recommended monitor switch for laptop or desktop selection

Old December 4th 15, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Default recommended monitor switch for laptop or desktop selection

nospam wrote in
:

In article , Jeff
wrote:

As I mentioned above (and nospam snipped), my KVM has a switch wired to
it. I just unplugged the keyboard and mouse from it and it did indeed
switch the video alone.

the problem is that it's still vga, which is lower quality than if it
was directly attached (no kvm), much lower quality than if it was
digital, and since displays have multiple inputs, no kvm is needed
anyway.

Which of these monitors will also switch the keyboard, mouse and audio
between two or more PCs?

When you send me a check to cover the cost of a new monitor and two video
cards to drive the higher resolution I will consider replacing mine.

---

Old December 5th 15, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jeff
wrote:

As I mentioned above (and nospam snipped), my KVM has a switch wired to
it. I just unplugged the keyboard and mouse from it and it did indeed
switch the video alone.

the problem is that it's still vga, which is lower quality than if it
was directly attached (no kvm), much lower quality than if it was
digital, and since displays have multiple inputs, no kvm is needed
anyway.

Which of these monitors will also switch the keyboard, mouse and audio
between two or more PCs?

the original question was about a laptop and desktop so there's no need
to switch keyboard/trackpad/audio. also keep in mind that he'd need to
regularly connect and disconnect the laptop, so a kvm doesn't actually
solve anything.

the real question is what problem are you trying to solve where
switching between two computers while keeping keyboard, mouse, audio
and video the same would be considered to be a viable solution?

When you send me a check to cover the cost of a new monitor and two video
cards to drive the higher resolution I will consider replacing mine.

why would you need new video cards?? what in the world are you using?

just about every computer made in the past decade or so supports at
least 1080p, with 1920x1200 being fairly standard, often higher.
therefore there's no need for new video cards unless you want to go 4k
(which is worthwhile but a separate issue).

you also don't need to get a higher resolution display than you already
have. whatever you already have almost certainly has two inputs, so no
issue there either, unless it's cheap crap or a relic from the 1990s.

you can use whatever system you want, just be aware that vga is old
school and clearly inferior to other options that have been standard
for a *very* long time.

even dvi, which dates back about 15 years, has mostly been replaced
with hdmi and/or displayport.

the lowly raspberry pi computer, with the cheapest version selling for
just $5, has hdmi at 1080p, not vga.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/
Old December 7th 15, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

nospam wrote in
:

In article , Jeff
wrote:

As I mentioned above (and nospam snipped), my KVM has a switch wired
to it. I just unplugged the keyboard and mouse from it and it did
indeed switch the video alone.

the problem is that it's still vga, which is lower quality than if it
was directly attached (no kvm), much lower quality than if it was
digital, and since displays have multiple inputs, no kvm is needed
anyway.

Which of these monitors will also switch the keyboard, mouse and audio
between two or more PCs?

the original question was about a laptop and desktop so there's no need
to switch keyboard/trackpad/audio. also keep in mind that he'd need to
regularly connect and disconnect the laptop, so a kvm doesn't actually
solve anything.

The original question was about using a switch to connect two computers to
one monitor. Your only answer is to trash his new monitor and spend
hundreds more on another.

[...]

They are not quite that old but the computers and monitor resolution is
1440x900. The monitor has one VGA and one DVI input but the computers are
VGA, hence the use of a switch.

you can use whatever system you want, just be aware that vga is old
school and clearly inferior to other options that have been standard
for a *very* long time.

Perhaps you should tell that to the manufacturers that still sell it.

Old December 7th 15, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sun, 06 Dec 2015 23:56:40 GMT, Jeff wrote:

nospam wrote in
:

In article , Jeff
wrote:

[...]

Are there any manufacturers who still sell computer with *only* VGA?

Old December 7th 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jeff
wrote:

[...]

one of which is a laptop, which means he's going to be connecting and
disconnecting it no matter what he does.

Your only answer is to trash his new monitor and spend
hundreds more on another.

i didn't say anything remotely close to that.

i said that using vga is lower quality which is then further reduced by
using a kvm. i also said that his display almost certainly has multiple
inputs, so a kvm is not needed anyway (plus as above, the laptop would
still need to be connected/disconnected all the time anyway).

as i said before, the real question is what problem are people trying
to solve where they use one display with multiple computers. a kvm is
at best, an incredibly clunky solution.

[...]

the computers definitely are old if they don't have dvi, which came out
15 years ago, or don't support anything higher than 1440x900.

you can use whatever system you want, just be aware that vga is old
school and clearly inferior to other options that have been standard
for a *very* long time.

Perhaps you should tell that to the manufacturers that still sell it.

vga still exists because of the vast install base of outdated vga
displays.

it's not like people go out and actively seek vga anymore when dvi has
been standard for 15 years, which has mostly been replaced by hdmi and
displayport.

even dvi, which dates back about 15 years, has mostly been replaced
with hdmi and/or displayport.

the lowly raspberry pi computer, with the cheapest version selling for
just $5, has hdmi at 1080p, not vga.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

---

your sig delimiter is improper. a sig delimiter is two dashes followed
by a space, *not* three dashes as you've done.

also, a usenet post is not email nor is there any reason to scan it for
viruses.
Old December 7th 15, 06:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you can use whatever system you want, just be aware that vga is old
school and clearly inferior to other options that have been standard
for a *very* long time.

Perhaps you should tell that to the manufacturers that still sell it.

Are there any manufacturers who still sell computer with *only* VGA?

if there are, it's cheap crap that nobody actually wants.

even the $5 raspberry pi has hdmi.
Old December 7th 15, 06:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

nospam Wrote in message:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you can use whatever system you want, just be aware that vga is old
school and clearly inferior to other options that have been standard
for a *very* long time.

Perhaps you should tell that to the manufacturers that still sell it.

Are there any manufacturers who still sell computer with *only* VGA?

if there are, it's cheap crap that nobody actually wants.

even the $5 raspberry pi has hdmi.

fyi: the magpi magazine has that one in its wrap this month...

https://opensource.com/business/15/11/raspberry-pi-zero
--
Bats can't tell us apart!

----Android NewsGroup Reader----