Difficult subject

Old July 31st 04, 10:55 PM
Petros

Default Difficult subject

Hi all!

This is my first time here, and I'm printing out articles like crazy,
because there is a lot of helpful advice to be had. Thanks!

My question has to do with a wedding that I'll be shooting for a friend
of mine next weekend. I did some test shots with the couple today, and
found out that the groom has a reaction to the shutter that makes him
close his eyes when he hears it, even if the flash is turned off. Does
anybody have any advice for what I can do to minimalize his reaction?
I'd hate for all the shots of the "happy couple" to be with his eyes
closed.

Thanks.

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos
Old August 1st 04, 12:23 AM
Francis A. Miniter

You are not using a 35 mm camera, are you? If you are THE
wedding photographer, 35 mm is not the right format. If you
are using a medium format camera, shutter (actually, mirror
slap) noise is only a problem with single lens reflex types.
Traditional twin-lens reflex cameras are very quiet.

Format issues aside (though they will intrude again when it
comes to final quality of the images), for most of the
pictures, there should be a lot of background noise. But
for those quiet moments - such a during the vows [I can hear
it now - "Do you John take Mary" and "slam, click, whirr" in
the background] or posed pictures, the noise of the mirror
slap will be a problem. Try posing the groom so he is
looking at the bride. Distraction helps.

Adequate lighting helps, as he will not have time on a 1/250
second shot to close his eyes, but he will if you have too
little light and have to shot at 1/30 second. Fast lenses
help this particular problem in a similar way to good
lighting, but fast lenses cannot provide even lighting
across the scene.

By the way, what are you doing for lighting? And will you
have an assistant to move, place and hold the lighting and
to change film in the spare camera body? Do you have a
spare camera body?

Francis A. Miniter

Old August 1st 04, 05:23 AM
Randall Ainsworth

Welcome to the jungle...
Old August 1st 04, 07:49 PM
Petros

Well... I'll be using two cameras. One is a duck Sigma SD9 and the
other is a duck again 35mm slr. The Sigma is mine, the 35mm belongs
to the bride. I'm not doing this for money, but as a favor to the
bride. As for medium format, the costs are too high here in Poland for
such luxuries I don't do photography professionally, rather as a
hobby, and the bride just happens to like my work. I do thank you for
your advice, since this is one job I'd rather not screw up.

Petros

Francis A. Miniter posted:

Old August 1st 04, 07:51 PM
Petros

Lions and tigers and bears... Oh NO!

Thanks g

Randall Ainsworth posted:
Welcome to the jungle...

--
Petros
Ap' ola prin ipirche o Logos
Old August 1st 04, 07:51 PM
Petros

Old August 1st 04, 10:59 PM
Mike B.

If he is reacting to the sound of the sutter and THEN is closing his eyes they
you will be ok. figure the time for the sound to travel from the cam, and his
reaction time his eyes will be open.

Old August 1st 04, 10:59 PM
Mike B.

BULL PUCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!