The joke that is Adorama

Old May 5th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default The joke that is Adorama

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
t...
wrote:
Having spent $$$$ over the years at B&H, always with 100% satisfaction,
I made the mistake of ordering (yes, I know it can be downloaded) Nikon
Capture 4.4 from Adorama. It is listed as 4.4 (for the D200), I was
billed for 4.4, and was sent version 4.3, which won't open NEF from the
D200. I sent it back with a note requesting them to send 4.4. A week
and a half passed with no 4.4. I call Adorama. "Customer service"
states "yeah several of 4.3 were sent out like that, I see a credit for
you here." Well, do you have 4.4? "The computer says we do but I will
need to check." She would call me back. She never did. I call the next
day, I'm transfered to sales. I'm told that in the 4.3 box Nikon tells
you how to get 4.4! Great, maybe telling me that before I read that
opened boxes of software will not be accepted returned. What ****ty
service! Never again Adorama.

Uhm ... what's the problem? Granted, you got 4.3. But now you go to
Nikon's
website and download the 4.4 patch to update it ... or the software can do
it
for you during its update process. It isn't that tough.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

I read the OP differently, in that he did NOT open the box and sent it back
knowing that 4.3 was of no use to him.... the smart thing to do with regard
to the "opened returns" policy etc.

If Adorama had of told him that it was normal for 4.3 to be sent and that an
upgrade path to 4.4 was enclosed inside, there would have been no problem in
the first place. Adorama also missed subsequent chances of letting him know
about the enlcosed upgrade path.

So if my reading of the OP is correct, he does have a right to be ****ty
with them.

Just my 2c! :-)

Old May 5th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
POTD.com.au wrote:

I read the OP differently, in that he did NOT open the box and sent
it back knowing that 4.3 was of no use to him.... the smart thing to
do with regard to the "opened returns" policy etc.

The OP stated, "I'm told that in the 4.3 box Nikon tells
you how to get 4.4! Great, maybe telling me that before I read that
opened boxes of software will not be accepted returned." which leads me to
believe that he opened it.

But he did return it and get a credit..... so it "could" be taken that this
statement stopped him from opening it so he could send it back.

If Adorama had of told him that it was normal for 4.3 to be sent and
that an upgrade path to 4.4 was enclosed inside, there would have
been no problem in the first place. Adorama also missed subsequent
chances of letting him know about the enlcosed upgrade path.

My guess is the OP is a troll since we haven't heard back from him. My
dealings with Adorama and B&H have been that they both exceed and go above
and beyond the call of duty to correct customer service issues.

So if my reading of the OP is correct, he does have a right to be
****ty with them.

Hey, this is America; he has a right to bitch all he wants whether he's
right or wrong. The issue is there are no benefits in doing so since the
solution to his problem is a download away.

Agreed, but he now needs the 4.3 version back to do so.

Old May 5th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message

My guess is the OP is a troll since we haven't heard back from him.

No. He is just so busy trying to download version 4.4 and get it to work,
that he hasn't had time to read his email..........

Old May 5th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

LOL! See life is easier than you thought! Since you returned the product
and I'm sure you have proof of this? You now should simply file a
chargeback with your CC company if Adorama doesn't quickly honor a full
refund. As for the software, download it from Nikon and buy it since it's
the same damn price. How can life get any easier than this other than Nikon
flying in a tech rep from Japan to install it on your computer?

My,my,my "Rita" you are a caustic entity! The problem is obviously
yours. You are neither shocking or amusing. You're as a million others
on the net;a bore with an agenda. In this case an obvious one.

Old May 6th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:
"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message

My guess is the OP is a troll since we haven't heard back from him.

Brilliant deducution.

Old May 7th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

On 2006-05-03 12:33:08 -0400, said:

Having spent $$$$ over the years at B&H, always with 100% satisfaction,
I made the mistake of ordering (yes, I know it can be downloaded) Nikon
Capture 4.4 from Adorama. It is listed as 4.4 (for the D200), I was
billed for 4.4, and was sent version 4.3, which won't open NEF from the
D200. I sent it back with a note requesting them to send 4.4. A week
and a half passed with no 4.4. I call Adorama. "Customer service"
states "yeah several of 4.3 were sent out like that, I see a credit for
you here." Well, do you have 4.4? "The computer says we do but I will
need to check." She would call me back. She never did. I call the next
day, I'm transfered to sales. I'm told that in the 4.3 box Nikon tells
you how to get 4.4! Great, maybe telling me that before I read that
opened boxes of software will not be accepted returned. What ****ty
service! Never again Adorama.

I manage a small datacenter. I run 30 some odd servers, a mix of Sun
SPARC running Solaris, AMD/Intell Running Linux and a few HP servers
running (%$*&#!) Windows 2003 Every time I purchase a new server, a
new OS or new software, it is standard operating practice to install
the software and then patch/upgrade from the maufactures site. This is
industry standard practice and very common. Rarely is the supplied CD
or DVD issue of the software the current patch level. I do this with
my home software as well. Anytime I purchase software I immediately
check fo upgrades and do it.
--
Jim

Old May 8th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Rita Ä Berkowitz" ritaberk2O04 @aol.com wrote in message
POTD.com.au wrote:

SNIP

My guess is the OP is a troll since we haven't heard back from him. My
dealings with Adorama and B&H have been that they both exceed and go above
and beyond the call of duty to correct customer service issues.

