P&S camera with GPS?

Old January 14th 18, 12:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

Default P&S camera with GPS?

On 14/01/2018 00:06, micky wrote:
In rec.photo.digital, on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 03:55:30 -0500, micky
wrote:

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

I lost track of who suggested my phone!! I immediately checked the exif
info for pictures I've taken with my previous phone (that broke) and
there was no geo-data.

I had to get a new phone, a better one, but still only $240, and I've
taken a few pictures, but haven't copied them to the computer yet and
don't know if it has geo-data or not. It didn't say it did in the
advertising.

Even though I said I was only a tourist, I like taking pictures with a
real camera. With the phone I feel like a tourist squared! But still,
when I'm some place with no context, or only taking one or two pictures,
or that will be hard to find again, using the phone will be a v. good
idea.

Thanks all.

Possibly my suggestion.

Most phones have GPS included, perhaps your does not, or perhaps there's
an option to enable geo-tagging in the EXIF data. Let's hope the new
phone does.

I used to carry round a Nikon DSLR, but that became too heavy and bulky
for me I move to a micro-four-thirds system (Panasonic GX7) with which
I've been delighted. Of course, I need to geo-tag the pictures so I use
a separate GPS USB-sized stick which I've found very reliable. Having
now upgraded to a Moto G5 plus phone I find the images taken by that
very acceptable, typically for outdoor shots, but also for indoor shots
of restaurant food. There's not 18 x 20 quality, of course, but
adequate for my needs. My latest addition is a very compact P&S camera
with a 30:1 zoom (Panasonic TZ90), the zoom overcoming the limitations
of the phone!

--
Cheers,
David
Old January 14th 18, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

wrote:

[...]

I checked again and in the photo settings, it was the very first one.
I'd seen it and I'd either left it off or turned it off. Oh well.

an option to enable geo-tagging in the EXIF data. Let's hope the new
phone does.

So then I looked in the new phone and I can't even find the settings for
Camera. No, I found it, first tap Mode, then tap the little gear in the
upper right. Save Location Info was on already but Add Time Stamp was
off. I set it on.

So thank you for posting. I would have had GPS but no time or date.
Wait. Will this makde the time and date show on the picture? Ah, yes.
Reading more closely, it says "in photo". I turned it back off.

It's Android 7. something, and it's a Xiaomi phone, Redmi Note 4.

On the main camera screen, it has a setting for flash, HDR, mode,
still/motion, front/back, and Mode. For Mode iit has Panorama, Timer,
Audio, Manual, Straighten (horizontally), Beautify, HHT, Scene, and
Tilt-shift. That sure seems like a lot of settings, more than I can
keep track of.

For example, for Beautify, it has 2 choices when it's on, Show age and
gender, or just Show age. Beaufify is set at the default, Medium. So I
guess that means it will mediumly show their age and gender. I don't
know where it is supposed to show it, though.

I used to carry round a Nikon DSLR, but that became too heavy and bulky
for me I move to a micro-four-thirds system (Panasonic GX7) with which
I've been delighted. Of course, I need to geo-tag the pictures so I use
a separate GPS USB-sized stick which I've found very reliable. Having
now upgraded to a Moto G5 plus phone I find the images taken by that
very acceptable, typically for outdoor shots, but also for indoor shots
of restaurant food. There's not 18 x 20 quality, of course, but
adequate for my needs. My latest addition is a very compact P&S camera
with a 30:1 zoom (Panasonic TZ90), the zoom overcoming the limitations
of the phone!

My camera doesn't have 30:1 and I forget what it has but it's still very
good, and more than the prior one.
Old January 14th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

[...]

I posted links to both an Android GPS logger app and a desktop app for
syncing earlier in this thread... HTH.
--
teleportation kills

Old January 14th 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Sun, 14 Jan 2018 19:23:08 +0100, android
wrote:

[...]

Yeah. there's a lot in this thread and I haven't had time to check those
links yet, but I'm working on it. Thank you.
--
teleportation kills

Old January 17th 18, 06:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Fri, 12 Jan 2018 13:33:23 +0100, android

On 2018-01-12 12:12:00 +0000, David Taylor said:

On 11/01/2018 08:55, micky wrote:
I've finally started going through my 100's of pictures from last spring
-- and it's wonderful -- and I'm pleased to say that in context I can
remember where, usually exactly where, each one was taken.

But I'm 71 and I can see the day coming when I won't remember my name,
so maybe I should consider a camera with GPS. Plus even now, once in a
while, I wish I knew where a lone picture was taken.

OTOH, I'm just a tourist, not what any of you folks would call a
photographer and I like that I can put my current camera in my shirt
pocket, that it doesn't swing around and get broken, doesn't attract
muggers, and doesn't weigh much.

So any chance to find a small P&S camera with GPS or geo-tagging?

If not, what would be the smallest cheapest camera with GPS, or -- I
don't need a make and model -- how big would it be and how much would
it cost?

When I googled I got mostly dash cams, drone cams, etc. so I figured I'd
save time and ask you all.

Mobile phone good enough? Cameras with GPS tend to eat batteries.

Syncing GPX files from mobiles is the goto solution if your camera
don't have integrated GPS.

Put something like GPSLogger on your Android device:

https://gpslogger.en.aptoide.com/

I see what you mean. It suggest 1-3 second intervals, but it seems to
me it only needs to be that fast when I'm in the car. I only take a few
pictures then. Most are taken when I'm walking around, so isn't 5
minutes good enough? At most that's a quarter mile, but more likely
only a couple hundred feet.

And sync with GPSPrune on your computer:

https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html

Aha.

Thanks again.
Old January 17th 18, 07:24 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

On 2018-01-12 12:12:00 +0000, David Taylor said:

[...]

15 s should be fine for walkingabouts...

And sync with GPSPrune on your computer:

https://activityworkshop.net/software/gpsprune/index.html

Aha.

Thanks again.

Prego!
--
teleportation kills

Old January 17th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
micky

In rec.photo.digital, on Sun, 14 Jan 2018 12:08:50 -0500, micky
wrote:

For example, for Beautify, it has 2 choices when it's on, Show age and
gender, or just Show age. Beaufify is set at the default, Medium. So I
guess that means it will mediumly show their age and gender. I don't
know where it is supposed to show it, though.

I found later that Beautify may only apply to the back-facing camera. I
haven't tried it but maybe it displays on the screen then.