Photography: Artist vs technician

Old June 24th 05, 10:19 PM

Look, dumbass, under "Inflected Form":

Main Entry: stupid
Pronunciation:*st(y)*p*d
Function:adjective
Inflected Form:-er/-est

Etymology:Middle French stupide, from Latin stupidus, from stup*re to
be benumbed, be astonished, be stupefied; akin to Greek typtein to
beat, strike * more at TYPE

1 a : slow of mind : UNIMAGINATIVE, OBTUSE, INSENSITIVE *came to regard
them as stupid, sensual, veritable children of Adam- V.L.Parrington*
*will defy the most phlegmatic and stupid spectator to behold it
without admiration- Tobias Smollett* *bellowed into his ear as if he
were deaf instead of stupid- Anthony Trollope* b : given to
unintelligent decisions or acts : UNTHINKING, IRRATIONAL *while he may
be wrong T he is never stupid- G.W.Johnson* *consider myself at least
stupid for not having profited from many opportunities- Emery Neff*
*reality is right under your stupid nose- Lionel Trilling* c :
lacking intelligence or reasoning power : BRUTISH *getting the better
of stupider beasts- G.A.Morgan*
2 a : dulled in feeling or sensation : being in a state of stupor :
TORPID *stupid with drink- Sherwood Anderson* *stupid with the lust
of gain and the sloth of slavery- Van Wyck Brooks* *let fall the
stupid inanimate limbs of the gone wretch- George Meredith* b :
incapable of feeling or sensation : INANIMATE *nothing is quite so
stupid as a fact- A.L.Gu*rard* *the stupid rain came down in
buckets- J.W.Ellison b.1929*
3 : marked by or resulting from dullness or unintelligent thinking :
SENSELESS *a stupid refusal to be realistic- W.F.Hambly* *appalling
capacity of collective man for stupid, blind, self-destructive
behavior- H.J.Muller* *takes everything seriously in a stupid and
unimaginative fashion- K.T.Bluth* *it is stupid to wait until a
probable enemy has gained a foothold from which to attack-
F.D.Roosevelt*
4 : lacking interest or point : DREARY, BORING *went to an awfully
stupid evening T Monday night- Rachel Henning* *would not have minded
his going to this stupid lunch- A.J.Cronin* *a really stupid
performance*
5 dialect England : OBSTINATE, MULISH
synonyms DULL, DENSE, CRASS, DUMB: STUPID applies to a sluggish,
slow-witted want of intelligence or comprehension, often congenital or
accustomed; it may apply to a senseless, benumbed, or dazed condition
*so stupid and so obstinate that it was impossible to get him to do or
understand anything- Anthony Trollope* *stupid with liquor and unable
to understand that the ambulance had already gone- Scott Fitzgerald*
*sleepy and stupid after a broken night and a hard day's work-
Dorothy Sayers* DULL strongly implies sluggish labored slowness of
mind, with utter lack of quickness, brightness, or liveliness *a dull,
ambitionless, vegetating individual- J.A.Brussel* *with its impotent
ruling classes and its dull and puritanical middle classes- Edward
Shils* DENSE applies to a blockheaded thick imperviousness or
insensitive obtuseness *she never offered to take me over the house,
though I gave her the broadest hints * she's very dense- Clive Arden*
CRASS suggests a fatheaded grossness precluding delicacy,
discrimination, or refinement *in deep disgust at the farrier's crass
incompetence to apprehend the conditions of ghostly phenomena- George
Eliot* *a crass bonehead capable of sneering at the progress of the
human race- Don Marquis* DUMB may apply to an imperceptive vexatious
obtuseness *that the nutmegs were easily sold and eagerly bought is
beside the story; the wonder is that we Southerners were so dumb, we
did not know the difference- Erskine Caldwell* *I guess I was pretty
dumb that morning, but a fellow in love never sees beyond his own
nose- Vicki Baum*

Neil Ellwood wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:08:28 -0700, uraniumcommittee wrote:

One and MANY two-syllable words are inflected by 'er', 'est',
especially when ending in 'y'.

Common, commoner, commonest...

Happy, happier, happiest...

Clever, cleverer, cleverest.