Good lord, one guy bitching about an experience he had is not a troll. And
as far as not coming back--if you went somewhere for a sympathetic ear and
got the opposite, would you come back?

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old May 9th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
Matt Clara wrote:

Good lord, one guy bitching about an experience he had is not a
troll. And as far as not coming back--if you went somewhere for a
sympathetic ear and got the opposite, would you come back?

What was there for him to bitch about? The gentleman had options that would
have worked in his favor if he expended the "whine energy" into downloading
the update instead of boring us with this nonsense. He wasted more energy
and made himself an unhappy camper for nothing. Maybe it's just me? I find
expending energy on trying to fix problems more productive than bitching
about them.

Not at all, Rita; I agree his biggest problem was his own ignorance,
I'm just saying, let's not be so hasty to label him a troll. The guy
posting all the foul mouthed racist crap is a troll, and while there
are subtler ways to troll, this strikes me as a guy who's just venting,
hoping for a sympathetic ear.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old May 9th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Matt Clara wrote:

Good lord, one guy bitching about an experience he had is not a
troll. And as far as not coming back--if you went somewhere for a
sympathetic ear and got the opposite, would you come back?

What was there for him to bitch about?

You guys just don't get what the OP was saying. Everyone was so quick to
run off saying that he opened software etc, but nobody actually read the
post.

The guy was never informed that 4.4 was available as an upgrade from 4.3
(this info was inside the box). He purchased 4.4 in good faith that it was
indeed 4.4 that he was receiving, but 4.3 arrived with no mention of the
upgrade inside, but it did mention that if the box was opened it could not
be returned.

The OP did the correct thing and returned the unopened box, still unaware of
the upgrade path as Adorama FAILED to inform him of this practice. On
return of the box, Adorama then FAILED twice more to inform him of the
upgrade policy and left him sitting with a credit and NO software.

"What was there for him to bitch about?" ...the fact that Adorama did not
divulge this simple but VITAL bit of information that would have seen the
whole situation avoided.

Old May 9th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

POTD.com.au wrote:

What was there for him to bitch about?

You guys just don't get what the OP was saying. Everyone was so
quick to run off saying that he opened software etc, but nobody
actually read the post.

It was fully read,

But not understood, or you wouldn't have been so quick to jump in with..

"Are you done crying? You opened, loaded, and used it so now you own it."

It's really irrelevant if he opened it or not.

No it is not, it is at the very heart of the matter.

The guy was never informed that 4.4 was available as an upgrade from
4.3 (this info was inside the box). He purchased 4.4 in good faith
that it was indeed 4.4 that he was receiving, but 4.3 arrived with no
mention of the upgrade inside, but it did mention that if the box was
opened it could not be returned.

He knew 4.4 was available and after receiving 4.3 he should assume that
his
answers would be with the vendor (Adorama) or on Nikon's site or tech
support if he didn't get immediate resolution.

He did and he returned it to Adorama. At which point they should have
informed him of the upgrade path, but they did not. Yes, perhaps a phone
call or support email to Adorama may have resolved the issue, but the path
taken by the OP was reasonable.

The OP did the correct thing and returned the unopened box, still
unaware of the upgrade path as Adorama FAILED to inform him of this
practice. On return of the box, Adorama then FAILED twice more to
inform him of the upgrade policy and left him sitting with a credit
and NO software.

Did he use Adorama's correct procedure for processing returns and get an
RMA# prior to returning it?

One can only assume that the correct procedure was followed, as Adorama did
accept the return and apply a credit to his account.

The point being, he was to quick to slam
Adorama without thinking about his contributory negligence in this
situation. And the foolishness of having "NO software" would have been
avoided by asking a few simple questions. He punished himself.

Negligent of the upgrade path, yes.... but hardly his fault when he ordered
what was noted as 4.4 on the site, sold as 4.4 and receipted as 4.4.
Adorama had plenty of chances to "inform" him of the procedure..... in
reality, it would be so simple to list it correctly as 4.3 on their web site
and state "Includes a 4.4 upgrade"

"What was there for him to bitch about?" ...the fact that Adorama
did not divulge this simple but VITAL bit of information that would
have seen the whole situation avoided.

So, you are saying he is a helpless victim in this situation?

Pretty much yes. He has in good faith done what he felt was the right thing
and Adorama missed the chance to bring him up to speed.

If it were
me, I would have taken a deep breathe and count to ten and calmly think
about what options I have in front of me. He didn't do this and he
frustrated himself to the point he has to blow off some steam and **** in
the wind. He got a face full in the end.

You have no way of knowing what thought processes he went through. But in
the end, what he did in returning the product and asking for v4.4 as ordered
was reasonable. He did not jump straight to the NG and blow off steam...
he has only done that after Adorama FAILED to inform him when they had the
chance.

I would agree with your points if this were a piece of hardware where he
had
no other option but to be under Adorama's thumb. Even then, there are
reasonable options for quick resolution.

Hardware/software makes no diff.... he chose to purchase from Adorama and
they can be reasonably expected to provide correct information up-front.