Canon's gaping system holes STILL exist

Old August 21st 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

Default Canon's gaping system holes STILL exist

On Aug 21, 10:59 am, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"RichA" wrote:
On Aug 20, 11:52 pm, "David J. Littleboy" wrote:
"M-M" wrote:
RichA wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200

Why not?

It's not a D200 because it's way better. Better dynamic range (14 bits),
better sensor (Canon not Sony), better lenses (especially in the
telephoto
IS range, which is why you buy an APS-C camera), better upgrade path when
you outgrow the subminiature APS-C sensor.

So if the APS-C is "subminiature" what does that make the FF?
Miniature?

Exactly.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Be interesting if someone took the Olympus route and tried to see how
small they could make a 48mm sensored camera.

Old August 21st 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Gino[_2_]

I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a
big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

Old August 21st 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"Gino" wrote in message
I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a
big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

do you mind if I ask what you don't like about full frame?

Old August 22nd 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David J Taylor[_4_]

Just Shoot Me wrote:
"Gino" wrote in message
I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which
is a big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

do you mind if I ask what you don't like about full frame?

Perhaps he bought a lot of half-frame lenses?

David

Old August 22nd 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 18:33:58 -0700, RichA
wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200 and
so Canon continues without a real prosumer, semi-pro body. Your
choices are simple; $1300 for the 40D then a huge jump of $1500 to
the 5D, which itself is technically inferior (build wise) to the
40D!!! In addition, the creaky old plastic toy 400XTi still exists,
sitting at around $600 with NOTHING above it until you hit the twice
as costly 40D.

And your point is?

I mean beyond complaining that is.

Rich, If you have such a great business plan for Canon why don't you
apply for the CEO's position?

Old August 22nd 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Just Shoot Me

"David J Taylor"
wrote in message . ..
Just Shoot Me wrote:
"Gino" wrote in message
I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which
is a big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

do you mind if I ask what you don't like about full frame?

Perhaps he bought a lot of half-frame lenses?

David

perhaps or perhaps he has both types and is looking to upgrade
his half frame camera.
I guess I was just looking to learn what the difference is.
No biggie as I don't think im going to be getting the new camera until
I catch up on a few other bills.

Old August 22nd 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug McDonald

Just Shoot Me wrote:
"Gino" wrote in message
I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a
big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

do you mind if I ask what you don't like about full frame?

That the mirror is so big that EF-S lenses won't work.

By selling such lenses Canon is pretty much committing to
selling cameras that use them for a long time ... or else
risking customer conniption fits leading to the "N" word

Doug McDonald
Old August 22nd 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

On Aug 21, 5:20 pm, "Just Shoot Me" wrote:
"Gino" wrote in message

I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message

And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a
big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

do you mind if I ask what you don't like about full frame?

Main problem with FF (aside from cost) is the optical "strain" it puts
on lenses. Sensors seem to be pickier than film when it comes to how
they respond to lenses, especially WA lenses. This new 21 meg model
will highlight any lens deficiencies.

Old August 22nd 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

wrote:

The 40D is an upgrade on the 30D, no question. But it's no D200 and
so Canon continues without a real prosumer, semi-pro body. Your
choices are simple; $1300 for the 40D then a huge jump of $1500 to
the 5D, which itself is technically inferior (build wise) to the
40D!!! In addition, the creaky old plastic toy 400XTi still exists,
sitting at around $600 with NOTHING above it until you hit the twice
as costly 40D.

And your point is?

I mean beyond complaining that is.

Rich, If you have such a great business plan for Canon why don't you
apply for the CEO's position?

CEOs will always be Japanese.
Canon CEO Fujio Mitarai

Old August 22nd 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul J Gans

Doug McDonald wrote:
Just Shoot Me wrote:
"Gino" wrote in message
I hope Canon don't make the 50D full frame!

"David J. Littleboy" wrote in message
And there will either be a new 5D fairly soon (probably 16MP, which is a
big upgrade from 10MP), or the 50D will be full frame.

do you mind if I ask what you don't like about full frame?

That the mirror is so big that EF-S lenses won't work.

By selling such lenses Canon is pretty much committing to
selling cameras that use them for a long time ... or else
risking customer conniption fits leading to the "N" word

I agree with Doug on this. There are definite advantages
to the smaller sensor size for the ordinary consumer. Perhaps
the most important are weight (everything is lighter) and
the ease of producing telephoto lenses. The average
consumer seems to be much more interested in long lenses
than in wide angles.

So I don't think the market will go away any time soon.

--
--- Paul J. Gans