Project to reduce spam here

Old March 9th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default Project to reduce spam here

Regarding spam, I posted earlier that complaining to Google is futile in
trying to shut down spammers, since there is a threshold number of
complaints that must be submitted before Google will take such action.

I'm proposing that we might start a project here to see if we can raise
enough support within this group to submit enough complaints to see an
effect (i.e., see the spammers shut down). To that end, I'd like to take
a poll here to see how many people would be willing to do this--report
spam messages in this newsgroup to Google. Please reply to this thread.

My guess is that it would require at least 20 or so complaints about a
particular spammer before they (Google) seriously considered taking
action. I'm willing to be convinced that this number is actually higher
or lower; it's just my seat-of-the-pants guess.

So once we agree on what this threshold number might be, my suggestion
is that we target the spammers carefully. Instead of going after all of
them, pick one--say, the worst current one--and target that particular
one. Then we can see if our complaints had any effect.

Remember, this will only work if we can muster that minimum number of
people willing to complain. I'm ready to do so if enough of us "sign
up". So let's hear from y'all.

If someone wants to lead this effort, please speak up. I actually don't
want to be that leader ...

mostly pears.
Made With Pears: Pretty good chance that pears will be detectable in
the product.
Contains Pears: One pear seed per multiple tons of product.

(with apologies to Dorothy L. Sayers)
Old March 9th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lawrence Akutagawa

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

well, as I've already indicated, I am one of those who complain without fail
each and every time. I treat these as I do dandelions and other noxious
weeds - just have to keep after them before they take over the place. A
passive stance vis a vis spam, as with weeds, results in just more of the
same. So I go after all of them each and every time.

By the way...have you noticed that the cat furniture spam has not been
hereabouts lately?

Old March 9th 09, 05:27 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 3/8/2009 7:07 PM Peter spake thus:

I am willing to cooperate with such a project (subject to reasonable
expenditure of my time). I've become so frustrated after responding
rather intensively some months ago and not seeing much effect that I
stopped complaining. Perhaps whoever leads the effort should clarify
what the rest of us need to do.

I do not use a news reader; I just post on Google.

That raises an interesting point: if you read newsgroups through Google
Groups, do you have access to all the message headers? You really need
to send these along with your complaint.

Old March 9th 09, 06:36 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Michael[_6_]

On 2009-03-08 21:08:03 -0400, David Nebenzahl said:

[...]

I'm in on it.
--
Michael

Old March 9th 09, 07:28 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Claudio Bonavolta

David Nebenzahl wrote:
reporting spam

If help is needed, count me in ...

Claudio Bonavolta
http://www.bonavolta.ch
Old March 10th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Craig Schroeder

Count me in, too.

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:08:03 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Regarding spam, I posted earlier that complaining to Google is futile in
trying to shut down spammers, since there is a threshold number of
complaints that must be submitted before Google will take such action.

I'm proposing that we might start a project here to see if we can raise
enough support within this group to submit enough complaints to see an
effect (i.e., see the spammers shut down). To that end, I'd like to take
a poll here to see how many people would be willing to do this--report
spam messages in this newsgroup to Google. Please reply to this thread.

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com
Old March 11th 09, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 3/8/2009 5:08 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I'm proposing that we might start a project here to see if we can raise
enough support within this group to submit enough complaints to see an
effect (i.e., see the spammers shut down). To that end, I'd like to take
a poll here to see how many people would be willing to do this--report
spam messages in this newsgroup to Google. Please reply to this thread.

So far it looks like we have 8 people, including Richard K. who hasn't
responded but who already reports spammers to Google. Does anyone think
this is enough to get started, or should we wait for a few more to "sign
up"?

Old March 17th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
K W Hart

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

I've been reporting (spam) for some time. Either those reports finally
added up or your project has worked. I've not seen any more Chinese
dog beds or fake watches advertised for several days. No doubt they'll
be back, but at least for the present there is some peace.
Now, we need to figure out a way to get people back to film and
chemical photography.
--
Richard Knoppow

I have been getting back to film and chemical photography-- I've been
photographing dogs wearing fake watches while sleeping in Chinese dog beds!
Unfortunately, it's been difficult lately finding places to get the fake
watches and Chinese dog beds....
(Sorry, Richard, it's just my strange sense of humor!)

Old March 17th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 01:24:36 -0700 (PDT),
Richard Knoppow
wrote:

Now, we need to figure out a way to get people back to film and
chemical photography.
--
Richard Knoppow

March 17, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

A friend of mine switched to digital some
time ago, and just the other day was
remarking that darkroom paper prints looked
so much better than digital output, and there
was no getting around it. This after years of
making giant digital prints in his giant
Epson number so and so printer. He even asked
me if I'd like to have his printer! For free,
that is, just remove it from his place. The
inksets were only about eight hundred dollars
[C$] ...

So maybe film and chemical darkroom work will
work their magic all on their own.

regards,
--le

Old March 17th 09, 06:58 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:59:31 GMT, "K W Hart"
wrote:

I have been getting back to film and chemical photography-- I've been
photographing dogs wearing fake watches while sleeping in Chinese dog beds!
Unfortunately, it's been difficult lately finding places to get the fake
watches and Chinese dog beds....
(Sorry, Richard, it's just my strange sense of humor!)

March 17, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

This could be the solution. Use each spam as
a photo or illustration assignment. Mock them
to eath.

regards,
--le