Overexposuring analog film?

Old May 28th 12, 11:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

Default Overexposuring analog film?

On 28/05/2012 5:59 PM, Sandman wrote:
The lab that developed my film gave me a tip on analog shooting. He
said that I should overexpose my shots by setting the camera ISO
setting to a step lower than than actual film. So my T-Max 400 film
should be set to ISO 200, and my Portra 160 should be set to ISO 80.

Looking at my pics, some are underexposed (which in most cases
actually makes them look quite interesting).

Do you guys have any comments on this?

Its to compensate for them under processing your film.

Most labs use a replenishment system to "top up" there chemicals to the
correct concentration which keeps them "fresh". Usually labs just go
merrily along and seldom check the developer with a test strip during
the normal days production. Its only the startup period when its checked
and the film density measured. So if your film is developed in the
afternoon the strength could be under which will under develop the film.

Just as a check compare the edge strip of the film which has been
correctly exposed for a reference as to the correct development.

Old May 28th 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Sandman wrote in news:mr-B2EDBA.12300028052012
@News.Individual.NET:

In article , Rob
wrote:

[...]

Ah, good info. Thanks

Misinformation.
A processor is _not_ run all day and then "topped up" at the end. There is
a metered flow of replenishment chemicals during the time film is moving
through the machine. A test strip run during production will not be
significantly different from one run at the beginning of the day (which
would represent chemical conditions at the end of the previous day).

Comparing the unexposed edge strip will not reveal anything unless it was
discolored by severe overdevelopment. The base color is built in at
manufacture and can naturally vary between film types and batches of the
same type.

Old May 29th 12, 03:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

wrote:

[...]

I didn't say that. have a re read

There is
a metered flow of replenishment chemicals during the time film is moving
through the machine. A test strip run during production will not be
significantly different from one run at the beginning of the day (which
would represent chemical conditions at the end of the previous day).

Comparing the unexposed edge strip will not reveal anything unless it was
discolored by severe overdevelopment. The base color is built in at
manufacture and can naturally vary between film types and batches of the
same type.

You missed the point.
Old May 29th 12, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

wrote:

[...]

Good information Jeff, all processing equipment I've used in 30+ years
of working in photo labs I've had automatic replenishment the processing
machine records the area of the film that passes through it and squirts
the correct amount of fresh chemicals to keep the machine in tolerance.

have a reread of what I siad!

In a hand process, or sink-line the lab tech records how much film
he/she has processed and adds replenisher based on the manual volume. If
the lab was closed on the weekend, then water may be added to compensate
for evapouration, which would make the chemistry stronger,

how does adding water make the solution stronger?

control
strips are run normally each morning at the start of production.

Yep

Better
labs also measure the pH levels, but most just run the control strips.
Some labs don't plot their curves, as those send the strips off to head
office, I avoid those type of labs, as they can be out of control
several days before somebody gets to the branch to correct it.

have a re read as to what was said!
Old May 29th 12, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

wrote:

[...]

Was this your point? Quote: "So if your film is developed in the afternoon
the strength could be under which will under develop the film.". If so,
this is unlikely because of the continuous replenishment and it could just
as easily slightly overdevelop if the metering adds too much replenisher.
If not, please clarify.