Good place to get replacment battery?

Old September 3rd 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Mike[_20_]

Default Good place to get replacment battery?

Jürgen Exner wrote:
sally wrote:
Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
capacity than the original?

The capacity of a battery is a key part of its specification and is
explicitely listed (e.g. mAh: 630mAh). Therefore the capacity of
different batteries is trivial to compare unless we are talking about
fraudulent statements.

jue

The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.

Mike
Old September 3rd 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Kristian Kjerstad

Kristian Kjerstad wrote
Here's another one:

$4.59 ~ £2.85

spacecadet wrote:
The problem with Ebay is Chinese fakes even if they say 'UK despatch'.
Check the feedback

Dealextreme isn't Ebay...

And about fakes: A battery meant to look like a original Casio battery is a
fake. How can a battery that clearly says it's not an original be a fake?
("Casio NP-20 Compatible", and "For Casio" and no Casio logo should ring a
bell)

--
Kristian Kjerstad

Old September 3rd 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Mike wrote:
J?rgen Exner wrote:
sally wrote:
Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
capacity than the original?

The capacity of a battery is a key part of its specification and is
explicitely listed (e.g. mAh: 630mAh). Therefore the capacity of
different batteries is trivial to compare unless we are talking about
fraudulent statements.

jue

The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.

That's also true of many of the expensive originals!

I bought cheap ebay batteries for my phone. They were a third of the
price, and accurately advertised as having 50% more capacity. I also
got another set, much bigger, which came with an enlarged backplate to
accommodate the size. They corresponded to nothing the maker sold, and
gave me 4 times the capacity. They lasted a delightful month on a
single charge! No need to take a charger on holiday!

Incidentally the cheap Ebay knockoffs for my last camera advertised
themselves as having 10% more capacity, and they certainly lasted at
least as long as the maker's original.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old September 3rd 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Mike[_20_]

J?rgen Exner wrote:
sally wrote:
[...]

Like I said; rarely! With no way of accurately measuring the capacity I
assume the original (sony or whatever) battery capacity is correct.

I've bought batteries for PDA, several different types of phone and
cameras from eBay. All advertised the same or higher capacity, only a
couple actually lived up to that promise based on day to day use. TBH I
expect that and provided the performance is not abysmal I accept it as a
cost saving measure.

I have been pleasantly surprised with the NP-FM500H I got off eBay which
seems to hold pretty close to the original. I tend to swap them over as
I charge and even after a month in my bag it still delivers similar
performance to the Sony original.

Mike
Old September 4th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
SMS

J?rgen Exner wrote:

The cheap knockoffs on ebay rarely live upto the billed capacity.

That's also true of many of the expensive originals!

You have to watch out for old stock, especially for batteries that
aren't all that popular. Last week I received a "genuine" Motorola
battery for my phone, that was manufactured in 2006. A three year old
Li-Ion battery is about at end of life. An after-market battery for an
older device may actually be better.

The problem with after-market camera batteries is rarely an issue with
the actual cells inside the pack. It's more of an issue with tolerances
of the pack (I've seen after-market batteries that were a tad larger and
would not fit into the camera) or whether or not they properly
implemented protective circuitry.

I'd stay away from eBay, and in the U.S. buy from sterlingtek.com.
Old September 6th 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Alan Clifford[_3_]

On Wed, 2 Sep 2009, Geoff Berrow wrote:

On Wed, 02 Sep 2009 11:43:36 +0100, sally wrote:

Are these good value or are they just cheap batteries that have much less
capacity than the original?

Fercryinoutloud, for a fiver, it's practically disposable.

We use a cheap replacement in our Canon Ixus and can't tell any
difference from the original.

I use cheap bateries in my Nikon D80 and Fuji F31. I haven't noticed a
difference from the originals.

Another vote for 7 days shop
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=74424
The £4.49 includes postage.

Another supplier I have used is Battery Logic
http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/digita...nt-battery.htm
But more expensive at £11.99 post free.

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
through. )

Old September 7th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

SMS wrote:

You have to watch out for old stock, especially for batteries that
aren't all that popular. Last week I received a "genuine" Motorola
battery for my phone, that was manufactured in 2006. A three year old
Li-Ion battery is about at end of life.

That would depend a lot on storage conditions, too.

But even under bad storage conditions (room temperature, fully
charged) my LiIons seem to hold up very well for being bought 4
to 5 years ago. Maybe I am lucky when it comes to that.

-Wolfgang
Old September 8th 09, 10:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:
SMS wrote:

You have to watch out for old stock, especially for batteries that
aren't all that popular. Last week I received a "genuine" Motorola
battery for my phone, that was manufactured in 2006. A three year old
Li-Ion battery is about at end of life.

That would depend a lot on storage conditions, too.

But even under bad storage conditions (room temperature, fully
charged) my LiIons seem to hold up very well for being bought 4
to 5 years ago. Maybe I am lucky when it comes to that.

I'm using a pair of six year old Li-ion in batteries quite happily. It's
possible they're now only up to 50% of their original capacity, but I
won't bother replacing them until they stop being up to lasting long
enough for a long day's work.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old October 2nd 09, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc

On 03/09/2009 14:36 Kristian Kjerstad wrote:

Here's another one:

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Dealextreme, including
batteries that didn't hold a charge...

Old October 3rd 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc
Atheist Chaplain[_3_]

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
On 03/09/2009 14:36 Kristian Kjerstad wrote:

Here's another one:

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Dealextreme, including batteries
that didn't hold a charge...

never bought batteries from dealextreme but I have bought quite a few other
bits and pieces from them without once having a problem. As always, your
mileage may vary :-)

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]