Lighting bronzes

Old November 26th 04, 01:33 PM
kate

Default Lighting bronzes

I bought a light cube ( a sort of folding fabric cube) and a spotlight
to help me take photos of my bronze sculptures but I find they come
out very dark and indistinct against the white background. I dont have
much photography experience and wonder it there is a special setting
or lighting technique I should be using. Where is the best place to
put the light and should I have more than one? I would very much
appreciate any helpful advice for a beginner.
Thank you
Kathy
Old November 26th 04, 02:38 PM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"kate" wrote

I bought a light cube ( a sort of folding fabric cube) and a spotlight
to help me take photos of my bronze sculptures but I find they come
out very dark and indistinct against the white background.

Your camera is setting the exposure to take a picture of the white
background as that is what occupies most of the photograph. The
sculpture is darker and so it is darker in the photo.

You need to get the camera to meter the sculpture.

You do not say what type of camera you are using. Try:

1) If you are using an adjustable 35mm camera then:
o get an 18% grey card from the camera store
o set the camera to 'manual' exposure
o place the grey card at the sculpture, facing the camera
o move in close with the camera or light meter
and meter only the grey card
o use this setting for all your shots made with
the same lighting

2) If you are using an automatic camera:
o meter as above
o lock the exposure
o move the camera back to the shooting position, take pic.
you may have to do this for every picture ... automatic
cameras are a bad choice for photographing art

3) If your camera has a 'backlight' setting, try that.

4) Change to a darker background, one that is the same
'value' as the sculpture - 18% reflectance is a good value.
Then when your camera sets itself to take a picture of
the background, the setting will also be correct for the
sculpture. A deep reddish-brown background seems to be
popular for bronzes.

If you are taking color negatives the problem may be with the
photo laboratory. Look at the negatives, if there is lots of
detail in the sculpture then your laboratory is the one giving you
a perfectly exposed print of the white background. Take the
negatives to a proper photographic outfitter (_not_ Boots or Snappy
Snaps on High Street) that has a laboratory in the back and tell
them just what you need - if possible talk to the person making
the prints in the laboratory.

There are several books on photographing works of art. See
if your library has/can order one. Or try Amazon.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Old November 27th 04, 05:53 AM
Gene Palmiter

"kate" wrote in message
om...
I bought a light cube ( a sort of folding fabric cube) and a spotlight
to help me take photos of my bronze sculptures but I find they come
out very dark and indistinct against the white background. I dont have
much photography experience and wonder it there is a special setting
or lighting technique I should be using. Where is the best place to
put the light and should I have more than one? I would very much
appreciate any helpful advice for a beginner.
Thank you
Kathy

Here is a shot I took.
http://palmiter.dotphoto.com/CPViewA...0177857&Page=1

I used a light cube and natural light from a large window to the left. I set
the white balance so the color would be close, and I metered off a grey
card. I think room lights were on. You know....looking at that shot...it
looks like its lit from both sides. I remember the way I was facing....It
looks like the windows to the right were having an effect, too...though they
were far away. I am pretty sure I did not have my lights set up for this
shot. I had just gotten the light box and was trying it out. I remember
thinking that the ones where I used natural light were better than the ones
with flash.