Will Nikon 8008 work with Lithium AAs?

Old August 4th 04, 03:34 AM
ND

Default Will Nikon 8008 work with Lithium AAs?

Are there any problems with using Lithium AA batteries with a Nikon 8008?

Thanks.
Old August 4th 04, 01:54 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , ND
wrote:

Are there any problems with using Lithium AA batteries with a Nikon 8008?

Nikon doesn't recommend them for this body; the information I got from
them (some time ago) was that only the N90 and F5 should be used with
lithium AA's.

The reason is that lithium batteries have a funny voltage curve, and
briefly put out 1.7V until settling down under load to 1.5V. If the
camera circuitry isn't designed for this initial spike, it could be
damaged.

Not to say the camera will be instantly destroyed; I used lithiums in
my 8008s until i heard otherwise. But it's best to go with the
manufacturer's suggestions.

Old August 4th 04, 04:21 PM
Jim MacKenzie

"Scott Schuckert" wrote in message
Nikon doesn't recommend them for this body; the information I got from
them (some time ago) was that only the N90 and F5 should be used with
lithium AA's.

F90x/N90s bodies can use lithiums, but not the F90/N90. F100 and F5 can use
lithiums too. I'm not sure about the other bodies.

Jim

Old August 5th 04, 02:19 PM
Scott Schuckert

In article , Jim MacKenzie
wrote:

F90x/N90s bodies can use lithiums, but not the F90/N90. F100 and F5 can use
lithiums too. I'm not sure about the other bodies.

Quite right, now that i think about it; I'd forgotten about the
N90/N90s distinction. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old August 6th 04, 11:13 PM
Peter Chant

In article ,
Scott Schuckert writes:

The reason is that lithium batteries have a funny voltage curve, and
briefly put out 1.7V until settling down under load to 1.5V. If the
camera circuitry isn't designed for this initial spike, it could be
damaged.

Not to say the camera will be instantly destroyed; I used lithiums in
my 8008s until i heard otherwise. But it's best to go with the
manufacturer's suggestions.

You are telling me that many Nikon cameras cannot survive a whopping
great extra 200mV per cell, if you have say four cells that is a massive
extra 0.8V, 6.8V rather than 6V. Unless there is a damn good reason
if the cameras are damaged by that they must have a really bad
electronic design. You would have hoped that if it affects metering
that they would have added some form of regulation that would
ensure that this was not an issue, or more importantly that the metering
did not change as the cells discharged.

--

http://www.petezilla.co.uk

Old August 6th 04, 11:59 PM
Alan Browne

Peter Chant wrote:

In article ,
Scott Schuckert writes:

[...]

The manufacturer is the best reference for recomended battery
type. If they state the battery may damage the unit, don't use
it. (I have the same issue regarding the vertical grip of my
Maxxum 9).

Cheers,
Alan

Old August 7th 04, 02:55 AM
William Graham

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Peter Chant wrote:

In article ,
Scott Schuckert writes:

[...]

Yes. - I am worried about using 6 lead-acid gel-cells to power my 12 volt
Nikon. The reason is, 12 volt lead acid batteries can charge up to over 14
volts, and an automotive alternator will normally put out as much as 14.7
volts while the engine is running and charging the car's battery. I don't
know what Nikon says about this, so I made a battery pack using only 5
cells, which don't usually charge higher than 11 volts, just to be safe. I
could build a 12 volt regulator also, which was recommended to me by another
poster on this group. If I wanted to run my camera directly from my car's
cigarette lighter, then I will build one of these.........