Club for Hobby Photography

Old May 20th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Hossam

Default Club for Hobby Photography

Hello, I think we got the same hobbiest "Taking Photo" so you can see
my work

http://kodakchallenge.110mb.com/foru...hp?topic=494.0

and the rest are here

http://h1.ripway.com/h2saad/Egypt%20Cairo/

if you would like to join my Club that will be my pleasure

http://kodakchallenge.110mb.com/foru...ction=register

Greetings,
Hossam Saad
The www.PhotoClub.uni.cc Team.

Old May 23rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

Default Ries Model B Tripod Info

I recently aquired a Ries Deluxe Model B tripod. This
model is no longer made. I e-mailed Ries but they could tell
me nothing other than they think it was made in the 1950's.
Does anyone here have one or have any literature about it?

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old May 23rd 07, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Richard Knoppow

"Ken Hart" wrote in message

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in
message
link.net...
I recently aquired a Ries Deluxe Model B tripod. This
model is no longer made. I e-mailed Ries but they could
tell me nothing other than they think it was made in the
1950's. Does anyone here have one or have any literature
about it?

--
---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Since their website states that the company was based on
the need for a sturdy tripod on the movie set for still
photos ("The Ries Legacy", second paragraph), perhaps you
might have better luck checking into the various movie
still photographers of that era. "Couple months ago, there
was a thread (in which you participated) regarding a large
format neg purchased on eBay of a 40's-50's movie actress,
and how to best clean a stain from the negative. The
photographer was a famous movie still shooter, but I
cannot remember his name. (I checked a biography of Joan
Cranwford book I have, but photo credits were not
listed).What are the odds he may have used a Ries Model B?

In light of the valuable information you have freely given
others, I respectfully assure you that if I had ANY info
on this tripod, it would be on it's way to you in the
fastest way possible!

I read the blurb on the Ries web site. I think while
they catered to movie still men there were a lot of tripods
sold to others. In particular there are pictures of both
Edward Weston and Ansel Adams using Ries tripods. I suspect
the A model was their largest, it still is. The B was
probably somewhat smaller or lighter. Mine is lighter than
the current A but heavier than the current J series, it is
the same length both minimum and maximum as the A and has
the 6 inch top plate of the A, but its about 2/3ds the
weight. I remember seeing the B model on some very old Ries
literature, probably advertising somewhere, but I don't have
it and can't remember where I saw it. The tripod is very
simple to operate. I had to repair a crack in one of the
legs and it was very dirty but otherwise in good condition.
I bought it at a clearance sale at a local surplus store
along with some other stuff for $20. I'm sure this is a dead
bargain even if the thing is many decades old.
I suspect that Ries, like many other old companies, no
longer has a "corporate memory". After all, old literature
and business records cost money to store and are usually
seen as having no value in generating revenue.

--
---
Richard Knoppow