Nikon D80 and Transcend SDHC 8 GB card

Old January 20th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Default Nikon D80 and Transcend SDHC 8 GB card

Does anybody has any experience with this combination - Nikon D80 and
Transcend SDHC 8 GB card? I saw on the transcendusa.com web site that some
Canon digital cameras are having problems with 4 GB cards even if they
supposed to be absolutely compatible and when people tried to format these
cards they actually were not able to continue working with the camera as
well as the SDHC card. But I also saw one review on the Internet about the
Nikon D80 owner, he tried transcend 8 GB SDHC card and the only one
complaint was - it's slow, but he was working with RAW + JPG images, that
should be slower because of the amount of the data.

Who from the happy owners of the Nikon D80 could share his own experience or
working with these SDHC 8 GB cards? Any formatting problems? Nikon
recommends to reformat the card to get a better performance, but is it
dangerous to do that keeping in mind this sad experience of the Canon guys?

Just D.

Old January 21st 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Freedom55

Just D wrote:
[...]

So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

Ron

--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right

Lennon & McCartney
Old January 21st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Didn't you notice the magic word - SDHC ? Maybe you don't know but it means
Secure Digital.

http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/I...temID=TS8GSDHC

So CF can take a rest here.

Just D.

Old January 21st 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

Ron

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...80_noprint.pdf

Page 142

Old January 21st 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gpaleo

Ο "Freedom55" "joinertake this έγραψε στο μήνυμα
................................................ .....................

So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

Ron

--
And it really doesn't matter if
I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong.

Lennon & McCartney

Bummer why?

Old January 21st 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

Sorry, forgot that I have over 1 MByte/sec down.

But anyway nobody answered the original question.

Just D.

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 14:00:18 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Just D"
wrote:

So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...80_noprint.pdf

Page 142

Oh come on asking someone to dl the full manual at 9+ MB is ridiculous.
You
could have pointed to any review or even the Nikon site at:
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25412
click the Tech Specs tab.
--
Ed Ruf )

Old January 22nd 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Dyer-Bennet

gpaleo wrote:

Ο "Freedom55" "joinertake this έγραψε στο μήνυμα
.................................................. ...................

So, the D80 does not use CF cards?? That's a bummer!

Bummer why?

People upgrading from a D70 have CF cards. People thinking of it as a
possible backup for a D200 or a D2X have CF cards. Having to have a
second set of cards rather spoils some of the purpose of a backup, and
raises the price quite a lot. (We're talking people here who perhaps
already have 16 4GB cards, some of them; getting anything close to that
again in SD is gonna cost more than the D80!)
Old January 22nd 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Rubin

David Dyer-Bennet writes:
possible backup for a D200 or a D2X have CF cards. Having to have a
second set of cards rather spoils some of the purpose of a backup, and
raises the price quite a lot. (We're talking people here who perhaps
already have 16 4GB cards, some of them; getting anything close to
that again in SD is gonna cost more than the D80!)

64GB of SDHC cards is about $560 these days, not pocket change but
less than a D80.

Someone with both a D80 and a D200 wanting to share cards between them
might look into this:

http://sd-to-cf.com/sd_to_cf_adapter.php

Old January 22nd 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Just D

David,

Well, I'd agree, switching from CF to SD is painful, although it also
depends on many factors, for example the out-of-pocket price for a 8 GB card
(class 2) is about 93 USD now and 4 GB (class 6) is about 66 USD. I'm not
talking about crazy stores like CompUSA, BestBuy, etc., still selling 2 GB
SanDisk Ultra II for 120 + taxes. If you cross the street you can find the
same SD card at Costco for 54 INCLUDING taxes (or for 48 without). And the
price is going down step by step.

From another side I honestly can't imagine why I'd buy 16 4GB cards instead
of one or two 8 GB expecting 16-32 cards to be published pretty soon? For a
very long trip where I should shoot many times per minute? I usually make
300-350, maximum 500 shots per day including panoramic photos to be stitched
later. So one 8 GB card will be usable for 4-5 days of very aggressive
shooting in 10.2 mpx JPG fine.

Having one 8 GB plus one 4 GB "in case of extra fast shooting" would solve
most of my problems for a relatively long time including one a few day long
trip, etc. Having to shoot at the office with computers nearby resolves some
other issues like battery and storage.

How many people do you really know who have not even 16, but over 10 4GB
cards?

Just D.

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
. net...