taking wedding pic, help

Old August 20th 04, 08:43 AM
zeitgeist

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,

wedding photography isn't brain surgery.

there has been plenty posted on the what and how of wedding photography,
read back on google.groups

one thing I recommend is that you shoot a engagement portrait. This is like
a dress rehearsal. They get a preview of what they could expect from you,
and more importantly, they get a clue about what they need to do on their
part of the image making. This really gives you a lot of help on the
wedding day.

I recommend a tripod for the formal shots, you can use a slow shutter speed
and pick up detail in the background, this makes the images look so much
better and the added exposure to the background makes it much easier for the
lab to print. Bright white dresses against a really black background is
very hard to for both the camera's and the lab's auto exposure routines.

film is film, what kind of paper does it get printed on, what paper does
your lab run?

filters? are you shooting color neg? then forget filters

Old August 20th 04, 02:06 PM
Randall Ainsworth

In article hYhVc.42641$mD.5205@attbi_s02, zeitgeist
wrote:

wedding photography isn't brain surgery.

No, but it needs to be done by a competant individual.
Old August 20th 04, 02:06 PM
Randall Ainsworth

Old August 20th 04, 02:06 PM
Randall Ainsworth

Old August 20th 04, 02:17 PM
Gregory Blank

I second that thought. However nothing says that Marissa
can't be or become that person.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Old August 21st 04, 03:41 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Gregory Blank wrote:

I second that thought. However nothing says that Marissa
can't be or become that person.

True, but that's not the way to start in the business.
Old August 21st 04, 07:40 AM
Tom (2)

On 18 Aug 2004 11:41:28 -0700, (Marisa) wrote:

Hello,

I'm going to take wedding pictures in a few months and I've only done
two other really small weddings. I'm lookin for any advice as to how
to best use my equipment, what type of film, filters, etc..and any
techniques/advice you can give me for taking wedding pictures- indoor
and outdoor. I will be using a Nikon N80 SLR camera and have a Nikon
lens 28-80mm as well as a Quantaray lens 100-300mm. I also have a
promaster FTD 7000M flash, which I'm not too familiar with. Any
suggestions for the best results would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,

Marisa

Just a few thoughts...

Get a book and learn what the "required shots" are, then sit down with
the bride and make a list of all the shots she wants (or have her make
the list, then sit down and go over it). This will help you to know
what her expectations are. It reduces last minute surprises and
failing to meet expectations.

Find out if the minister has rules for the wedding photographer. Some
are very strict about when you need to have your equipment out of the
ceremony area. Some restrict shooting during the wedding, etc.

Get the timetable. When are you shooting the group shots? When will
they be there? When are you going to get the bride and groom shots,
before or after the ceremony? Hmm!

Use a tripod. Be prepared for others (during the group shots) to want
to click away with their digital cameras. Be prepared to instruct
people as to where to stand and where to put their hands, etc.
(especially the bride).

You need to know what your flash will do. This is a bad time to test
your equipment!

Take more film than you think you will need. Take extra batteries.

You would have been much better off with a couple of monolights on
stands with umbrellas rather than an on camera flash. Much better.

In the group shots, take 2 shots each, or you get a lot of pictures
with eyes closed, or someone not paying attention.

I like to use Fuji Reala (for everything that is flash assisted) and
NPZ 800 (for everything that is existing light). (But I use 2
cameras) This film choice is more forgiving of mixed light which,
thanks to stained glass windows and/or florescent lights, can be
beyond your control.

Think about a secure place for your camera gear while you are roaming
about.

Don't experiment with any new technique or equipment.

Use manual focus and focus on the eyes. When people are standing in
rows make sure you are using an aperture that will capture all rows of
people in focus.

Are you planning to give them the film to be processed? Or are you
processing it yourself and they pay you? Who owns the negs? Are they
intending to blow any up to 8x10? If so you'll have to frame the
otherwise 8x12 format so it can be cut down to 8x10.

Plan as much as you can. What ever you forget will likely cause you a
problem. The bride is probably the boss but asking her what to do the
day of the wedding should be minimized. She will be on overload.

Maintain control. There may likely be someone there looking for a
chance to direct you. Show no fear!

Wear comfortable shoes.

Have a stiff drink waiting for you when you get home.

Tom