First images with my infrared converted 350D

Old November 28th 06, 10:27 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

Default First images with my infrared converted 350D

Mr.T wrote:
"Bob Milutinovic" wrote in message
Should make for some interesting midsummer shooting of female subjects ;-)

Hey, don't laugh; I know that's the first thing you all thought about!

Expensive way to find out if a girl has had a "Brazilian" or not IMO :-)

MrT.

LOLOLOLOL agreed.

I actually had other plans for my 350D convert.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old November 28th 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Dave

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:07:05 -0800, somehow managed
to impart:

[snip]
If you just use an IR-pass filter with the internal IR-blocking filter
still in place, you'll see a light loss of anywhere from 6 to 15 EV
depending on how strong the internal IR-blocking filter is. There are
good exposure comparisons for a wide range of cameras at
http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index...mparisons.html

Thanks for that link. I was particularly interested in the results
with the Pentax *ist. Four of my best shots taken with my Pentax *ist
DL with a Hoya R72 filter are he

http://www.henniker.org.uk/html/arthurs_Seat.htm#IR.
The link should take you to the 4 thumbnails at the bottom of a long
page. These are all of Arthur's Seat, the extinct volcano in the
centre of Edinburgh. Exposure for the first picture was f5.6 at 1/20th
of a second at ISO400.

There's more of The Meadows, a city centre Edinburgh park he
http://www.henniker.org.uk/html/bruntMM_IR.htm.

Because absolutely nothing is visible through the Pentax *ist Dl's
viewfinder with the R72 filter attached to the lens, I used a tripod
and composed the shot without the filter, before attaching it and
using cable release on automatic exposure in Program mode. I probably
told the camera to bracket exposures over and under by a full stop.

The red images were converted to grey scale before using the
auto-contrast and unsharp mask filters. The exif info is still
embedded in the .jpg files. Gonna try raw format next time I do
infrared...

BTW, I didn't say our volcano hadn't been eroded by time and geology!
;o)

The IR pictures are 1280 pixels wide and can be saved with a
right-click, free for non-commercial private use only.

Dave.
http://www.henniker.org.uk 3000 photos especially
Edinburgh & Scotland. + 3D rendered art, old ads etc.
Délété david for email; watch the spam filters.
Old November 28th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

Nice images.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old November 28th 06, 10:50 PM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
David Ruether

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message ...

I received my 350D back which was being converted to IR only shooting by LDP. My first shots with it are up at:
http://experimentaldigitalphotography.com/2006/11/27/first-light-with-my-350d-converted-to-ir-only/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yec2sf

Interesting images (I am curious why you chose such wide
stops with high shutter speeds, though...). BTW, Sony
removed a valuable feature from their later Mini-DV
cameras that offered "night shot" in the priggish belief
that people could use it as an "X-Ray" feature to see
through clothes. As a result, we can no longer shoot the
beautiful daylight IR in video that had been possible (see
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/ir.htm for some sample
frame-grabs from the early Sony TRV-9). With many
camcorders the IR blocking filter can still be switched
out for IR "night vision" (using IR light sources), but
current Sony camcorders unfortunately force
overexposure in daylight.
--
David Ruether

http://www.ferrario.com/ruether

Old November 29th 06, 12:53 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Annika1980

Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

Mine was done by LDP (www.maxmax.com)
The 350D conversion is US$450 + return shipping. Turn around time is
very fast.

For those interested another company that does this is LifePixel.
http://www.lifepixel.com/

I've been seriously considering having my Totally Digital D60
converted.
I guess it would be the Totally Digital Infrared D60 then. Doesn't
exactly roll off the tongue, does it?

Old November 29th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Bill Funk

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:50:13 GMT, "David Ruether"
wrote:

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote in message ...

I received my 350D back which was being converted to IR only shooting by LDP. My first shots with it are up at:
http://experimentaldigitalphotography.com/2006/11/27/first-light-with-my-350d-converted-to-ir-only/
or
http://tinyurl.com/yec2sf

Interesting images (I am curious why you chose such wide
stops with high shutter speeds, though...). BTW, Sony
removed a valuable feature from their later Mini-DV
cameras that offered "night shot" in the priggish belief
that people could use it as an "X-Ray" feature to see
through clothes.

Not that people "could", but "did". Then they posted images & videos
on the internet.
As a result, we can no longer shoot the
beautiful daylight IR in video that had been possible (see
http://www.ferrario.com/ruether/ir.htm for some sample
frame-grabs from the early Sony TRV-9). With many
camcorders the IR blocking filter can still be switched
out for IR "night vision" (using IR light sources), but
current Sony camcorders unfortunately force
overexposure in daylight.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old November 29th 06, 09:20 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

David Ruether wrote:

Interesting images (I am curious why you chose such wide
stops with high shutter speeds, though...).

I used a wide aperture on those images because the info sheet that came
back with the camera suggested a wider aperture would produce the
sharpest result because of diffraction effects as the aperture got smaller.

To test this I went out and shot with a Canon 50mm f1.8 and a Canon
100mm f2.8 macro at the full range of apertures to determine with
apertures gave the sharpest results:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=790

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall
Old November 29th 06, 10:04 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
David J. Littleboy

"Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
David Ruether wrote:

Interesting images (I am curious why you chose such wide
stops with high shutter speeds, though...).

I used a wide aperture on those images because the info sheet that came
back with the camera suggested a wider aperture would produce the sharpest
result because of diffraction effects as the aperture got smaller.

Maybe. IR wavelengths are longer, and diffraction might bite you sooner (as
you stop down).

To test this I went out and shot with a Canon 50mm f1.8 and a Canon 100mm
f2.8 macro at the full range of apertures to determine with apertures gave
the sharpest results:
http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=790

Good test. Thanks for putting it up. Both f/5.6 and f/8 look pretty good to
me for both lenses. Even f/11 seems usable.

Are you using the IR focusing marks on your lenses? Interestingly, most of
the lenses here do have IR focusing marks. (All of the 17-40, 24TSE, 50/1.4
and 100/2.0 have an IR focusing indicator.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old November 29th 06, 10:54 AM posted to alt.photography,aus.photo,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.technique.art
Wayne J. Cosshall

David J. Littleboy wrote:

Are you using the IR focusing marks on your lenses? Interestingly, most of
the lenses here do have IR focusing marks. (All of the 17-40, 24TSE, 50/1.4
and 100/2.0 have an IR focusing indicator.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Hi David,

No, I use autofocus, which the 350D does quite happily.

Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall