Why do Nikon bother producing 'non-printable' manuals??

Old August 18th 08, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
michael adams[_3_]

Default Why do Nikon bother producing 'non-printable' manuals??

"Chris H" wrote in message
In message , tony cooper
writes
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:05:34 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

In message , nospam
writes
In article , SMS
wrote:

Nikon U.S. is too great for anyone to understand. Just don't buy any
Nikon equipment while traveling outside the U.S. and expect to get any
support from Nikon U.S., even non-warranty service at your own expense.

that's false.

if you buy a nikon product in a country where it was officially
imported, nikon will repair it, either under warranty or out of
warranty. you will need proof (ideally a receipt with a serial number)
to show that it is not grey market goods.

if you buy something in a country where it was *not* officially
imported, i.e., grey market, then all bets are off. nikon will
probably not repair it (although there are numerous reports that they
may turn a blind eye), but no guarantees. you've circumvented the
official channels and are on your own.

So what if I live in country A , buy officially imported Nikon equipment
and then 6-9 months later move to live in country B.

Will Nikon in Country B support the equipment I bought though the
official country A channels whilst resident in country A?

without knowing if those organizations have the same policies, your
question is unanswerable.

Then why answer?

To stop readers from jumping to unwarranted conclusions.

If instead of tony posting, some smart-arse had claimed that any
Nikon warranty applied worldwide there's quite possibly someone who
might take that at face value. And then when he realised it
was wrong he may come to believe that UseNet was a total waste
of time.

Leave it to those with a little more experience of the world.

So how many posters on this NewsGroup are likely to be familiar
with the warranty conditions as apply to Nikon equipment in say
more than five different countries, never mind Worldwide ?

You must be confident that there are quite a few, as otherwise
you wouldn't be suggesting that readers wait for them to post,
would you ?

michael adams

Old August 18th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

Chris H wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

You might convince them to perform service on such equipment. The thing
is that all of this is an incredible hassle. You need to ensure that you
carry around all your receipts with you even just to get repairs that
are out of warranty.

Really, it would be sufficient for Nikon U.S.A. to tell customers that:

1) Gray market equipment has no warranty.

2) Equipment bought outside the U.S. requires both a receipt from the
vendor, and that the product be registered with Nikon in the country
where it was purchased, in order to obtain warranty service.

Nikon really needs to read the riot act to Nikon U.S.. OTOH, maybe it's
much ado about nothing. Outside of forums like this, few purchasers have
any idea about what's going on. Certainly the attitude of Nikon U.S.
would tip the scale in favor of purchasing Canon products, if everything
else was equal (which it rarely is).
Old August 18th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
nospam

In article , SMS
wrote:

Chris H wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

You might convince them to perform service on such equipment. The thing
is that all of this is an incredible hassle. You need to ensure that you
carry around all your receipts with you even just to get repairs that
are out of warranty.

it's hardly a hassle to carry a receipt when travelling to a different
country? just about every company will want proof of purchase for
warranty repairs, even if it's in the *same* country. and carrying a
receipt can also help if customs thinks you are trying to smuggle
stuff.

Really, it would be sufficient for Nikon U.S.A. to tell customers that:

1) Gray market equipment has no warranty.

2) Equipment bought outside the U.S. requires both a receipt from the
vendor, and that the product be registered with Nikon in the country
where it was purchased, in order to obtain warranty service.

that's basically how it works, except that registration is not required
for the standard warranty. if the customer sends in the card within
the appropriate time period (ten days, if i recall), they get an
*extended* 5 year warranty at no cost, for merely sending in the card.

in some cases, sending in the card isn't required either. for instance,
if the lens was introduced less than five years ago, there *can't* be
any copies that are older, and nikon will probably repair it (although
it's not wise to *rely* on this).

Nikon really needs to read the riot act to Nikon U.S.. OTOH, maybe it's
much ado about nothing.

considering it works the way you describe, it is much ado about nothing.

Outside of forums like this, few purchasers have
any idea about what's going on. Certainly the attitude of Nikon U.S.
would tip the scale in favor of purchasing Canon products, if everything
else was equal (which it rarely is).

it appears that few here have any idea what's going on.
Old August 18th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:10:10 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

However I would like to think that if I was travelling in the US with my
less that 12 month old Nikons I could get support and service from the
local Nikon offices.

