Got my Canon 40D - cant use it in my workflow (doh)

Old September 7th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SpaceMarine

Default Got my Canon 40D - cant use it in my workflow (doh)

so this is my first new camera in ages, and i was pretty excited about
working with it. i used to use Photoshop + Adobe Canon Raw (ACR, guts
behind Bridge), but now i use Lightroom (also uses ACR i believe).

i was pretty bummed to discover LR doesnt recognize the 40D's new .CR2
raw format. refuses to import/convert to DNG. posted on the LR forum
and they said this is standard, wait for a quarterly ACR update, etc.

ok. guess ill have to. but thats lame. i guess theres a big debate on
whether hardware corps should switch to an industry standard file
format, like DNG, or whether they should work w/ Adobe to provide
launch-ready ACR updates, or whether ACR could be "plugin-able" so
Canon can deliver Adobe a new raw "profile" or whatnot.

i dont have the architectural answers for that. but i do know its
pretty lame that i cant really do much w/ my cam. (sure, i could use
canon's software for processing, but when LR supports my CR2 it would
be ignornant of any processing i did)

sm

Old September 7th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sosumi

"SpaceMarine" wrote in message
ps.com...
so this is my first new camera in ages, and i was pretty excited about
working with it. i used to use Photoshop + Adobe Canon Raw (ACR, guts
behind Bridge), but now i use Lightroom (also uses ACR i believe).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it´s Adobe Camera Raw, not Canon ;-))

Old September 7th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SpaceMarine

On Sep 7, 10:54 am, "Sosumi" wrote:

so this is my first new camera in ages, and i was pretty excited about
working with it. i used to use Photoshop + Adobe Canon Raw (ACR, guts
behind Bridge), but now i use Lightroom (also uses ACR i believe).

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it´s Adobe Camera Raw, not Canon ;-))

subliminal typo. rest of the post stands.

Old September 7th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

On Sep 7, 11:45 am, SpaceMarine wrote:
[...]

Dude, what you need is a perfectly LR/ACR - compatible Canon 20D.
Maybe we should just trade?

Old September 7th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Saguenay

"Annika1980" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

Good answer, Annika...
By the way, your recent buterfly and colibri etc pictures were pure gems.
Proof they loved your 20 D.

mb

Old September 7th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
just bob

At least your using a supported app (or at least one which will support the
files). CS2 doesn't like 1D3 files.

Old September 7th 07, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 08:45:08 -0700, SpaceMarine wrote:

[...]

Have you tried dcraw? They tend to get new formats in place pretty quickly.

Old September 8th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Fri, 07 Sep 2007 16:57:43 -0600, ray wrote:

[...]

I note on the dcraw website that if your format is not supported, he'd
like you to upload a photo and he'll work on it. Likely to take less than
three months. My guess would be probably a few days since it's most likely
quite similar to other formats.

Old September 8th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SmartAdvice

wrote:

[...]

Give up on hoping that that ancient 16-bit platform (i.e. PhotoShop) will ever
do anything right. Get and learn PhotoLine 32 from www.pl32.com a full 32-bit
program. It'll read your RAW files just fine, and you have more advanced tools
than in Photoshop. For one, you don't have to use last century's bicubic
interpolation for all your image manipulation tools as Photoshop forces you to
use. Bicubic softens and blurs any fine details when using any tool that depends
on it (rotations, leveling, perspective and lens distortion corrections,
cloning, etc. etc.). You can use a Lanczos8 algorithm in PhotoLine for all your
image manipulation tools which preserves all your fine details. You have no idea
how often PhotoLine's built-in raster to vector conversions come in handy for
making multiple masks and paths. Its raster to vector capabilities far
surpassing programs dedicated just for that purpose. The list of advantages and
things that PhotoLine can do that Photoshop cannot is many. Way too many to list
here.

Dump that crap program PhotoShop and get something more up to date that can
actually do what you need.
Old September 8th 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Peter H.[_2_]

SpaceMarine wrote:
[...]

Maybe you should try to integrate Canon's RAW converter (DPP) into
your workflow, and use it until support for the 40D is available in LR.
DPP supports 16bit TIFF as an output format, so you may be able to use
it just for the basic RAW conversion and do all the fine tuning in LR,
without losing too much quality.
Sure, that's somewhat inconvenient, but I think it's still a better
solution than "not being able to do much with your new camera" for a
few months...

Peter