{SI} My Impressions of Glass, Steel, & COncrete

Old February 1st 05, 01:43 AM
Walt Hanks

Default {SI} My Impressions of Glass, Steel, & COncrete

In spite of the server problems, I think we had a very successful round.
There is something I enjoy in every image.

Bob Hickey: Bob, I really want to love your shot. I enjoy the architecture,
the construction, and the feel. But the exposure seems a little off (burn
those bright window frames) and I am not sure where the glass and steel are.

Alan Browne: I enjoy your use of the glass-like surface of the water to
meet the mandate. But like Bob's, I think the exposure could have been more
balanced. If you were going to lose the snow on the far shore anyway, why
not expose the guard rail properly? Very creative though.

Quercus: Very interesting. It certainly meets the mandate, and as a student
of architecture I am interested in the angles and use of steel in the
geometry of the siding. Thanks for bringing this to us.

Bowser: OK, so it's missing the concrete. Who cares. I really enjoy the
shot. It is tightly composed, properly exposed, and tells a story. Good
work!

Jim Kramer: This one still has be chuckling. Thanks.

Ken: Yes, it's a little contrived (a broken bottle on the concrete would be
believable), but I like the lines and sense of composition. It is well
exposed and well presented. Thanks!

Vic Mason: OK Vic. Please explain. This one has me a little stumped. Are
you commenting on change?

Brian: It's loading now!!! Very well done. As someone with no studio
skills, I find these shots very enticing. Good work!

Al: What can I say. The inspiration just doesn't always come. But it meets
the mandate! Thanks also for fighting the server and getting the mandate
up.

Now, regarding my own shot. I wish the weather had cooperated, but as
anyone who lives in the East knows, we haven't had a decent day in weeks, so
a boring sky was all there was. I also wish I had a PC lens, but I don't.
Still, I hope I conveyed a little of the beauty and feel of the building.
More than that, I hope that all of you are curious about what is displayed
inside. It is a remarkable place.

And, since some have asked, the planes my father helped fabricate were the
early Northrup flying wing and the Lear 23. My father and I also pit crewed
for several of the racing aircraft displayed.

--
Walt Hanks

Old February 1st 05, 03:36 AM
Brian C. Baird

says...
And, since some have asked, the planes my father helped fabricate were the
early Northrup flying wing and the Lear 23. My father and I also pit crewed
for several of the racing aircraft displayed.

I love that Museum. A lot of great old planes. I've got a few shots up
from my visit there on my site at:

http://www4.pbase.com/bcbaird/airspaceannex

As for the family connection, my grandfather worked at Lockheed for
quite some time. He ran the P-38 production line during WWII and worked
on various projects after that, including the C-130. For a summer job,
my dad built C-130 wings.

Unfortunately, my grandfather passed in the 1970s and never spoke much
of his work. All of his coworkers are sure to have passed on, so it's
impossible to know what other cool things he may have worked on during
his tenure.

I should go back and visit the annex - it's only a half hour away and
I'm sure there are photographic possibilities still untapped.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
Old February 1st 05, 07:37 AM
Ken Nadvornick

"Walt Hanks" wrote:

Ken: Yes, it's a little contrived (a broken bottle on the concrete would

be
believable), but I like the lines and sense of composition. It is well
exposed and well presented. Thanks!

Hi Walt,

Many thanks for your generous comments. Fewer and fewer (myself included)
seem willing to tackle this aspect. I imagine that my reluctance to comment
is rooted in the same unease that many of those lurkers reading this post
feel when they think about posting their own photos to the SI. In both
cases it just doesn't happen.

I do find "a little contrived" to be a *very* interesting reaction as the
scene was actually a found composition. The bridge is located right outside
of town and carries a lot of pedestrian traffic. There is an Albertsons
grocery store a short walk away and a Safeway grocery just beyond that. I
assume a walker on their way home was briefly standing there looking down at
the creek (or at the recently rebuilt bridge itself) and likely forgot the
unfinished bottle and just walked away. I dunno...

Maybe I'll stop by those grocery stores to see if they actually stock
8-ounce glass bottles of Coke. I heard somewhere that these are
manufactured and supplied solely for the tiny number of people who still own
vintage antique Coca-Cola vending machines. (And there's a lesson in that
for those who constantly proclaim that film is dead forever.)

In retrospect, I wish I had waited and come back after dark to try
photographing the scene using an electronic flash. Doing so would have made
for a harsher, but more graphically appealing, image by eliminating all of
the background clutter of trees. (See, Alan. I do listen to the opinions
you offer... grin)

And I did keep the bottle.

Ken

Old February 2nd 05, 02:46 AM
R.Schenck

"Walt Hanks" on 31 Jan 2005 posted

In spite of the server problems, I think we had a very successful
round. There is something I enjoy in every image.

Bob Hickey: Bob, I really want to love your shot. I enjoy the
architecture, the construction, and the feel. But the exposure seems
a little off (burn those bright window frames) and I am not sure where
the glass and steel are.

or the concrete. Those are cut stone blocks no?