Film holder for Ica Favorit: progress report

Old November 18th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

Default Film holder for Ica Favorit: progress report

I'm happy to report that I now have a whopping *one* film holder for my
Ica Favorit (9x12).

It's actually a film pack holder that I modified to take a single sheet
of film. Ackshooly, I didn't do anything to the holder itself, but
merely made an insert from illustration board to hold the film, with a
frame of index stock to hold it in place. After the insert is in place I
hold it in with a piece of foam rubber under the film-pack cover.

The focus is correct, as I determined by a focus test shot; I set up a
target consisting of a bunch of playing cards on edge with one in the
center marked with felt-tip pen. I focused on the marked card, pretty
easy because of the pattern on the back of the card, and took a shot.
The resulting negative is right in focus at that spot.

So I'm ready to shoot--one sheet at a time. I suppose if I took along my
changing bag I could take as many shots as I wanted, and just stick them
in a film box. A PITA to be sure, but possible.

It's just such a nice camera; it *wants* to expose film ...

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet
Old November 19th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 11/19/2009 7:43 AM Grimly Curmudgeon spake thus:

drugs began to take hold. I remember David Nebenzahl
saying something like:

of Ica Favorit

So I'm ready to shoot--one sheet at a time. I suppose if I took
along my changing bag I could take as many shots as I wanted, and
just stick them in a film box. A PITA to be sure, but possible.

It's just such a nice camera; it *wants* to expose film ...

I know what you mean; I had a mad flurry of 9x12 acquisition and ended
up with three of them - two Weltas and an Ihagee.

Lessee; I've got a Soviet Fotokor (my 1st folding plate cam, kind of a
POS but a nice historical artifact); a Voigtlander Avus, 2 Maximars, a
Donata made into a wide-angle camera with a 105mm lens, some unknown
German folder with a 75mm lens (failed experiment), and the Favorit.

When it became obvious I wasn't going to get film holders and inserts
easily, I jury-rigged a Graflex back that fits all three, with
satisfying results. Of course, as soon as I had that working, Sod's
Law dictated that a lucky streak of ebaying saw me stumble upon
plenty of film backs and a total of nine inserts to fit all three
cameras.

Yes; I got all my holders and inserts on eBay, several years back, and
they still seem to be fairly plentiful.

Now all I need is some 9x12 film -
http://www.lumiere-shop.de/index.php/cat/c55_Films.html beckons

Gack: that really does seem to be the only place to get it. Went through
all my old film bookmarks. J&C is gone; several places have old sizes of
roll film but not sheet film (Film for Classics, Central Camera). So are
there not any other suppliers out there? I thought I had seen a page
offering 9x12 film for sale as late as a couple of months ago.

*Aha!* Digitaltruth seems to still sell it:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/ca...p-1-c-211.html
(Efke PL100)

Old November 19th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 11/19/2009 11:10 AM me spake thus:

*Aha!* Digitaltruth seems to still sell it:
http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/ca...p-1-c-211.html
(Efke PL100)

Freestyle has the same stuff, same price:
http://www.freestylephoto.biz/c404-B...a-Large-Format
(select 9x12 in the "size" box for easy find)

Old November 19th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 11/19/2009 11:10 AM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

Lessee; I've got a Soviet Fotokor (my 1st folding plate cam, kind of a
POS but a nice historical artifact); a Voigtlander Avus, 2 Maximars, a
Donata made into a wide-angle camera with a 105mm lens, some unknown
German folder with a 75mm lens (failed experiment), and the Favorit.

Forgot to list my Patent Etui (have both 9x12 and 6x9 sizes). I'd *love*
to find some film holders for it, but those seem to be even harder to
find than ones for the Favorit.