Stupid, stupider, stupidest...

Silly, sillier, silliest...

See:

http://www.edu.pe.ca/vrcs/studentwor...omparative.htm

This is of course another proof that you do not know what you are talking
about. The word you made up (stupider) does not come in the list and
couldn't as it doesn't exist. Look up the rules of grammar to see when to
use the others and with a bit of luck you might start talking sense which
would be a first.

--
neil
delete delete to reply

Old June 24th 05, 11:10 PM

blithers:

[...]

You are, easily, the stupidest troll on USENET today.

Now when I use the word 'stupidest', the incorrect usage is deliberate:
it is a parody of your own lack of cogent mentation, a representation
of the hard vacuum between your ears, a reference to the total absence
of a transitioning state machine anywhere within your corpus, an
amplification to the statement that your elevators do not go all the
way to the top floor -- that indeed they appear not to make it out of
the sub-basement. And so forth.

When I say unto you that you are stupider than a wood snail, again, the
improper usage of the form is -- to anyone with a measurable IQ -- an
exercise in satire. You are being ridiculed, not only for spewing
rhetorical diarrhea in astonishing quantities, void of _any_ value, but
because only a complete moron would (a) argue for the use of the word,
(b) actually use the word all the while being totally ignorant of how
the word is actually used.

You are, without any doubt, stupid. Beyond all possible repair,
defective by design (error can be ruled out).

I hereby quote the indefatigable Uncle Al, who said it best, in a way
that can not be improved upon. All rise please:

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid
is.
I mean rock-hard stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid.
Surface of Venus under 80 atmospheres of red hot carbon dioxide and
sulfuric acid vapor dehydrated for 300 million years rock-hard stupid.
Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a
whole different sensorium of stupid.
is
trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid so collapsed upon itself that
it is within its own Schwarzschild radius. Black hole stupid. Stupid
gotten so dense and massive that no intellect can escape. Singularity
stupid.
emits more stupid/second than our
entire galaxy otherwise emits stupid/year. Quasar stupid. Nothing
else in the universe can be this stupid.
is
an oozingly putrescent primordial fragment from the original Big Bang
of Stupid, a pure essence of stupid so uncontaminated by anything else
as to be beyond the laws of physics that define maximally extrapolated
hypergeometric n-dimensional backgroundless stupid as we can imagine
it.
is Planck stupid, a quantum foam of
stupid, a vacuum decay of stupid, a grand unified theory of stupid.

is the epiphany of stupid.

is stooopid.

Old June 25th 05, 05:34 AM
Skip M

wrote in message
oups.com...
One and MANY two-syllable words are inflected by 'er', 'est',
especially when ending in 'y'.

Common, commoner, commonest...

Happy, happier, happiest...

Clever, cleverer, cleverest.

Stupid, stupider, stupidest...

Silly, sillier, silliest...

See:

http://www.edu.pe.ca/vrcs/studentwor...omparative.htm

To quote from the very link you posted:
"You can form most comparisons by adding either -er or -est or by using more
or most with it. For one-syllable words, add -er or -est; others require
more or most or less ore least. For three-syllable or longer words, use
more/most or less/least."
Thanks for finding tht for me, I couldn't find. And thank you for making my
point about "stupider" for me, too...

Main Entry: stupid
Function:adjective
Inflected Form:-er/-est

Interesting. I was always taught that not to use the inflection on words
of
more than one syllable, and I still feel, despite the evidence, that in
this
case particularly, "more stupid" sounds less stupid than "stupider."
BTW,
thanks so much for your erudite little email of yesterday, I feel so much
more complete now. Sheesh, what's the matter, Mikey, not getting enough?

How dare you criticize my knowledge of English, and when confronted
with authoritative support, refuse to acknowledge it?

Pig!

What the heck do you thing the above was??? Have you completely lost your
ability to read??? But the link you posted refutes what you said, anyway,
so the point is moot.

Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old June 25th 05, 09:46 PM

Almost ALL one-sylallable words and most two-syllable words form the
comparative and superlative by inflection.

Skip M wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You're even stupider than it is possible for a human being to be.
You're now approaching slug-stupidity.