowed in group policies. If the system has ever been
on a server controlled network this may be the case.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com
Old August 29th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
The Horny Goat

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:05:36 +0100, robert
wrote:

robert wrote:
Hi

Just got a FZ28 and find I cant delete photos from the PC using the USB
connection.
Just get "write protect" message (on PC).
The SD card I am using was formatted on the camera and is not write
protected.
The delete function on the camera works as does using a card reader.

Is this normal Panasonic FZ28/FZ18 operation ?

Thanks

Update

Just had a reply from Panasonic - I had given up waiting !.

"Camera seen as read only device by PC , so cannot delete pictures via PC"

So thats sorted that out; had no problem doing this with SONY cameras.

Thanks for all the comments, will carry on working my way through the
rest of the menu options of my new toy.

Weird - I've no problem doing that via my TZ3 which is also Panasonic.