Why does a dog lick himself?

Old August 25th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ian Cowan

Default Why does a dog lick himself?

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 13:10:45 +0100, "Mick Harris"
wrote:

"Dave E" wrote in message
"Mick Harris" wrote in message

"Dave E" wrote in message
Interesting article. Personally, I would love to see this rigour
applied to anything bearing the name 'photography'. Cue the Photoshop
fraternity who immediately drag out the 'photographers have been using
filters' argument.

Let's try "photographers have been using filters for years"....

DE

Hi all, it's my first post so go easy on me ;-)

Hi Mick,

welcome - not that I'm really any kind of official 'welcomer'... :-)

Photographers have been manipulating photos in the darkroom (and using
filters ;-) for years now, and Photoshop is just a digital version of the
darkroom, albeit allot more advanced, and in the right hands, is capable
of producing some outstanding images/pictures.

Very true, to an extent. Putting pacific blue skies into shots of some
parts of Asia in summer gets a bit far-fetched IMHO. Also, removing the
tree trunk growing out of granny's cranium is all too easy these days.
Take the best shot in the first instance if you ask me! :-)

As long as the end result is what we want, does it really matter how we
get there? The exception being photo journalism, which should only ever
use photographs that are un-manipulated.

Again, I agree to an extent.

IMO a photograph is the original image, un-manipulated, and straight from
the camera, whereas a manipulated photograph should be called a picture
or image.

Full agreement here, maybe being a little lenient on some minor colour
balancing, a touch of unsharp masking and any other necessary pre-press
work... lots of gray areas here...

As for the picture in question by the freelance photographer Adnan Hajj,
well, he hasn't done himself any favours by submitting work like that! It
has got to be one of the worst attempts at cloning I have ever seen, and
how/why Reuters let it be published in the first place is beyond me.

Indeed - he must have been a Canon shooter... :-P

from a 'canon shooter' ( FTB ).
if the original question was why does a dog lick his/her human's face,
the answer is
"because he's just licked his arse & wants to get the taste out of his
mouth" grin

Ian C

Anyway that's my two penneth, all the best.

Mick

Cheers,
Dave E (Sydney)

Hi Dave, and thanks for the welcome.
Yeah I know what you mean, those Pacific skies etc can be a bit over done
sometimes, normally over-saturated.
I tend to tweak most of my pics using Levels, Brightness/Contrast, and
Unsharp Mask, but I try to keep them as natural looking as possible.
Since going digital I have not had that many pics that haven't benefited
from some kind of tweak, especially Levels (however small) as I just don't
seem to get the richness & vibrancy straight from the camera (Canon EOS ;-)
that I used to get using Fuji Velvia, but that's probably down to me being
over critical!
Cheers
Mick