As requested, a comparison between the Epson 4990 and the Nikon 8000ED using 120 film.

Old December 30th 05, 02:46 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Default As requested, a comparison between the Epson 4990 and the Nikon 8000ED using 120 film.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:17:58 -0500, Gregory Blank

rafe b rafebATspeakeasy.net wrote:

I don't think the 4990 scans 8x10 tranparencies.
Your scheme leaves MF film in the lurch.

Uh -Yes it does, surprises me you bought the scanner without knowing this.

I doesn't concern me, exactly, since I'll be scanning 4x5" max.
I stand corrected. I don't have the scanner in hand, yet, so
what I know comes from the specs & reviews, etc.

I guess it depends on what kind of lurch you mean, it offers me better MF
scans than I currently can do using a 2450.

I understand. We all have to compromise somewhere.

I'll be retiring a five year old Epson 1640SU, which
was my first MF scanner. It cost me $400 back then
and sucked from the get-go.

It was a stop-gap. The LS-8000 was still only
"announced" and the next-best-thing was a used
LeafScan 45 on eBay.

These days, my sole use for the 1640 is for making
printer profiles and scanning snapshots, etc.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com
Old December 30th 05, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article ,
rafe b rafebATspeakeasy.net wrote:

I doesn't concern me, exactly, since I'll be scanning 4x5" max.
I stand corrected. I don't have the scanner in hand, yet, so
what I know comes from the specs & reviews, etc.

I figured that was the reason behind you missing that :-)
I appreciate you admitting an error.

I guess it depends on what kind of lurch you mean, it offers me better MF
scans than I currently can do using a 2450.

I understand. We all have to compromise somewhere.

I'll be retiring a five year old Epson 1640SU, which
was my first MF scanner. It cost me $400 back then
and sucked from the get-go.

It was a stop-gap. The LS-8000 was still only
"announced" and the next-best-thing was a used
LeafScan 45 on eBay.

These days, my sole use for the 1640 is for making
printer profiles and scanning snapshots, etc.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com

Personally I would love to be able to afford a
New LS9000 and the Epson 4990. That would certainly cover it all.
--
Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

Old December 30th 05, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

In article ,
Matt Clara wrote:
If it's an easy scan, Nikon scan is easier. If it's a tricky scan, VueScan
offers more control.

Just curious, what kind of controls do you use in VueScan?

I adjust the analog gain in NikonScan, I may enable multi-sample scanning,
and sometimes I select a focus point.

Anything else is done in Photoshop.

(Oh, and I scan all negatives as slides)

Old December 30th 05, 04:13 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Matt Clara wrote:

"Lassi Hippeläinen" wrote in message
Matt Clara wrote:

... I agree that the differences in lightness and dark
could be resolved in the scanning software--that wasn't my focus for
this test, perhaps it should have been.

Did the Epson driver have the Unsharp Mask bit on? My old 1640 does UM by
default. Whenever changing some settings I have to check that it hasn't
become on again...

Yes, it's unsharp is set to medium by default. As time goes on I'll try
all the different settings.

Please do. The best would be to scan with no UM and leave it to Photoshop.
When the grain is visible, UM will make a mess of the image. Just like
awful bokeh.

-- Lassi

Old December 30th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

"Gregory Blank" wrote in message
"Matt Clara" wrote:

Sure it does, there's no film holder for it, but there is a film area
guide
that leaves room for 8x10. The first sample I posted was just scanned
straight off the glass.

I knew there was no holder: However-----
Is there room on the glass to construct a holder and place it? Look at
the other holders and tell me if their out dimensions exceed 8x10.

They all measure 12 x 8 and 3/4.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old December 30th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format

Matt Clara wrote:
Mr. Hamrick desperately needs to hire someone to
design his interface, though--it's not intuitive, even 9 generations on into
its development.

I agree there. Despite many people asking him to rethink the GUI, he
refuses.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.