Why Do I need Lightroom?

Old May 30th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Why Do I need Lightroom?

Annika1980 wrote:
On May 30, 12:37 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
I got a month's freebie with
purchase of full CS3 suite..... for students. Way better than diddling
the clock.
Really? How much did that CS3 suite set you back?
-Annika ---- loves free stuff

About $315. hafta be a stoodint at one of their approved institutions. I
are. uscollegebuy.com. Tell 'em jp sent ya.

Wow, what a bargain! Oh wait, I got it for free!

Who Rules?

-Annika ----- clock diddler

Among other things.

I guess it's simply a choice individuals make. I am thrilled I got it
legally at a very good price.

At some point, maybe later in life, maybe tomorrow, many find there's a
price to pay in lack of integrity. And maybe not. But it's unseemly to
brag about it! Baaaaadddd Brett, Badddddd!

--
john mcwilliams
Old May 30th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On May 30, 5:47 pm, Rita Ä Berkowitz ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote:

Wow, what a bargain! Oh wait, I got it for free!

No surprise! I know you're putting the savings towards a Mk III and a
17-35/2.8 Nikkor.

Rita

No, for wide angle I thought I'd go with the Zeiss 21mm "T" Distagon.

Old May 30th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Michael Calverley

Annika1980 wrote:
I use Downloader Pro to download my images and Breezebrowser to
quickly view them.
Then I use Photoshop to edit them.

So somebody please tell me why I need Lightroom?
I'm considering going to a NAPP Lightroom seminar in Atlanta on Friday
given by Scott Kelby and I need to know if it'll be worth my time.

So what will Lightroom do that Photoshop won't?

Lightroom is a storage and archive type of program. It is geared to
professional photographers who have 10's of Thousands of photos. It
allows the Pro to group types of photos (landscape, stock, or
buildings) that might need to be accessed quickly.

For the Average Photographer, it is a little bit of overkill.

Old May 30th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Pudentame

James Silverton wrote:
Annika1980 wrote on 30 May 2007 06:56:39 -0700:

?? I got a month's freebie with
?? purchase of full CS3 suite..... for students. Way better
?? than diddling the clock.
??
A Really? How much did that CS3 suite set you back?

If you qualify for the academic version -
CS3 = $289.95 USD,
CS3 + Lightroom = $379.95 USD,

.... plus S&H.
Old May 31st 07, 04:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

John McWilliams wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
On May 30, 12:37 pm, John McWilliams wrote:
I got a month's freebie with
purchase of full CS3 suite..... for students. Way better than
diddling the clock.
Really? How much did that CS3 suite set you back?
-Annika ---- loves free stuff
About $315. hafta be a stoodint at one of their approved
institutions. I are. uscollegebuy.com. Tell 'em jp sent ya.

Wow, what a bargain! Oh wait, I got it for free!

Who Rules?

-Annika ----- clock diddler

Among other things.

I guess it's simply a choice individuals make. I am thrilled I got it
legally at a very good price.

At some point, maybe later in life, maybe tomorrow, many find there's
a price to pay in lack of integrity. And maybe not. But it's unseemly
to brag about it! Baaaaadddd Brett, Badddddd!

Well isn't that special...
.....Hmmm... -Stealing software for your own teensy-weensy enjoyment while
the honest wallets of others pitter patter their way to Heaven....
Hmmm...Who might think that's a good idea... Hmmm....
Could it be.......SATAN??????

-Church Lady

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old May 31st 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
Max Perl

"Annika1980" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
On May 29, 10:26 pm, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number
wrote:
I haven't upgraded to CS3, since the beta gave me major printing
headaches.
I know they've probably worked those kinks out...but I heard a similar
complaint from another guy using the full CS3 with Epson printers (I use
the
4000 Pro).

I still use the beta version and I have experienced the same problems.
When you go to the print menu CS3 doesn't seem to register changes
made to printer settings like paper size, paper type, etc.
What you have to do is to change the settings of your default printer
before you pull up the print menu. CS3 Beta defaults to those
settings no matter what you tell it in the print dialogue.

My CS3 Beta will only print in A4 size and you have to set the settings
for every printout like you describe.
I succeeded to have the preveiw showing A3 size, but it only printed
in A4 size anyway. Probably a limitation done by purpose.

From time to time my BS3 beta does not startup. But if I try to start the
Adobe Device Central CS3 which does not start either then PhotoShop
starts afterwards......funny.