Rollei Infrared Film

Old July 31st 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
JimKramer

Default Rollei Infrared Film

On Jul 30, 8:35 pm, wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:29 pm, JimKramer wrote:

On Jul 30, 6:46 pm, Nick Fotis wrote:

So, for me and others who liked Scala, Rollei RSD is the only replacement,
right?

At 6 ISO and below, I guess this isn't exactly what I hoped for (100 ISO at
the minimum).

That infrared film is intriguing, I may order some for my medium format
cameras...

Cheers,
N.F.

There is a little bit on APUG, just search for "Rollei" and
"Infrared". Several pictures to look at, but not a whole lot on
exposure :-( The film is apparently too new.

Jim

I think the best way to find out Jim is to try it out yourself! What
is a beautiful film to me may be crap to you. Lol.
Helen- Hide quoted text -

I'm debating between trying the Rollei IR and some of Ilford's SFX. I
already have a R72 filter. Maybe I'll just get both to ease the
shipping costs.

Old July 31st 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Jul 30, 9:07 pm, JimKramer wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:35 pm, wrote:

[...]

shipping costs.- Hide quoted text -

Checking out both films makes a lot of sense.

Old July 31st 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Nick Fotis wrote:

So, for me and others who liked Scala, Rollei RSD is the only replacement,
right?

At 6 ISO and below, I guess this isn't exactly what I hoped for (100 ISO at
the minimum).

ISO 6 is a little conservative. The UK agent for the film recommends
ISO 10 to 20.

But you're right, in that it is a poor substitute for the wonderful
Agfa Scala. I have now stocked up with Scala and have over a 100 35mm
cassettes in the freezer. I have one project to complete with Scala,
and only after that is all over shall I look at alternatives.

Old July 31st 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nick Fotis

Tony Polson wrote:

But you're right, in that it is a poor substitute for the wonderful
Agfa Scala. I have now stocked up with Scala and have over a 100 35mm
cassettes in the freezer. I have one project to complete with Scala,
and only after that is all over shall I look at alternatives.

It seems that there are the following 3 alternatives:
1. buy the last stock of Agfa Scala (at least, B&H has it in its catalog)
and send the exposed rolls for development outside Greece (I think there
are still 4-5 labs worldwide which still can process it)

2. buy the new Rollei RSD film, and suffer from the very low sensitivity (it
needs normal development with its chemicals, from what I can understand).

3. Learn to use film-reversal chemicals with normal black&white films.

Scenarios 2) and 3) need direct involvement (chemicals) at home (I never did
darkroom, and I don't look forward to it, due to lack of space and time -
and working with these chemicals doesn't sound exactly fun to me).

Any other ideas?

N.F.
Old July 31st 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Toni Nikkanen

Nick Fotis writes:

It seems that there are the following 3 alternatives:
1. buy the last stock of Agfa Scala (at least, B&H has it in its catalog)
and send the exposed rolls for development outside Greece (I think there
are still 4-5 labs worldwide which still can process it)

I bought some rolls a bit over a month ago from lumiere-shop.de, they
still had it in stock. A lab in France has been suggested as a place
to develop it:

http://www.arkalab.com/index_uk.html

Old July 31st 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Tony Polson wrote:

But you're right, in that it is a poor substitute for the wonderful
Agfa Scala. I have now stocked up with Scala and have over a 100 35mm
cassettes in the freezer. I have one project to complete with Scala,
and only after that is all over shall I look at alternatives.

A long time ago, Kodak sold a reversal kit. I think it was for
Tri-X, but it might have been for Plus-X. They later changed it
(at least in name) to work with T-Max. It has been discontinued,
but it may still be on a shelf somewhere.

Here is the instruction pamphlet for it:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j87/j87.pdf

http://www.photoformulary.com has one. (entire URL too long to post)

This is a complete kit, you mix up all the solutions in it and
develop your film.

Ilford has a PDF file on how to do it their film.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applicati...nload.asp?n=11

You use their developers, but make some of the solutions yourself.

With some experimentation, it should work with almost any combination
of film and developers, with varying results.

KB25, whomever makes it this week, was advertised by an independent lab
a few years ago as producing better results in their Agfa Scala
processing than Scala itself.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old July 31st 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Andrew Price

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:14:07 +0100, Tony Polson wrote:

[---]

But you're right, in that it is a poor substitute for the wonderful
Agfa Scala. I have now stocked up with Scala and have over a 100 35mm
cassettes in the freezer.

I bought the last remaining 120 format stocks of Scala in
Braunschweig, when I heard the news that Agfa had been declared
bankrupt, and it's still in my freezer - but it never occurred to me
to check on processing. Are there still competent laboratories around
who are prepared to develop the stuff?
Old July 31st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Tony Polson

Andrew Price wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:14:07 +0100, Tony Polson wrote:

[---]

But you're right, in that it is a poor substitute for the wonderful
Agfa Scala. I have now stocked up with Scala and have over a 100 35mm
cassettes in the freezer.

I bought the last remaining 120 format stocks of Scala in
Braunschweig, when I heard the news that Agfa had been declared
bankrupt, and it's still in my freezer - but it never occurred to me
to check on processing. Are there still competent laboratories around
who are prepared to develop the stuff?

Yes, there are at least four across the world, including one in
Germany.

Old July 31st 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

"Nick Fotis" wrote
It seems that there are the following 3 alternatives:
1. buy the last stock of Agfa Scala
2. buy the new Rollei RSD film
3. Learn to use film-reversal chemicals
Any other ideas?

Shoot the negative film of your choice and then contact it to
'b&w print film': the film used for making movie prints.

Eastman 5302. About $20 for a 100ft roll.

There is a Leitz/Leica contact printer for this purpose, comes
up on ebay now and then.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/index.htm

Old July 31st 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nick Fotis

wrote:

I found this very interesting. Just scroll down to Rollei IR400.
It's very similar to what I said in the beginning:
http://www.dr5.com/filmprintout.html

I think I understand the source of our confusion.
I undertook a more careful reading of the DR5 site, and they meant that they
use this film under their generic reversal process (so, you can e.g. send
in your Tmax-100 roll and they'll make it a black&white slide, like Scala).

Definitely something to know (is there a European counterpart, to economize
a bit in postage costs?). Sounds much cheaper getting a plain 100-speed B&W
negative film (e.g. Ilford Delta 100) and have them pass it through their
reversal process.

N.F.