New Sony SLR hybrid

Old December 8th 05, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default New Sony SLR hybrid

Sony just came out with a hybrid SLR.
It's the Sony R1
I guess it's not really an SLR but offers some advantages of an SLR.
Like:
1) no shutter lag
2)Sensor 10 times bigger than a compact digcam (supposedly, overheating
problems have been solved)

You can use the LCD screen to compose your shot (Live preview screen)
You blur the background (or foreground) while keeping the subject in
sharp focus, something that's difficult to do with compact cameras.
Wide angle lens (24mm) is not common on digital SLRs. (So I heard)

Cons:
The review in today's NY Times mentions that it's "big, black and heavy
but comfortable"."
Can't interchange lenses
It has a rotating screen but not well made.
Viewfinder is also electronic. I would think that they would have an
optical viewfinder instead of2 electronic LCDs.
There are other good and bad points but too many to get into now. Check
out today's NY Times.
The list price is $1,000.

Ihor

Old December 8th 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Read dpreview if you want to learn, you really missed what it is about,
but its not a camera for me.

Old December 9th 05, 07:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Am 8 Dec 2005 09:57:15 -0800 schrieb Bill Tuthill:

This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
review include focussing time.

Regards,
Andi
Old December 9th 05, 06:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Andreas Buchner wrote:

This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
review include focussing time.

So what now, you're planning to take pictures without focusing?

A Canon D series camera with USM lens has AF shutter lag in the .1
to .2 second range. That's four to eight times as fast.

Old December 10th 05, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message ...
Andreas Buchner wrote:

This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
review include focussing time.

So what now, you're planning to take pictures without focusing?

A Canon D series camera with USM lens has AF shutter lag in the .1
to .2 second range. That's four to eight times as fast.

Can't you manually focus (mechanically with a focus ring on the lens) and
then just take the picture without shutter lag?

Gerrit

Old December 10th 05, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bill Tuthill wrote:
Andreas Buchner wrote:

This is terrible! I suppose there are some old digicams with
shutter lag this bad, but most newer ones have less.

No, it's really almost instant. The timings mentioned in imaging-res.
review include focussing time.

So what now, you're planning to take pictures without focusing?

A Canon D series camera with USM lens has AF shutter lag in the .1
to .2 second range. That's four to eight times as fast.

The way I work is to pre-focus, and keep my finger on the shutter release
until the critical moment. The shutter lag had by doing this is almost
negligible if you choose the right non-DSLR.

David