Canon Rebel battery life

Old August 18th 04, 03:46 AM
dmtaurus

Default Canon Rebel battery life

I have a Canon Rebel 35mm that is about 12 years old. It has always
worked good. But recently it has begun to really use the battery
power. I bought a battery for it several months ago and shot about one
roll of film. And most of the pictures did not use the flash. I am
diligent to turn the dial selector to the "off" position when I am not
using it. The battery brands I've been buying are Evereadys and
Duracells. Is there a problem with this camera model that anyone might
be aware of?

Old August 19th 04, 02:55 AM
Doug Krause

dmtaurus wrote:
I have a Canon Rebel 35mm that is about 12 years old. It has always
worked good. But recently it has begun to really use the battery
power. I bought a battery for it several months ago and shot about one
roll of film. And most of the pictures did not use the flash. I am
diligent to turn the dial selector to the "off" position when I am not
using it. The battery brands I've been buying are Evereadys and
Duracells. Is there a problem with this camera model that anyone might
be aware of?

Some Elan IIs have a problem where some brands of battery will
run out very quickly or cause really weird malfunctions. Some-
thing to do with the length of the battery. Maybe the Rebel
is similar?

I ended up solving the problem with my Elan II by buying the
BP-50 battery pack. Haven't had a glitch since then.

Old August 20th 04, 10:37 PM
Doug Krause

dmtaurus wrote:
What is the BP-50 battery pack? I'm not familiar with it.

First, let me say that I don't know if the BP-50 will work
with the Rebel.

The BP-50 is an external battery pack and vertical grip for
the Elan II. It is L shaped. Part of the L goes directly
into the battery compartment of the Elan. The other part
of the L goes snug against the bottom of the camera (this
part becomes the vertical grip when you hold the camera
sideways.)

Another feature of the BP-50 is that it can take either the
standard 2CR5 battery or 4 AAs.

Very nice accesory and completely solved my Elan II's battery
problems.