D7000 and a 40Mz3i.

Old April 9th 12, 03:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Default D7000 and a 40Mz3i.

On 2012-04-08 17:47:46 -0700, Robert Coe said:

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:11:41 -0400, nospam wrote:
: In article , Robert Coe
: wrote:
:
: : The LCD provides universal benefits except "by the book" lighting
: : ratios - for that nothing beats an incident meter.
:
: By Jove, "incident meter". There's a term out of the past.
:
: no it isn't.
:
: Does anyone still use such?
:
: definitely. how else can you get certain lighting ratios?
:
: I can't remember the last time I heard the idea proposed. But as I
: sit here trying to come up with a plausible white balance for the
: pictures I took in our City art gallery the other day, the device has
: a visceral appeal. Who makes incident meters these days? Which ones
: are any good? Do they really work? With the weird lighting mixtures
: we see these days, does "color temperature" have much residual
meaning?
: Enquiring minds want to know!
:
: incident light meters have nothing to do with white balance, unless you
: have one that is designed to measure ambient colour temperature (a few
: do but not many).

And it appears that the few that do are really expensive. I can't see
paying
$1000+ for a device I don't yet know how to use. I suppose I could put
it on
my wish list at work; then if I don't get around to learning to use it
effectively, maybe my successor will. Realistically, though, I'll
probably
just take the advice someone else offered and get a good gray card. :^|

Bob

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html

Incredibly expensive - at any price.

As is their other kit:

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/lensalign.html

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 9th 12, 04:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Robert Coe
wrote:

: I can't remember the last time I heard the idea proposed. But as I
: sit here trying to come up with a plausible white balance for the
: pictures I took in our City art gallery the other day, the device has
: a visceral appeal. Who makes incident meters these days? Which ones
: are any good? Do they really work? With the weird lighting mixtures
: we see these days, does "color temperature" have much residual meaning?
: Enquiring minds want to know!
:
: incident light meters have nothing to do with white balance, unless you
: have one that is designed to measure ambient colour temperature (a few
: do but not many).

And it appears that the few that do are really expensive. I can't see paying
$1000+ for a device I don't yet know how to use.

you don't need an colour temperature meter unless you are doing some
very specialized work.

incident meters, on the other hand, are not that expensive and very
useful in many situations. they also double as a reflective meter.
there's usually a sliding white cap to switch between the two modes.
some also can meter flash or spot meter, both of which can also be
useful.
Old April 9th 12, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Ben Brugman

(Actually I don't think he cares about anyone's input - but that's based
on a post from some time ago and his recent follow up).

The OP is still reading this thread.
And I am interrested in the posted opinions.
Some things have come along which I hadn't considered before.

Things as a tripod. (Wouldn't have been practical in the situation).
Flash not as the main light. The available light was not a lot but soft
enough.
The lightning situation of the 'high-tea', that was in a cafe not in a very
light tea-room. But the ceiling and the walls were fairly white.
And some more things were mentioned some of them new to me some of the
things I had thought of before.

Again thanks for your time and attention.
Ben

Old April 9th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
charles

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 09:59:17 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2012-04-08 18:11 , Trevor wrote:
"Alan wrote in message
Obviously you need therapy, drugs or both.

Does everyone need therapy or drugs in order to put up with you?

No but you seem to maybe need them in general.

Not as much as you obviously.

The drugs/therapy comment was in reference to your inability to write two
sentences without a capitalized word in each. Oh, hell there's another one
up there.

The concept of emphasis in print escapes you, hardly surprising.

In the books I read writers rarely, if ever, emphasize with all cap words.

I've seen books where they use italics and bold print. I haven't seen
how to do that on usenet.

Or just heed the words of the great Guru and chill.

Surely you should heed that advice yourself before jumping on anyone
offering reasonable comments next time.

Next time post your reasonable comments in reply to the OP. He wanted
your input.

I did, you butted in.

No. You replied to my reply to the OP.

Old April 9th 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-09 14:52 , charles wrote:

I've seen books where they use italics and bold print.

One measure of well written text is that it is so clear in emotive
tension that no typographical emphasis is needed.

I haven't seen
how to do that on usenet.

/really/ ?
*surely*
_you jest_

But the point us for Trevor's case, emphasis was not needed to
understand what he was saying.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old April 10th 12, 08:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

On 2012-04-08 18:11 , Trevor wrote:
"Alan wrote in message
The drugs/therapy comment was in reference to your inability to write
two
sentences without a capitalized word in each. Oh, hell there's another
one
up there.

The concept of emphasis in print escapes you, hardly surprising.

In the books I read writers rarely, if ever, emphasize with all cap words.

I've seen books where they use italics and bold print. I haven't seen
how to do that on usenet.

Right, you use what you have. I'd rather not resort to HTML, *that* would be
even worse IMO. Why some people find it necessary to whinge about such
simple matters rather than ignore it is a mystery however. If they are
really that worried they should learn how to use a kill file. Won't bother
me at all :-)

Trevor.

Old April 10th 12, 08:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

On 2012-04-09 14:52 , charles wrote:
I've seen books where they use italics and bold print.

One measure of well written text is that it is so clear in emotive tension
that no typographical emphasis is needed.

Let us know when you start so I can take notes :-)

I haven't seen
how to do that on usenet.

/really/ ?
*surely*
_you jest_

So only alternatives suitable for you are allowed, what was it you were
saying about the usenet being for anyone? I sometimes use the second one,
the other two are unclear as to their intent IMO.

But the point us for Trevor's case, emphasis was not needed to understand
what he was saying.

Glad to hear it. But you get to choose your own emphasis, not mine.

Trevor.

Old April 10th 12, 08:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Grey cards are nice but any neutral tone from dark grey to white will do
for the WB function.

And knowing it is neutral under different lighting conditions is a
requirement, but I can't see any reason I would not want a useful exposure
guide at the same time as WB in any case. A card with Black, White and 18%
grey is a useful thing to have in tricky lighting situations IMO.

Trevor.

Old April 10th 12, 08:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Trevor[_2_]

"Alan Browne" wrote in message

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html

Incredibly expensive - at any price.

Eh, $20 for the pocket card is incredibly expensive, but $1000 for a meter
is not?

Trevor.

Old April 10th 12, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

On 2012-04-08 18:11 , Trevor wrote:
"Alan wrote in message
The drugs/therapy comment was in reference to your inability to write
two
sentences without a capitalized word in each. Oh, hell there's another
one
up there.

The concept of emphasis in print escapes you, hardly surprising.

In the books I read writers rarely, if ever, emphasize with all cap words.

I've seen books where they use italics and bold print. I haven't seen
how to do that on usenet.

Right, you use what you have. I'd rather not resort to HTML, *that* would be

Ironic how you just used the de-facto emphasis for bold in your sentence
- even though it wasn't needed.

I'm beginning to think that when you talk your hands must wave all over
the place.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.