Adobe must be hurting for money

Old November 18th 11, 09:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

Default Adobe must be hurting for money

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
I think this cloud thing is scaring a lot of software companies, believing
perhaps that (rightly) people wouldn't pay anywhere near as much for being
in a "cloud" as having physical software on their system.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ive-cloud-and-
adobe-creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html?PID=2159997

For customers who prefer to remain on the current licensing model, we will
continue to offer our individual point products and Adobe Creative Suite
editions as perpetual licenses. With regards to upgrades, we are changing
our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for
upgrade pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest
version of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers
are not yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through
December 31, 2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we
release CS6.

I wish they'd put Bridge out as a separate product.

They do. It is actually "Super Bridge" and it is called Lightroom.

I use Bridge for keywording, not editing.

Old November 18th 11, 10:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

....nobody has claimed that Bridge is used for editing.

Savageduck

Old November 18th 11, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"PeterN" wrote in message

I don't see the relationship of the title to the facts presented.

Actually, it is one of his better posts.

He's telling us that Adobe is changing its upgrade policy, and giving
advance notice, together with some upgrade discount. that's good.
What's not good is the concessionary title. The title is based upon a
totally unfounded statement.

--
Peter

Peter, as I said "It is one of his better posts." Most are worse. Rich
uses the same "sensational/inflammatory/alarmist/shame-on-you" techniques
used by many modern journalists. Maybe he is one? He certainly knows how
to create subject lines that suck the rest of us in. If nothing else, he is
a sly and crafty troll.

Old November 18th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

But doesn't Lightroom do photo editing? It's many years since I
downloaded a trial of Lightroom.

Old November 18th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

Exactly.
Lightroom is Bridge with a pretty UI and editing ability. Lightroom is
also used to seamlessly make non-destructive adjustments to RAW files
converted to DNG. It can also make non-destructive adjustments and
edits to JPEGS or by adding edit instructions to "Virtual copies"
thereby retaining an unmolested original or a particular version of an
adjusted/edited image file. Lightroom can be rightly described as
Bridge on steroids.

Bridge is only available as a component of Photoshop, therefore it has
no need to be able to do any editing. It uses ACR if the files to be
worked on are in a RAW format and all editing is done in Photoshop.

Savageduck

Old November 19th 11, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/18/2011 5:23 PM, Charles wrote:

"PeterN" wrote in message

I don't see the relationship of the title to the facts presented.

Actually, it is one of his better posts.

He's telling us that Adobe is changing its upgrade policy, and giving
advance notice, together with some upgrade discount. that's good.
What's not good is the concessionary title. The title is based upon a
totally unfounded statement.

Sly, yes. Crafty No.
I suspect malicious, though

--
Peter
Old November 19th 11, 01:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

Doesn't Lightroom store the data in a database and you have to export
the files if you want to move them around? I think that was what
turned me off the product.

I use ViewNX to copy files from cards to computer adding the major tags
as it does so. If the files are to get GPS info, then I import the
track log into ViewNX. I use CNX to edit raw files and output JPG. I
then use Bridge to add appropriate tags to the JPG files and I use a
Photoshop vbs script to resize and frame the photos. I use a program I
wrote to upload to Flickr. I rarely use Photoshop GUI for my photos,
but I do use it for work images as I am a developer of inhouse web
sites.

Like many I had planned to use the leapfrog method to update Photoshop.

Like many Australians who use legitimate Adobe products, I'm appalled
by the pricing policy. PS CS5 upgrade in the US is $199, in Aus it's
$306.

Old November 19th 11, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

Just slightly different methodology. If you want to see something truly
disturbing you should see what Apple does to those folks who stick with
iPhoto.

Lightroom maintains what might be termed a tracking data base. However
you have a high degree of flexibility as to where on your HD you store
the files and where and how they are imported into Lightroom.
The first thing to be aware of is all the work you do in Lightroom is
done in a virtual world, so to take that virtual copy you have worked
on and finished into the real world you have to export it. This can be
your final output to full size jpeg, or it could be an export to
another external editor such as one of the HDR processors, or export
for e-mail.
....or even export to DNG.

If you are working in nothing but JPEG in Lightroom you should remember
that the adjustments you make in Lightroom are non-destructive and
reversible up to the point you export a finished file.
Also if you choose to take the adjusted RAW/DNG image file from
Lightroom into Photoshop, it will open in Photoshop as if you had made
similar RAW adjustments in ACR.

It is actually a very flexible system. it is just a matter of
developing a work flow you are comfortable with.

I use ViewNX to copy files from cards to computer adding the major tags
as it does so. If the files are to get GPS info, then I import the
track log into ViewNX. I use CNX to edit raw files and output JPG. I
then use Bridge to add appropriate tags to the JPG files and I use a
Photoshop vbs script to resize and frame the photos. I use a program I
wrote to upload to Flickr. I rarely use Photoshop GUI for my photos,
but I do use it for work images as I am a developer of inhouse web
sites.

All the tags you add in Bridge can also be added in Lightroom.

....and all of that is still achievable with Lightroom, however as I
have said earlier, I have pretty much left Lightroom out of my CS5 work
flow since the CS5 implementation of Bridge is a very different animal
when compared to the previous offerings.

I might choose to return to Lightroom if Adobe makes further Photoshop
upgrades for a retired hobbyist unreasonably economically burdonsome.

Like many I had planned to use the leapfrog method to update Photoshop.

Like many Australians who use legitimate Adobe products, I'm appalled
by the pricing policy. PS CS5 upgrade in the US is $199, in Aus it's
$306.

That is ridiculous since the Aus $ is basically on a par with the US$
right now. It is almost worth while to have some wandering Aussie
passing through the US to pick up an upgrade for you in their travels.
It might even be worth while to have a US vendor mail it to you.

Savageduck

Old November 19th 11, 08:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 2011-11-18 17:22:35 -0800, N said:

Like many Australians who use legitimate Adobe products, I'm appalled by
the pricing policy. PS CS5 upgrade in the US is $199, in Aus it's $306.

That is ridiculous since the Aus $ is basically on a par with the US$ right
now. It is almost worth while to have some wandering Aussie passing through
the US to pick up an upgrade for you in their travels. It might even be worth
while to have a US vendor mail it to you.

Yes, it is ridiculous and when I looked a few minutes later this
morning it showed $336, which it had shown before it showed $306. The
price section of that page is dynamic and it may have misinterpreted my
IP address for some quirky reason.

Lots of hardware vendors have adjusted their prices but the software
vendors haven't.

Old November 27th 11, 09:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nick c[_5_]

Bruce wrote:
nick c wrote:
I used to upgrade Photoshop when a new one was released but now I don't
do that anymore. I stopped upgrading when I bought CS3, which suites me
fine.

It will probably suit you fine until you buy a new camera which needs
an upgrade to Adobe Camera Raw. Then you will find that the latest
version of Adobe Camera Raw won't work with CS3.

I heed what you say, Bruce. In my case, I don't see a new camera on the
foreseeable horizon of my photographic needs (or wants). Should Adobe
turn push into shove, I can (and will) do well enough without Adobe.

I'm cultivating a growing interest in Nikon's Capture NX2 program.
Capture NX2 is a very good program and I think it cost less than an
Adobe upgrade. Adobe Photoshop is very good too; hell ..... I might even
say it's great but not being a pro, I can't see myself being an Adobe
captive.

Of course you will still be able to use the RAW converter that came
with the camera.