wedding pictures

Old April 14th 05, 11:29 PM

Easiest way to make a soft focus filter is to take a skylight or UV filter
(I buy ones with dented front rings for this-never paid over $2 for one) and
spray they with hairspray. If you don't get the effect you want-ie too soft
or not soft enough,just soak it in rubbing alcohol for about 2 minutes and
the hairspray washes off and you can try again.
As to film,oddly enough,my best results have been on Fuji's 200 speed
Superia film...seems there's a UV absorbing layer that pretty much stops the
problem of wedding dresses turning a very pale shade of blue.
On lenses.....buy,beg,borrow or steal a 28-80 or something in that range.
That one lens will do 90% of the pictures you'll do at a wedding. If you can
find one,the Tamron 28-80 SP is a great lens for wedding work.

"sarah amaton via PhotoKB.com" wrote in message
. ..
hello,

My friend is getting married in a couple of weeks and she can't afford a
photographer, so I want to take some pictures of just the bride and groom
and maybe the brial party.Now I know this could be all wrong since the
wedding is so special and my pictures might not be all that,but she knows
I'm not professional and she is not paying me it's just something I would
like to do for her.

Anyways,getting the point. I have an olympus slr om-1 with a 49mm
skylight(1b) filter.My friend's wedding is at a golf course and the
pictures will be outdoor and partly shaded.I would also like to take some
pictures that look soft and alittle fuzzy. Does anyone have any
suggestions
on what kind of film and filters to use.

Thanks lots,
sarah

Old April 19th 05, 06:07 AM
zeitgeist

Easiest way to make a soft focus filter is to take a skylight or UV filter
(I buy ones with dented front rings for this-never paid over $2 for one)

and
spray they with hairspray. If you don't get the effect you want-ie too

soft
or not soft enough,just soak it in rubbing alcohol for about 2 minutes and
the hairspray washes off and you can try again.

as one who went through the whole "buy top quality tack sharp lenses for my
medium format gear only to do many things to soften it" routine, hair spray
is one of those things that mushes up the focus which is not the same thing
as softening it.

GOOD soft focus retains a sharp image. Good soft focus looks better as you
enlarge it. Mushy focus looks ok rather small but falls apart when
enlarged.

The best cheap soft focus is two layers of cheap nylon netting, (not
expensive hosiery, the good stuff adds to much warmth to the image.) Black
netting will absorb some light rays on a seemingly random pattern (if tight
enough and that's why you want to use two layers at least) and diffract
light passing close to the edges of each thread, that's what makes the image
partly soft. White netting works similarly but seems to do more with the
highlights and lowers contrast more.

one trick I heard about but never tried was to take a cheap UV filter and
apply tiny dots of clear glue in a random pattern.

I eventually used Harrison Black dots (Which actually looked like someone
spit chewing tobacco between two sheets of glass) and then invested in a
real soft focus lens which I consider one of my better investments in image
gadgetry.

Old April 22nd 05, 02:02 AM
Craig Flory

One thing I'd like to add. I no longer ever add soft focus over the lens
anymore. Once you add it you can never remove it. So I create images as
sharp as possible. Then I add soft focus in Adobe Photoshop I can control
how much and where it falls.I also never do double exposures anymore in the
camera. I do it in Photoshop by combining images with a layer mask. As a
professional photographer I want total control and I didn't get that doing
soft focus and double exposures in camera.

Craig Flory