How many shots per year does a typical person use his/her digital camera?

Old May 13th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.misc
[email protected]

Default How many shots per year does a typical person use his/her digital camera?

My small 3 MP Panasonic/Lumix digital camera is now 4 years old. I
was
surprised to know that I have clicked over 50,000 photos with it. My
newer Samsung digimax i5 is only 5 months old, and I already used it
over 3000 shots. I am not a commercial or professional, and not even
an enthusiast photographer. Despite of a lot opinions about the
Samsung camera as being a mediocre quality, I appear to grow to like
it with time. It is nice and ultra compact, and I carry it with me in
my pocket all the time. It is slow, but photo quality is not too bad.

My questions are as follows:
- How often are other people, who bought a digital camera at a
supermarket or photo store uses his/her cameras?
- How do camera manufacturers design their cameras to last? How many
shots would the industry be considered to be acceptable, without
loosing their quality?
- If as an amateur, I shot that many pictures, what about
professional
photographers? How many shots did they typically take monthly or
yearly?
- What part of a digital camera which likely to go haywire first?
autofocusing system, metering system, built-in flash, mechanical
components (buttons, springs, etc)?

Just curious and would like to hear feedback from other users.
Thanks