Adobe must be hurting for money

Old November 16th 11, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Rich[_6_]

Default Adobe must be hurting for money

I think this cloud thing is scaring a lot of software companies, believing
perhaps that (rightly) people wouldn't pay anywhere near as much for being
in a "cloud" as having physical software on their system.

http://blogs.adobe.com/conversations...ive-cloud-and-
adobe-creative-suite-new-choices-for-customers.html?PID=2159997

For customers who prefer to remain on the current licensing model, we will
continue to offer our individual point products and Adobe Creative Suite
editions as perpetual licenses. With regards to upgrades, we are changing
our policy for perpetual license customers. In order to qualify for upgrade
pricing when CS6 releases, customers will need to be on the latest version
of our software (either CS5 or CS5.5 editions). If our customers are not
yet on those versions, we’re offering a 20% discount through December 31,
2011 which will qualify them for upgrade pricing when we release CS6.
Old November 16th 11, 11:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Charles[_2_]

"Rich" wrote in message

[...]

http://performance.morningstar.com/s...ion=USA&t=ADBE

They seem to be managing the ugly dip around 2008.

I fell behind with Photoshop updates and was sad to see that it would cost
me a LOT to catch up.

As an individual who uses Photoshop only occasionally to actually earn
money, I have to be careful as to how much I spend on updates. Adobe has
missed out on some revenue from folks like me. The software is great but
their consumer base is multi-tiered. I would never go for Creative Suite,
as it is more than I could ever use.

Yeah, I know, use "Essentials" but that is not an answer for a serious
amateur photograher who also, once in a while, does something at the
professional level.

I probably will never buy into cloud software for something like Photoshop.
For other apps, maybe.

Old November 17th 11, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/16/2011 6:15 PM, Charles wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message

[...]

I don't see the relationship of the title to the facts presented.

--
Peter
Old November 17th 11, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
N[_9_]

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

I wish they'd put Bridge out as a separate product.

Old November 17th 11, 02:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

They do. It is actually "Super Bridge" and it is called Lightroom.

Savageduck

Old November 17th 11, 03:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

Don't agree. One can do their entire editing flow within Lightroom
without a separate photo editor. It does 99% of what photographers need
to edit and present or print a photo as a photo.

Bridge needs a photo editor (any photo editor will do).

I agree that Bridge would be a fine standalone product using other
editors such as Elements (which has its own "minor Bridge"), The Gimp,
and so on.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

Old November 17th 11, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

LIghtroom is Bridge on steroids. There is little you can do in
Lightroom that you can't do in Bridge and ACR, except possibly soft
proofing.

--
Peter
Old November 17th 11, 04:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 2011-11-17 00:09:45 -0800, N said:

On 16/11/2011, Rich wrote:
[...]

See above. You can do a lot of editing in ACR, it just is a tad more kludgy.

--
Peter
Old November 17th 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

http://performance.morningstar.com/s...turn.action?re...

[...]

Maybe you could jump from other versions to CS 6 on their previous
pricing scheme by just paying an upgrade fee? Now, you need to be on
CS 5 to do that. Otherwise, you'll pay the full price for CS 6 if you
move from a version below CS 5. That's what it looks like.

I read very well. Exactly how do that lead you to the conclusion that
Adobe is hurting for money?

--
Peter
Old November 17th 11, 04:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 11/17/2011 8:59 AM, Bruce wrote:
wrote:

Maybe you could jump from other versions to CS 6 on their previous
pricing scheme by just paying an upgrade fee? Now, you need to be on
CS 5 to do that. Otherwise, you'll pay the full price for CS 6 if you
move from a version below CS 5. That's what it looks like.

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like. You used to be able to buy
the same upgrade from two or three versions earlier, but now it will
only be from the immediately previous version. A first time user
could buy the current version more cheaply by buying an earlier
version at a discounted price then buying the upgrade.

Excellent choice of subject line. ;-)

I would have bet YOU would say that. When a company is hurting for
money, they don't make it financially more difficult to upgrade. They
seek wider distribution at lower prices.

--
Peter