"crystal clear" lenses and fungus

Old February 17th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default "crystal clear" lenses and fungus

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...] The last
post I read here that was as good as that was the one where is said
that purely opening and closing jpegs degraded them.

I WISH that were true! Like a faded, folded and abused magazine in a
doctor's office.

You have inspired me! One of the things I do for the Day Job is cut macros
(and some original code) for image processing. I can hook into the web-page
counter to degrade a picture ever so little upon every view or interval of
views.

That's a good Minnesota below-zero project (okay, it's pure Cabin Fever).

Old February 17th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know if it happens to people here who buy second hand lenses
but I recently had two cameras with the beginnings of fungus on the
lenses that were described as "crystal clear, unmarked optics free from
scratches or fungus etc." Maybe it is just me but I know how fungus
starts. You get a film of grease first that is transparent composed of
hundreds of tiny transparent round deposits. Some time later (could be
years) the blobs are fewer and bigger. Some time after that these blobs
send out filaments and etch the glass.

I just spent five hours working on a Sonnar 180mm f2.8 to get the start
of fungus off the rear of the front element (if I had known how it was
constructed before I started, I guess it would only have taken an
hour). It was very early stage fungus so it hadn't even affected the
coating.

I got a lovely Ikonta with an Zeiss-Opton Tessar lens and that had the
bigger blobs but I cleaned that up and the fungus left only a slight
coating of its own on the glass (it was uncoated anyway so it might
even help).

Have other people come across this grease film in lenses they have
bought? If so, do you think it is fungus or not?

Many times, was cleaned on my knees, (fast, cheap..) and sold for idiots on
eBay

Old February 18th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

ELSAN wrote:

"Stacey" wrote:

Fungus doesn't grow on uncoated lenses,

WHAAAAT? Man, that's a reach.

I assumed this because I've never had fungus problems with non-coated
optics? Also never had a non-coated lens that wouldn't clean up, had lots
of coated ones that wouldn't.
--

Stacey
Old February 18th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Stacey wrote:
ELSAN wrote:

"Stacey" wrote:

Fungus doesn't grow on uncoated lenses,

WHAAAAT? Man, that's a reach.

I assumed this because I've never had fungus problems with non-coated

It happens far less often to non-coated lenses.

optics? Also never had a non-coated lens that wouldn't clean up, had lots
of coated ones that wouldn't.

Coating is much softer than glass so it is easy for fungus to get a
hold and damage the surface. Once it is clear to anyone that fungus is
growing on a coated lens (so not still in its earliest phase of being a
transparent grease layer), then I have never come across one that would
clean up and still have the coating intact in the affected places.

What gets me is how fungus manages to get into a combination lens that
is all screwed together in one unit. I know it is not air tight but I
can't see how the fungus finds its way in. And I don't see how it
manages to feed on something to first form that grease layer. How did
it get in and behind the front element of my Sonnar 180mm for the P6,
for example?

Old February 19th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

rafe b wrote:

"Done" wrote in message

Only one in my lifetime - on a Nikon enlarging lens.
I just threw it away.

Useful response. Not.

Your response was particulrly useless as it only attacked the other
poster who said what he did and yet you offered no other solution to the
problem. All you did is waste everyone's time by opening your post.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.