This happens to you a lot? You travel and your cameras break down?

When in the UK, there are "local Nikon offices" scattered around the
country that you pop into?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 18th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

However I would like to think that if I was travelling in the US with my
less that 12 month old Nikons I could get support and service from the
local Nikon offices.

This happens to you a lot? You travel and your cameras break down?

It only has to happen once.
Old August 18th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message , SMS
writes
Chris H wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

You might convince them to perform service on such equipment. The thing
is that all of this is an incredible hassle. You need to ensure that
you carry around all your receipts with you even just to get repairs
that are out of warranty.

If I was in another country for 6+ months and taking the camera kit I
would take the paperwork...

Really, it would be sufficient for Nikon U.S.A. to tell customers that:

1) Gray market equipment has no warranty.

Fair enough

2) Equipment bought outside the U.S. requires both a receipt from the
vendor, and that the product be registered with Nikon in the country
where it was purchased, in order to obtain warranty service.

I can live with that.

Nikon really needs to read the riot act to Nikon U.S..

Possibly. probably on how it says it not what it is saying.

Old August 18th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Chris H

In message , tony cooper
writes
wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

However I would like to think that if I was travelling in the US with my
less that 12 month old Nikons I could get support and service from the
local Nikon offices.

This happens to you a lot? You travel and your cameras break down?

It has happened twice. In 30 years.

When in the UK, there are "local Nikon offices" scattered around the
country that you pop into?

There are authorised Nikon dealers and repair places who can quite
easily contact Nikon. We have a thing called the telephone in the UK.

Old August 18th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Cooper

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:49:39 +0100, Chris H
wrote:

In message , tony cooper
writes
wrote:

I was thinking of domiciled in country A and then moving to Country B
for work ie 6 months + not buying whilst on holiday.

However I would like to think that if I was travelling in the US with my
less that 12 month old Nikons I could get support and service from the
local Nikon offices.

This happens to you a lot? You travel and your cameras break down?

It has happened twice. In 30 years.

When in the UK, there are "local Nikon offices" scattered around the
country that you pop into?

There are authorised Nikon dealers and repair places who can quite
easily contact Nikon. We have a thing called the telephone in the UK.

We have these places in the US called "camera stores". They often
carry Nikon products, and often do repairs on Nikon products. They
are not "Nikon offices", though. We also have shops in some of the
larger cities that specialize in camera repair. Orlando has two that
I know of.

Sending a camera away to Nikon USA can take weeks; months, even. If I
was traveling - in the US or out of the US - and something went wrong
with my camera, I'd find local service regardless of what warranty was
offered on my camera or who would perform it.

I have no idea what your point is unless you just want to be on record
as complaining about something. We all (everyone that has commented
and that I have read) agree that Nikon USA's policies are
unnecessarily onerous. Without having any idea at all how Nikon UK
works, I'm quite willing to believe that they are warm, wonderful,
helpful, people and offer service and support far superior to Nikon
USA. Your beer is better than ours, and your countrymen don't have
nearly as bad teeth as they are portrayed as having.

Happy now? Or, is it "Next Whinge" time?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old August 18th 08, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
SMS

tony cooper wrote:

Sending a camera away to Nikon USA can take weeks; months, even. If I
was traveling - in the US or out of the US - and something went wrong
with my camera, I'd find local service regardless of what warranty was
offered on my camera or who would perform it.

I took my gray market film Canon SLR to a local repair place that is an
authorized repair facility for both Canon and Nikon. They didn't charge
me for the warranty repair, they simply entered the EOS-5 as an A2E
(it's essentially the same camera). However I doubt if they are equipped
to repair digital SLRs beyond stuff like shutter repair or sensor
cleaning. My local full-service camera store does sensor cleaning.

I have no idea what your point is unless you just want to be on record
as complaining about something. We all (everyone that has commented
and that I have read) agree that Nikon USA's policies are
unnecessarily onerous.

Onerous for the consumer to be sure. I'm sure Nikon USA is quite pleased
with themselves for believing that they've helped ensure that more
people purchase their products.

Without having any idea at all how Nikon UK
works, I'm quite willing to believe that they are warm, wonderful,
helpful, people and offer service and support far superior to Nikon
USA. Your beer is better than ours, and your countrymen don't have
nearly as bad teeth as they are portrayed as having.

The fish and chips are better in the UK too.