recommended monitor switch for laptop or desktop selection

Old December 2nd 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default recommended monitor switch for laptop or desktop selection

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

the real question is why anyone is using vga in 2015. it's obsolete.

People are still using it because it is still available, it still fills
the needs of many people, and it will be around for quite some time.

just like vinyl records.

meanwhile, the rest of the world has moved on to much better standards.

I just treated myself to a new TV set, because the old 21" analog CRT TV
in my living room failed. The new 32" LCD LED set has among it's
connections... wait for it... VGA.

it also has hdmi inputs, likely more than one.

Of course, I don't care that it has a
VGA input; I'm using the RF "F" barrel connection to hook up my antenna
on the roof.

why am i not surprised.

I realize that in your world, everyone must do exactly as you say, but
one day, you may come to realize that it doesn't work that way. People
will do things that may not be in accordance with your way of thinking.

i'm not telling anyone to do anything.

people are free to use outdated standards, which you clearly do, but
they should be fully aware that it's outdated and that the results will
be sub-par.

vga is obsolete. it came out in the 1980s and has long been surpassed
with dvi, hdmi, displayport and thunderbolt.
Old December 3rd 15, 09:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

Ken Hart wrote in
:

On 11/30/2015 08:35 PM, charles wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2015 20:10:58 -0400, Bill Baxter
wrote:

I recently upgraded my monitor and I would like to allow not only use
of my desktop, but my laptop as well. All have standard VGA ports.
What would be a decent, cheap switch to use? Once upon a time, I used
a mechanical switch that rotated 4 positions to enable use of any 4
computers with one monitor, but over time colors would change as there
started to be intermittents since it was mechanical, so hoping there's
a cheap electronic switch these days. Thanks.

Try a google search for KVM switch tom's hardware. There are several
threads on Tom's site, stuff there always seemed believeble to me.

Prices vary alot.

Some time ago, I had two computers that I wanted to use with one set of
monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I used a KVM ("Keyboard, Video, Mouse")
switch with good results. In my case, one computer was running Win95,
the other Win98 (I did say "Some time ago"!).

The switch was activated by a key combination. You will want to make
sure that the required key combination is not something you already use.
IIRC, mine used CTRL-PrintScreen.

I had one like that until I replaced a PC with one that had only USB for
the keyboard and mouse. I replaced the KVM switch with one from IOGEAR
with a wired switch that sits on the desk and still use it. It did have
an issue with a hum in the switched audio which I solved by using two
speaker sets plugged directly into the PCs to bypass the switch.

The system worked well, and the gadget cost around $40.

In your case, since you want to switch only a monitor between two
computers, I don't think a KVM switch would work. But anyone who sells a
KVM switch probably sells a monitor switch, so starting your search
there will probably work. Surely there is an electronic version of your
mechanical switch.

There should be no reason a KVM switch would not work for just video. The
signals are independent.

---

Old December 3rd 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jeff
wrote:

There should be no reason a KVM switch would not work for just video. The
signals are independent.

yes there is.
Old December 3rd 15, 07:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff

nospam wrote in news:031220151039197539%
lid:

In article , Jeff
wrote:

There should be no reason a KVM switch would not work for just video. The
signals are independent.

yes there is.

Care to elucidate?

---

Old December 3rd 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jeff
wrote:

There should be no reason a KVM switch would not work for just video. The
signals are independent.

yes there is.

Care to elucidate?

vga is analog and subject to artifacts, even without a kvm.

this is especially true with low quality kvms, like the garbage that
someone linked which doesn't even pass ddc, resulting in a low res
image. what kind of idiot designs a vga kvm that doesn't pass ddc?

vga is obsolete. it's time to move on. the quality of dvi, hdmi, dp and
thunderbolt are *much* better than vga, even on the same display.

nearly all displays these days have multiple inputs, eliminating the
need for a kvm entirely. choose which input on the display itself.

here's a display chosen at random, which has *three* inputs: dvi, vga
and displayport.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...s&l=en&cs=04&s
ku=320-2676
and another display which has dvi, hdmi and displayport. note that
there's *no* vga:
http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cx271/connectors.jpg
eizo's 4k display (not possible with vga) has two hdmi and two
displayport:
http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/c...18-4K_connecto
rs.jpg
Old December 3rd 15, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

But, of course, we all know by now that (according to nospam) ALL VGA
devices should be relegated to a trash heap, and erased from the
collective memory, ala George Orwell's 1984. VGA is no good, VGA is a
blight on humanity, VGA might die. nospam has so decreed.

although you're trying to mock me, that's pretty much true and it's not
my decree either. technology moves forward, whether you like it or not.

the fact is that vga is obsolete. it's analog and produces an inferior
image. it came out in the late 1980s, about *thirty* years ago, and has
long been surpassed by several different options, including dvi which
dates back about *fifteen* years, which has largely been replaced with
hdmi and/or displayport.

there are always laggards like yourself who are stuck in the past. you
no doubt still use floppy disks and a dot matrix printer loaded with
fanfold paper that is is connected via a parallel port.
Old December 4th 15, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Jeff
wrote:

As I mentioned above (and nospam snipped), my KVM has a switch wired to it.
I just unplugged the keyboard and mouse from it and it did indeed switch
the video alone.

the problem is that it's still vga, which is lower quality than if it
was directly attached (no kvm), much lower quality than if it was
digital, and since displays have multiple inputs, no kvm is needed
anyway.