Vignette control on Nikon D3

Old August 28th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Dave[_27_]

Default Vignette control on Nikon D3

On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.

I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
reported are

A 2.00
B 2.00

Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
sure.
Old August 28th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:

On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.

I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
reported are

A 2.00
B 2.00

Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
sure.

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

Please use an appropriate newsgroup for postings on digital cameras. One
of the following groups would be a good place for such postings:

rec.photo.digital
rec.photo.digital.point+shoot
rec.photo.digital.rangefinder
rec.photo.digital.slr
rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

(Note that the list of groups available to you depends on what your ISP
or news provider carries, and may differ from this list)

--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: 'Elect me president, and I
population into concentration camps and turn the country into a

- Characterization (paraphrased) of the 1964 Goldwater/Johnson
presidential race by Professor Irwin Corey, "The World's Foremost
Authority".
Old August 28th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Roy G[_2_]

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:

sure.

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, which
is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital cameras
that look like 35mm SLRs.

It might well be off topic for your group, but your description of DSLRs
really shows your own prejudice.

You are perfectly entitled not to like Digital SLRs, but in spite of that
they really are SLRs, and don't just look like SLRs.

Please amend your "Off Topic" response by removing your Snotty sounding Put
Down.

Roy G

Old August 29th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Roy G spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm, which
is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital cameras
that look like 35mm SLRs.

It might well be off topic for your group, but your description of DSLRs
really shows your own prejudice.

You are perfectly entitled not to like Digital SLRs, but in spite of that
they really are SLRs, and don't just look like SLRs.

Please amend your "Off Topic" response by removing your Snotty sounding Put
Down.

The "Put Down", as you call it, is all in your imagination. I simply
pointed out that DSLRs look like 35mm film cameras, which they do, in a
gross kind of way (same general size and shape).

It's got nothing to do with liking or not liking digital or film
cameras: it's keeping apples with apples, and oranges with oranges.

Old August 29th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Roy G[_2_]

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 8/28/2008 3:07 PM Roy G spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

The "Put Down", as you call it, is all in your imagination. I simply
pointed out that DSLRs look like 35mm film cameras, which they do, in a
gross kind of way (same general size and shape).

There goes your prejudice again - "Gross kind of a way".

When you must know, that they are exactly like 35mm Film SLRs, (other than
the recording medium), because they are SLRs.

The only external difference is that DSLRs have an LCD for instant reviewing
of images on the rear, where Film SLRs have a little frame for inserting
Film Box Ends.

Do try to control your intemperance.

Roy G

Old August 29th 08, 06:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Steve[_12_]

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:23:51 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 8/28/2008 9:59 AM Dave spake thus:

On my D3, on the 'Shooting' menu the last item is "Vignette control". I
can't find this mentioned anywhere in the manual. Either in the book
provided with the camera, or on the PDF I downloaded.

I assume it might be something that was been added in firmware released
after the manual was printed. In my camera, the firmware versions
reported are

A 2.00
B 2.00

Does anyone know anything about this? The choices are off, low, medium
and high. I could take a guess at what it might do, but I don't know for
sure.

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

Would it be on topic to discuss a 35mm film camera that had a digital
back on it?

Steve
Old August 29th 08, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

On 8/28/2008 10:02 PM Steve spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

That's an interesting question. Considering how anarchistic Usenet is,
and how discussions regularly drift off-topic, I'd have to say yes. It's
not a matter of anally enforcing rules according to some charter, after
all. Common sense.

Old August 29th 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
David Nebenzahl

wrote:

This post is off-topic for this newsgroup, rec.photo.equipment.35mm,
which is concerned with film cameras that use 35mm film, not digital
cameras that look like 35mm SLRs.

Would it be on topic to discuss a 35mm film camera that had a digital
back on it?

By the way, is there such a thing?