Nikon 8000 demo unit vs. Nikon 8000 refurb vs. Nikon 9000

Old April 9th 04, 03:41 AM
JR

Default Nikon 8000 demo unit vs. Nikon 8000 refurb vs. Nikon 9000

OK...I need a MF scanner. I am looking at the Nikon 8000 and the Nikon
9000. The 8000 I can get for $1400 for a new demo unit from a store
with full warranty, or $1450 for a Nikon factory refurb with a 90 day
warranty, or the new 9000 at $2000. So which one? I am leaning toward
the demo unit. In a camera store, how many times is a medium format
scanner used? And this is a low traffic camera store. It looks brand
new, comes with everything, box, manuals, warranty card, cables,
holders, etc... The new refurb is just that a Nikon factory refurb.
And the 9000 is new. I would prefer not to spend the $2k on the 9000,
but in a year you won't remember that extra $500, especially if the
scans are that good. Then I wanna know how good the 35mm scanning is as
well. Can I sell my Minolta 5400 and not miss anything? I know there
is a little less resolution, but what else?

JR
Old April 10th 04, 07:34 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

I don't have the Minolta, but the 35mm scanning on my 8000 is fantastic. You
get right down to the grain particles if you want. It's not the fastest but
also Digital Ice is brilliant, producing perfect results from very damaged
negatives. Does not work (ICE) with Kodachrome or B&W, however.
I say get the Demo model.

Old April 10th 04, 05:40 PM
Jos. Burke

Well, I have a different reply/opinion as the prevois poster. I,too, am very
interested in a MF (Nikon , in particular!!) scanner. I have an Epson 2450
and will keep it for the 4x5 scan ability but it really doesn't impress me
with the MF scans. One particular 120 pos (my positive in fact !!) scanned
by me on my 2450 versus a Nikon 8008 (at my local lab) proved to me the
Nikon was absolutely superior in every respect-hands down with no thinking
on my part the Epson was almost as good-it's not!!.
Okay, to get back on track, isn't the Nikon 9000 supposed to be able to scan
b&w and Kodachrome? In my book I would blow the extra $500 for the premium
(9000) scanner.
J Burke